Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

  1. #1
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Driver Door will not unlock

    My door lock is currently stuck down and I tried prying it up and pulling the fuse everything I could do but the thing is just stuck down, itís a 86 LX the thing just broke overnight. Not sure what it could be besides a stuck actuator but I canít replace it cause the door is stuck closed and locked and I cannot unlock it manually with the key or anything. Any ideas? Iím planning on pulling the seat out so I can access the panel theoretically speaking but how do I get it all the way out it like glued at the top. Alternatively Iíll modify a different door lock actuator to fit in it and post it here if I cant get it to work.
    Last edited by HubertTheHonda; 11-16-2022 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Bad title



  2. #2


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: Driver Door will not unlock

    Quote Originally Posted by HubertTheHonda View Post
    My door lock is currently stuck down and I tried prying it up and pulling the fuse everything I could do but the thing is just stuck down, itís a 86 LX the thing just broke overnight. Not sure what it could be besides a stuck actuator but I canít replace it cause the door is stuck closed and locked and I cannot unlock it manually with the key or anything. Any ideas? Iím planning on pulling the seat out so I can access the panel theoretically speaking but how do I get it all the way out it like glued at the top. Alternatively Iíll modify a different door lock actuator to fit in it and post it here if I cant get it to work.

    I think you and I are the only ones old enough to understand the Dukes of Hazard reference.

    Good luck with your problem I dont have any ideas.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

    Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

  3. #3

    ShiRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX / 18 Civic Type R
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I think you and I are the only ones old enough to understand the Dukes of Hazard reference.

    Good luck with your problem I dont have any ideas.
    I'm 25, ain't that like half the age of you old geezers lol

    When I saw dukes of Hazzard in this forum though I thought somebody was talking about jumped their accord and I cringed.

    Just do not Bo Duke over the hood, you will leave a dent. Those chargers were built different.

  4. #4
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I'm 25, ain't that like half the age of you old geezers lol

    When I saw dukes of Hazzard in this forum though I thought somebody was talking about jumped their accord and I cringed.

    Just do not Bo Duke over the hood, you will leave a dent. Those chargers were built different.
    I was gonna say Iím 19 and know that. However I could jump the ol accord my oil pan has a warranty for a reason. I have a game plan now to fix the door Iíll update my findings here.

  5. #5

    conozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 235,000 Miles, Daily Driver
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    38 here and the show was on just a few years before my time but anybody being a car guy should know it.

    And yes, a Bo Duke over the hood will put a dent on it. There is a little evidence of that on my hood still 20 years later.


    I dont think you can take the panel off with the door closed because of the dash being in the way but you may be able to roll the window down and reach in the cavity with a slim jim, you must have a disconnected or jammed rod or something.

    1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

  6. #6
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    So the only way I can think of opening the door period is cutting it open from the front with an angle grinder and manual releasing the lock. I tracked down a door for half the cost of a new door lock actuator so this is how it’s going to work. I tried slim jimming it and it would grab but immediately go back down to lock so it wouldn’t unlock. I’ll post how this worked out for me next week when I do it.

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    5,046

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    Well if its that bad I would cut the door cover inside before I would cut the outside of the door.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

    Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

  8. #8
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    Welp I cut the door on the outside cause I canít find a new inside door panel thatís blue in my local yard. Itíll be a pretty simple fix, I got the door open just a few cuts about a 6x4 hole above the door trim on the outside then youíll wanna take a screwdriver and pop the door lock rod off the actuator and it will release the lock you might be able to access it from the inside but itís a real pain the rear end. I have a new to me actuator to replace it with. The door will open but not lock cause the rod it disconnected from the mechanism. You might have to bust the actuator open to get it to open but a big screwdriver and some pent up rage will crack it open like an egg. I have some pictures of it but Iím not sure how to post them here.

  9. #9
    SEi User 88accordalltheway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    Location
    So Cal, Orange Co.
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    You cut the door from the outside? Good lordy.

    Why didnt you take it to a shop? Even if they charged you $200 to open the door it would have been cheaper than dealing with a hole on the OUTSIDE of your car.
    Kevin

  10. #10
    DX User
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordalltheway View Post
    You cut the door from the outside? Good lordy.

    Why didnt you take it to a shop? Even if they charged you $200 to open the door it would have been cheaper than dealing with a hole on the OUTSIDE of your car.
    I did take it to a shop and thatís what they said to do and Iím like well okay. I have another door to put on it or I can practice my patch skills while Iím at it. Worse case scenario I put the new door on and shoot it with some paint so it matches.

Similar Threads

  1. 87 Accord hazard and turn signal fault
    By gary1001 in forum Classic Honda Community Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2015, 04:00 AM
  2. Signal/Hazard issue.
    By JDM A20_Sedan CA5 in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:44 PM
  3. brake/hazard lights
    By Drucifer in forum 2geez Accords
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
  4. hazard lights
    By bigal004321 in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
  5. any one gotta picture of the factory foglights for the accord??
    By buds302 in forum Interior & Exterior Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 06:08 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.
     
VigLink badge