Thread: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Driver Door will not unlock

My door lock is currently stuck down and I tried prying it up and pulling the fuse everything I could do but the thing is just stuck down, it’s a 86 LX the thing just broke overnight. Not sure what it could be besides a stuck actuator but I can’t replace it cause the door is stuck closed and locked and I cannot unlock it manually with the key or anything. Any ideas? I’m planning on pulling the seat out so I can access the panel theoretically speaking but how do I get it all the way out it like glued at the top. Alternatively I’ll modify a different door lock actuator to fit in it and post it here if I cant get it to work.
    Last edited by HubertTheHonda; 11-16-2022 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Bad title

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Driver Door will not unlock

Quote Originally Posted by HubertTheHonda View Post
    My door lock is currently stuck down and I tried prying it up and pulling the fuse everything I could do but the thing is just stuck down, it’s a 86 LX the thing just broke overnight. Not sure what it could be besides a stuck actuator but I can’t replace it cause the door is stuck closed and locked and I cannot unlock it manually with the key or anything. Any ideas? I’m planning on pulling the seat out so I can access the panel theoretically speaking but how do I get it all the way out it like glued at the top. Alternatively I’ll modify a different door lock actuator to fit in it and post it here if I cant get it to work.

I think you and I are the only ones old enough to understand the Dukes of Hazard reference.

Good luck with your problem I dont have any ideas.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: I gotta dukes of hazard into my accord

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I think you and I are the only ones old enough to understand the Dukes of Hazard reference.

Good luck with your problem I dont have any ideas.
    I'm 25, ain't that like half the age of you old geezers lol

When I saw dukes of Hazzard in this forum though I thought somebody was talking about jumped their accord and I cringed.

Just do not Bo Duke over the hood, you will leave a dent. Those chargers were built different.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I'm 25, ain't that like half the age of you old geezers lol

When I saw dukes of Hazzard in this forum though I thought somebody was talking about jumped their accord and I cringed.

Just do not Bo Duke over the hood, you will leave a dent. Those chargers were built different.
    I was gonna say I’m 19 and know that. However I could jump the ol accord my oil pan has a warranty for a reason. I have a game plan now to fix the door I’ll update my findings here.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

38 here and the show was on just a few years before my time but anybody being a car guy should know it.

And yes, a Bo Duke over the hood will put a dent on it. There is a little evidence of that on my hood still 20 years later.

I dont think you can take the panel off with the door closed because of the dash being in the way but you may be able to roll the window down and reach in the cavity with a slim jim, you must have a disconnected or jammed rod or something.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

So the only way I can think of opening the door period is cutting it open from the front with an angle grinder and manual releasing the lock. I tracked down a door for half the cost of a new door lock actuator so this is how itÂ’s going to work. I tried slim jimming it and it would grab but immediately go back down to lock so it wouldnÂ’t unlock. IÂ’ll post how this worked out for me next week when I do it.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well if its that bad I would cut the door cover inside before I would cut the outside of the door.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Welp I cut the door on the outside cause I can’t find a new inside door panel that’s blue in my local yard. It’ll be a pretty simple fix, I got the door open just a few cuts about a 6x4 hole above the door trim on the outside then you’ll wanna take a screwdriver and pop the door lock rod off the actuator and it will release the lock you might be able to access it from the inside but it’s a real pain the rear end. I have a new to me actuator to replace it with. The door will open but not lock cause the rod it disconnected from the mechanism. You might have to bust the actuator open to get it to open but a big screwdriver and some pent up rage will crack it open like an egg. I have some pictures of it but I’m not sure how to post them here.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI

You cut the door from the outside? Good lordy.

Why didnt you take it to a shop? Even if they charged you $200 to open the door it would have been cheaper than dealing with a hole on the OUTSIDE of your car.
    Kevin

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by 88accordalltheway View Post
    You cut the door from the outside? Good lordy.

Why didnt you take it to a shop? Even if they charged you $200 to open the door it would have been cheaper than dealing with a hole on the OUTSIDE of your car.
    I did take it to a shop and that’s what they said to do and I’m like well okay. I have another door to put on it or I can practice my patch skills while I’m at it. Worse case scenario I put the new door on and shoot it with some paint so it matches.