Thread: Sway bar from 88 dx into 87lxi

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

Sway bar from 88 dx into 87lxi

Hello. I saw somewhere that the sway bars from the 88s are thicker than 87. I have an 87 lxi hatch and there's a 88 dx hatch at my local pick n pull. Should I grab the sway bar from that car? Mine handles like crap lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Sway bar from 88 dx into 87lxi

Its not the year its that DX and LX front sway bars are smaller, and the LXI and SEI front sway bars are bigger.

The SEI is the only one that came with the rear sway bar.

They are interchangeable. I doubt you would notice much difference swapping it over, your handling is probably due to any of the other suspension components being worn out and/or out of alignment.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

See this is why I made this post lol. The Lxi comes with rear sway bars. Mine has a rear sway bar. I might just measure my front one with calipers and measure the one at pick n pull.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You can use a rear swaybar from a 4th gen, its bigger than any 3rd gen bar

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

I ended up looking at front sway bars from two 88+ Accords. One was a hatch and the other was a 4 door. Both were DX models and both had thin front sway bars so I didn't pick one up. I did however get a rear sway bar from a 4th gen accord and I'm happy with it. It required zero modifications to put in contrary to what i've seen in other posts. I'll keep an eye out for an 88+ lxi.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Honestly, I wouldnt mess with the front swaybar until you find its limits. I have one of the heavier modified cars around here, using the dx front bar with poly bushings and a 4th gen rear bar with integra adjustable links, I wouldn't change a thing about the swaybars as is, they feel great, front has a ton of grip and the rear doesnt drag and understeer on entry, but it doesn't rotate so much that you are likely to swap ends. If anything I would go stiffer on the rear if I wanted a more aggressive car, but only after going to coilovers. Currently I am on Skunk2 crx front springs and cut rears with kyb excel g shocks, sounds janky, but after going back to stock springs on the back (I had the same springs as front with coilover sleeves) I am very happy with the spring rate balance and the damping is excellent, it made me decide not to worry about coilovers until I literally have nothing else to do with the car.