Thread: Yet another carb motor not idling

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 DX

Yet another carb motor not idling

Well, back on my bullshit I suppose. 89 LX, A1 of course.

Car ran ""well enough"" yesterday or at least as well as holding idle and not dying constantly. My alternator was failing and voltage was all over so I replaced it, put the car back together, took it on a test drive and it was fine, go to the gas station and fill up, then all of a sudden boom, car stalled coming to a stop.

Now it won't hold idle at all hot, fast/cold idle still works fine, but as soon as it's warm the car doesn't even try to hold an idle, revs drop faster than I've ever seen.

Car runs ""fine"" as long as I keep my foot on the gas. I didnt disconnect any vacuum lines during the alt swap process so it seems unlikely that that would be the issue (though who fuckin knows), and I've tried both full open and full close idle screw to see if it made any difference, nothing.

Any ideas where to start? This cars driving me crazy I swear. I'll try to check for vacuum leaks when I'm home from work (gonna be hard with 1 person), but this only occuring after the alternator swap seems to me to suggest that's the cause in some way.

I did notice that the new (AutoZone) alternator has slightly more resistance when spinning the pulley, but I thought opening the idle screw would be able to account for that.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Yet another carb motor not idling

Turn the idle up until it stays running then as long as the throttle blades look nearly closed and its running around 800-1k rpm then leave it. If fast idle works then opening the throttle just a little bit will keep it running. Cant actually tell if there is anything wrong without you messing with it, all I can tell from what you said is that it will idle... just not with where the throttle stop is set.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 DX

No amount of messing with idle screw will get it to idle, however putting my finger ever so slightly on the choke plate and it will. I have the idle screw turned counterclockwise until it clicks (Im pretty sure this is max rich?) And it still doesn't even try to idle. If I touch the gas it runs fine

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I hope you are talking about the screw on the back of the carb and not the float screw. That screw won't do jack shit, it is a very limited amount of adjustment. I'd suggest just screwing it all the way in and unscrewing it 1.5 to 2 turns to make sure it's doing its job.
    That does make me question whether there is actually fuel coming out of it, the solenoid on the back shuts off that jet to prevent dieseling... Maybe make sure that is operating.
    I'm not sure what closing the choke would do besides maybe suck fuel out of the venturis.