Thread: Whats up?

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Whats up?

Whats up guys, been lurking the forums for a few weeks leading up to purchasing a 1987 Accord DX today. Joining up here now because I'm sure ill need the help lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Whats up?

Welcome. Were here to help.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Welcome. Were here to help.
    Ive seen you around here alot, love the car aswell. Any tips for a pre EFI swaped DX haha

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

What state are you from?

Nothing wrong with the DX, I know everyone desires the fuel injection and while it does give you more power there is nothing like still driving a carb car around, especially if you swap a Weber on there. Is this going to be a daily driver or just a fun project car? 5 speed or automatic?

First thing i would make sure basic maintenance has been done. Fluid checks, changes, suspension components such as ball joints, brakes, brake lines, etc. 35 year old car here, anything could be bad or screwed up over the years, check it all just to make it a good driver first.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 accord

Hello, welcome

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyPeary View Post
    Ive seen you around here alot, love the car aswell. Any tips for a pre EFI swaped DX haha
    Swapping the Keihin PGM-CARB (?) system out and converting to PGM-FI is nigh suicidal. Just Weber swap it if the stock carb setup is that bad to you.
    Last edited by RI86DX; 09-22-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

And a weber will probably make more power than efi anyway

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    What state are you from?

Nothing wrong with the DX, I know everyone desires the fuel injection and while it does give you more power there is nothing like still driving a carb car around, especially if you swap a Weber on there. Is this going to be a daily driver or just a fun project car? 5 speed or automatic?

First thing i would make sure basic maintenance has been done. Fluid checks, changes, suspension components such as ball joints, brakes, brake lines, etc. 35 year old car here, anything could be bad or screwed up over the years, check it all just to make it a good driver first.
    i meant more in the seen you around the forum sense, part of me wants to keep that carb but i have no experience with carbs just the basic knowledge of how they work lmao

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by RI86DX View Post
    Swapping the Keihin PGM-CARB (?) system out and converting to PGM-FI is nigh suicidal. Just Weber swap it if the stock carb setup is that bad to you.
    it has the weber 32/36 rn i think, i know it mightve been swapped at some point from the hitachi because i have a cruise control button and all that

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    And a weber will probably make more power than efi anyway
    then the weber stays, my only worry is its a daily
    Last edited by ThatGuyPeary; 09-26-2022 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Cant remember numbers worth a damn

Vehicle

If yours is the beige one that was for sale laid up in some guy's back yard in Middleboro, then yep, it's been weber swapped.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

If yours is the beige one that was for sale laid up in some guy's back yard in Middleboro, then yep, it's been weber swapped.
    the one i found was in quincy, its gold with the brown interior

Vehicle

Oh yeah, the California one. That one's been Weber swapped. It's also got those oldschool aftermarket star wheels that seemingly every Japanese car on the west coast had back in the late 80's-early 90's. That car is perfect, I'd keep it just the way it is. Just make sure you garage it and don't drive it in the winter.
    Last edited by RI86DX; 09-27-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Oh yeah, the California one. That one's been Weber swapped. It's also got those oldschool aftermarket star wheels that seemingly every Japanese car on the west coast had back in the late 80's-early 90's. That car is perfect, I'd keep it just the way it is. Just make sure you garage it and don't drive it in the winter.
    YIKES, its my daily, i plan to get it winterized though so that should help alot
    1987 Accord DX 4D, 105K miles

Vehicle

YIKES, its my daily, i plan to get it winterized though so that should help alot
    Dunno how you plan on winterizing it but you're going to have to winterize it real good with how MA road salt is. My car has layers upon layers of this oil/tar substance on everything structural, called "Auto Armor" and even then I wouldn't drive it in the winter.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Dunno how you plan on winterizing it but you're going to have to winterize it real good with how MA road salt is. My car has layers upon layers of this oil/tar substance on everything structural, called "Auto Armor" and even then I wouldn't drive it in the winter.
    i plan to use a bunch of that and i also work at a car dealership that has a detail guy, so every so often i can grab his stuff and spray the underside, idk about taking it through our carwash though, what are your thoughts on that. not touchless or anything but it had undercarriage sprayers. Who knows maybe next time the maintinace guy for it is there i can convince him to sneak in a preset with just the undercarriage sprayers and soap with no spinner things

Vehicle

i plan to use a bunch of that and i also work at a car dealership that has a detail guy, so every so often i can grab his stuff and spray the underside, idk about taking it through our carwash though, what are your thoughts on that. not touchless or anything but it had undercarriage sprayers. Who knows maybe next time the maintinace guy for it is there i can convince him to sneak in a preset with just the undercarriage sprayers and soap with no spinner things
    Sounds like a plan, just be aware that if any moisture finds it's way through the rust proofing some real nasty shit will start and it'll be a game of chutes & ladders trying to fight it from rusting inside out.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

Sounds like a plan, just be aware that if any moisture finds it way through the rust proofing some real nasty shit will start and it'll be a game of shoots & ladders trying to fight it from rusting inside out.
    L&C, I drove it to work for the first time today and im defiantly hearing some weird stuff, some weird wires i found that are coming out of the drivers side near the tower is one, defiantly some suspension sound. The seller had mentioned that the lower control arm was next on the list so i do have one of those on hand if its that. Its a bit hard of a shift from park/Neutral and while going 1-2 2-3 and that, but if i go from d to r it doesn't jump as much. its not so bad i would say its critical but if its the thickness of the fluid then itll only get worse as winter rolls in. My 22 year old brain has the insatiable urge to b20 it but Ive reserved that for when then engine is too much to repair.
    Last edited by ThatGuyPeary; 09-27-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Vehicle

I'd suggest keeping the weber'd A20A1, you don't have to deal with the stock Keihin feedback carb rats nest anymore so it's smooth sailing from there.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

I'd suggest keeping the weber'd A20A1, you don't have to deal with the stock Keihin feedback carb rats nest anymore so it's smooth sailing from there.
    true, i just want some power and i know i wont get much more where its at lol, if blow through turbos were reliable i would do it. for now maybe ill do some minor stuff maybe some good spacers and coilovers but nothing crazy. b swap is for when most people would call it junkyard material

Vehicle

I like the current wheel/suspension set up it has, it looks period correct.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX

I like the current wheel/suspension set up it has, it looks period correct.
    I think it does too, I just don't like how much it drops when people get in lol, figured some coils might help that