Thread: 1985 SEI Need help with front suspension parts

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

1985 SEI Need help with front suspension parts

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdaedalus View Post
    Hey guys, sorry that I haven't posted pictures. Geez, I must be the last guy with a 2g Accord looking at the activity in the 2g forum lol. I'm going to replace all four struts this weekend and have the rear suspension assembly from a 2g Prelude coming (hoping I can swap for disc brake lol - why? because I can).

I think I'm going to dump a grand or two into it and keep it for a daily. I can get an F23A~ for about $400 bucks. Not sure if it will fit, but it looks pretty close. Do you guys think I should try it? I'm a professional Machinist. I can handle the fab/engineering if it will fit in the bay.
    Hi! I know it's years since this was last active but i'm in desperate need of help with my 1985 Accord Hatchback. I really need to replace the front suspension and I would love to upgrade it from the original. What parts/ struts did you find that fit a 1985 accord?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: 1985 SEI Need help with front suspension parts

Quote Originally Posted by Bringgles View Post
    Hi! I know it's years since this was last active but i'm in desperate need of help with my 1985 Accord Hatchback. I really need to replace the front suspension and I would love to upgrade it from the original. What parts/ struts did you find that fit a 1985 accord?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

Rockauto list the stock style strut. That be a good place to start.

I would do the strut rod bushing as well they wear pretty quick.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...d+bushing,7608
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Now running E85.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Honda Accord

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I saw that Rockauto list the stock style strut but unfortunately they only have one in stock and it's from a closeout so there won't be more in stock.

Wow dayum those are some heavy in the pocket coilovers! They look so nice though

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

"Closeouts" at Rock usually mean that the packaging is damaged, not that there won't be any more. It all depends on what they find in whatever old warehouse they buy.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Bringgles View Post
    Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I saw that Rockauto list the stock style strut but unfortunately they only have one in stock and it's from a closeout so there won't be more in stock.

Wow dayum those are some heavy in the pocket coilovers! They look so nice though
    There were two on a craiglist add when I searched a few days ago...they are out there.

Ill disagree with the Dr on the closeouts...I buy them all the time and its just old stock they have picked up from somewhere else so there is no telling when they will get more or if ever. Everything I have gotten from there like thats just been NIB but old.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Well they like you better than me. Every "closeout" I've bought from them looked like a forklift drove over it. I buy them when there's no alternative, and I don't expect much when I do.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 Accord Hatchback

So funny I found this. I'm the poor idiot who bought the last one on Rock Auto and got burned. Thats why I even stumbled across this thread. I had bought two front struts from Rock a year or so back. Finally installed them on my 85 hatch. One is clunking and something is wrong internally. I was all excited Rock had one left. Ordered it the other day and it arrives today. I tore into the box like a 5 year old at Christmas. Lo and behold there was oil everywhere and the strut was compressed and wouldn't rebound. Beyond pissed. I cant find another one and so I've been on the web all night. I've perused this forum before but never registered. I had to register so I could tell my story. Hope I can find another one! It took 3 months to find some NOS KYB struts for the rear. Talk about frustration. Anyone know of another solution? Thanks for the info guys.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by andyz325 View Post
    So funny I found this. I'm the poor idiot who bought the last one on Rock Auto and got burned. Thats why I even stumbled across this thread. I had bought two front struts from Rock a year or so back. Finally installed them on my 85 hatch. One is clunking and something is wrong internally. I was all excited Rock had one left. Ordered it the other day and it arrives today. I tore into the box like a 5 year old at Christmas. Lo and behold there was oil everywhere and the strut was compressed and wouldn't rebound. Beyond pissed. I cant find another one and so I've been on the web all night. I've perused this forum before but never registered. I had to register so I could tell my story. Hope I can find another one! It took 3 months to find some NOS KYB struts for the rear. Talk about frustration. Anyone know of another solution? Thanks for the info guys.
    Well thank you for registering and tell us and I hope Rock gives you your money back.

In the end you guys will have to get together and find a solution of either having someone make you cutom struts or finding a set that can be modified to work with your car.
    Now running E85.