Thread: 1987 LXi Hatch brake lights...

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LXi hatchback

1987 LXi Hatch brake lights...

So I'm pretty sure my brake lights worked before all this. I usually back into a spot in the morning to park for work and I see the wall behind light up red when I touch the brakes. That changed after I messed with the retractor in my passenger door.

The other day I took it upon myself to finally try and get the retractor in my door to stop clicking and get the light of my dash that is always on. I had read on some forum about unplugging them and using a paperclip as a jumper. So I tried to do it from memory and wound up sticking the paper clips in the retractor connection on the harness NOT the plug under the seat as the forum said...

Now my dash has this incessant flashing seatbelt light and a seatbelt/door light on. The other thing is that the brake lights don't work. I was reading on the forum that I could pull the fuse for the retractors to stop all the stuff that was happening but also read it kills your break lights. So naturally I checked my brake lights to see if they worked after I pulled the fuse and also when I replaced it and they didn't work. I also replaced it with another fuse to make sure I didn't put a bad one in or blow it when I was jumping wires. I also replaced the bulbs.

As the car sits now there's no jumpers and everything is plugged back in the way it was. Still no brake lights. I know they worked before. I'm worried I burnt something up in the harness or maybe on a circuit board? I was thinking it makes sense the brakes are connected to this circuit somehow because of the seatbelts locking when you press on the brakes possibly.
    Last edited by Nate Bannon; 07-25-2022 at 04:21 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

Re: 1987 LXi Hatch brake lights...

Solved... It was the fuse under the hood

DX User
    Vehicle

Solved... It was the fuse under the hood

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Good job...im a little surprised the re-tractor for the seat belts and the brake lights are on the same fuse under the dash.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

In case anyone else sees this thread. Your horn also won't work if this fuse is blown.