Thread: Brand new to 3geez and brand new to Honda (p.s. sorry for long intro)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Brand new to 3geez and brand new to Honda (p.s. sorry for long intro)

Hello, my name's Mike and I bought myself a white 1989 Accord LX-i about 7 months ago, it runs alright but I have been trying to fix up the AC and generally restore the car so I'll be around here reading and checking out stuff and all-around how-to's. I've already had my eyes opened to the fact that many of the parts I will need, I won't come across any more, so any advice and help will be appreciated!

Here are some issues I came upon when I first got the car for a bit of insight on my short journey so far:
    -The CV joints were worn and making a clicking noise when turning left (got those replaced)
    -Compressor didn't work (bought a remanufactured one) ((AC still hasn't worked, would get recharged, blew cold for the drive home, turned the car off, then on and blew hot))
    -The spark plug hole threads were cross-threaded(had those rethreaded)
    Issues not fixed yet:
    -I've got a rough idle (I think??) at around 750 Rpms engine vibrates. And now when I put the car in park after a drive, Rpms go a bit crazy going up and down
    -Engine vibrates heavily when driving highway speeds (above 55 mph) ((most probably the mounts need replacing)
    -Some light metallic rattle I still don't get the gist of what it may be
    -Gas level gauge does not mark (or marks wrong)
    -Discovered that I have a code 13 even though the Check Engine light is off
    -some very mild aesthetic issues here and there

I really want to restore the car first before I make any changes like an engine swap in the future so here's what I've noticed so far. If anyone's got a bit of advice for me I'd gladly appreciate the help, and If there are any threads for these please drop a link or word of where to look! I'll try an document my progress somewhere either here, on Instagram, or Youtube!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Brand new to 3geez and brand new to Honda (p.s. sorry for long intro)

Quote Originally Posted by TableMilk View Post
    Hello, my name's Mike and I bought myself a white 1989 Accord LX-i about 7 months ago, it runs alright but I have been trying to fix up the AC and generally restore the car so I'll be around here reading and checking out stuff and all-around how-to's. I've already had my eyes opened to the fact that many of the parts I will need, I won't come across any more, so any advice and help will be appreciated!

Here are some issues I came upon when I first got the car for a bit of insight on my short journey so far:
    -The CV joints were worn and making a clicking noise when turning left (got those replaced)
    -Compressor didn't work (bought a remanufactured one) ((AC still hasn't worked, would get recharged, blew cold for the drive home, turned the car off, then on and blew hot))
    -The spark plug hole threads were cross-threaded(had those rethreaded)
    Issues not fixed yet:
    -I've got a rough idle (I think??) at around 750 Rpms engine vibrates. And now when I put the car in park after a drive, Rpms go a bit crazy going up and down
    -Engine vibrates heavily when driving highway speeds (above 55 mph) ((most probably the mounts need replacing)
    -Some light metallic rattle I still don't get the gist of what it may be
    -Gas level gauge does not mark (or marks wrong)
    -Discovered that I have a code 13 even though the Check Engine light is off
    -some very mild aesthetic issues here and there

I really want to restore the car first before I make any changes like an engine swap in the future so here's what I've noticed so far. If anyone's got a bit of advice for me I'd gladly appreciate the help, and If there are any threads for these please drop a link or word of where to look! I'll try an document my progress somewhere either here, on Instagram, or Youtube!
    Welcome to the forums!

There are post here on most of what you listed just take your time and do some reading.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!