Thread: Do small brake and big brake models have the same knuckles?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Do small brake and big brake models have the same knuckles?

So the upper trim models have the 10.3" rotors and fits the wilwood kit https://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK...ord&option=SEI The wilwood kit also fits all other 10.3” rotors and this really makes me think that it will not fit the carb model cars. I don't think anyone is willing to spend the money to find out...
    Another popular brake kit for Hondas is a 986 boxster caliper which several companies make radial brackets for. This is one and they specify the caliper mount centers to spindle centerline, it is 76mm for a 10.3" rotor civic. See here: https://honeddevelopments.com/produc...-mounting-kit/ They have another kit for the 9.5" rotor, but do not specify the measurements, so I emailed them and checked the mount center to spindle centerline on my DX and I got 60mm. Here is that kit: https://honeddevelopments.com/produc...r-mounting-kit

So we might have another brake option that fits, but I haven't really found a lot of 986 calipers for a decent price... The bad thing is now the carb cars might have no other aftermarket brake alternatives, one can definitely be made, but it's tricky. What I really want is this radial mount kit, but with wilwood calipers instead of Porsche ones

What I need from someone with an 88/89 LXI or sei is the measurement from the centers of the caliper bolts to the middle of the spindle like the pictures below. I already checked the part numbers for the knuckles and they are different, but have been superceded to the same part.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Do small brake and big brake models have the same knuckles?

Ill keep this short I think you could just use the whole Civic control arms and cut to the chase or use our 10.3" brake control arms. I think I looked at this setup and the Porsche brembo not ready available and Prorshce tax.

I was watching this video today and they were doing the spoon split caliper kit, its side mount not stud. its starts at 11 min mark. Use standard brake pads too not Brembo high bucks.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Well it would be really cool to use a wilwood dynalite with something like the mini Cooper rotors. I don't really think we can use civic knuckles if that's what you're saying. It would be really good to know the measurement though

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Since these brackets mount behind the ears im sure you can mess with the spacing by adding spacers or milling the bracket some. In this video he says all the arms are the same and I more or less agree. The acura for sure mounts up. its all the alignment and sweep stuff you would have to check out.

The first video I found the spacers behind the rotor interesting but wonder why they did it that way.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I am less worried about the spacing back and forth looking at the face of the wheel, I am worried about the distance of the length of the mounting ears measured from the center of the spindle. So on a civic the calipers might be exactly the same aside from the piston diameter, lets say they are the exact same caliper though, but the low trims ship with the 9.5" rotor and the upper trims ship with the 10.3" rotor, the way they fit a larger diameter rotor is the ears are longer and further away from the center of the spindle.
    I guess if the low trim accords have a different knuckle with short ears then if we find a radial mount caliper then I don't really see a problem spacing them out away from center, but it is definitely a problem for lug mounted calipers. It would be really nice to get the measurements from an 88/89 lxi