Thread: 87 accord, Before I buy

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

87 accord, Before I buy

Hey guys. Brand new here. Saw an ad for a 1987 Accord LX with 300xxx Km. I went researching and have a few questions. I keep seeing people complaining about the fact that it’s carbed. I’ve never driven anything this old and was wondering if it was true you have to pump the gas a few times every start, and that they can be very temperamental in my region (northern Saskatchewan) due to temp fluxuating. Aside from differences from a modern car, is there anything I should look out for and ask about with these cars, like if the timing belt has been done.
    -Thank you all in advance

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: 87 accord, Before I buy

Yes you pump the gas a few times before starting. If the carb is working then it will start up in any kind of weather if not it needs rebuilt or swapped out with a Weber carb.

My biggest concern for anyone getting into any car this age is, are you mechanically inclined? Are you willing to fix a bunch of little things here and there yourself or pay to have them fixed all the time. If you aren't but are wanting to get into cars and fixing them, these are great cars to start on because they are so simple to work on and many things can break but it still get you from A to B.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Thank you for the info. And I don’t really have a problem doing regular jobs like valve gaskets and stuff. Was about to do the head gasket on my old 99 civic before it got hit. It’s mostly just the carbed part that’s got me a little worried since I’ve never used on before

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Every carbed car is different, if you learn its temperment on a normal weather day then it will probably start no matter what you do, you can see if it likes the throttle pumped or not, and when it gets a little bit colder see if its preference changes. Mine doesn't typically care if I pump the gas, but sometimes I will crank it and then give it a touch of gas. There is not really any adjustment you need to do for this carburetor, its basically runs the way it was set from the factory, as long as all the vacuum jazz is in working order.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I think you'll be fine and will adjust to carb life easily.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

at this age and that mileage I would worry about rust.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Awaiting Activation
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback PGMI

My own personal opinion is F carbs. If someone ran cheap ethanol gas then the whole carb system will be clogged up, the whole fuel system will have 10% water in it and every vaccum line and system has to be working right or youll chase idle nightmares the entire life of the car. To me? Its not worth it. If these old cars have 100 things going wrong with it, then a carbed version has the potentional for 110 unless you have every piece of rubber replaced, every vaccum line working and every gasket solid, with no leaks. A perfectly running , well maintaned carb from an owner that knows how to take care of old carb cars? Sure! It will sound great, run cheap, be cheap to maintain. ANything less than the perfect former owner of an old carb car and you can forget it man. Thats just my take.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by fortekosakku View Post
    My own personal opinion is F carbs. If someone ran cheap ethanol gas then the whole carb system will be clogged up, the whole fuel system will have 10% water in it and every vaccum line and system has to be working right or youll chase idle nightmares the entire life of the car. To me? Its not worth it. If these old cars have 100 things going wrong with it, then a carbed version has the potentional for 110 unless you have every piece of rubber replaced, every vaccum line working and every gasket solid, with no leaks. A perfectly running , well maintaned carb from an owner that knows how to take care of old carb cars? Sure! It will sound great, run cheap, be cheap to maintain. ANything less than the perfect former owner of an old carb car and you can forget it man. Thats just my take.
    I can assure you theyre def not that bad and it can handle ethanol just fine, unless its been sitting with ethanol gas for more than a year without stabilizer. If he is buying a running car there is not a ton to worry about