Thread: To rebuild or replace

Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LX

To rebuild or replace

Ive recently stumbled upon 600$, and I recently found a solid amount of bearing shavings at the bottom of my oil pan in the middle of doing the oil pan gasket. After I seen that, I kept the pan off and its just been sitting. Ive sprayed it with wd40 so nothin rusts, but I cant stand to see it sit anymore. I bought standard sized bearings, and im going to try to swap out the bearings to buy some time (yeah im plastigaging). Id like to do a full rebuild, but getting the crank miked (cuz worst case scenario it needs to be) seems like too much work and replacing any other broken thing I find while rebuilding. Id replace the big stuff obvy (Bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets) but im worried of what else I could find broken on the motor while rebuilding like i said earlier and itd be a money pit more than it already is. I have found some motors being sold out of state, but that comes with its own problems regarding getting it over here. Theres a good amount of options on car-part.com, and they are a little cheaper than a rebuild would be, but im just kind of confused on how that would all work. No local options for parts cars.
    so basically

Rebuilding
    pros: experience and knowledge for later work, same motor and can build the motor with more quality parts, bragging rights?
    cons: could find more things wrong with it, money pit, worst case scenario I do something wrong

Buying
    pros: complete working motor, can drop right in, low mileage options
    cons: pretty much just finding a way to get it here and finding what to do with the motor

I just need an opinion(s) on what I should do from some people that have done rebuilds, and people that make good decisions. Thank you guys very much for any help and feel free to ask any questions.

also mind the green colored oil in the photos, was using UV oil dye to find my oil leak
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	432.9 KB 
ID:	11161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	492.4 KB 
ID:	11162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	11163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	11164  
    '89 Honda Accord LX

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: To rebuild or replace

If it were me i would put those bearings on and run it. Its not as good as a full rebuild but im sure it would run just fine for several years and in the meantime you can still drive the car and look for a spare engine to rebuild and drop in at a later time.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda accord LX

I'm in the same hole as you bought my car for $500 it has a knock I drove it from Kentucky to Ohio with the knocking BTW I did an oil change and found glitter everywhere, most of the motors are located west near California sadly now I'm debating if I should replace the bearings or get another engine, I might just replace the bearings and call it a day depending how bad the crank is lol

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Bro, no way the crank is good after driving with a knock, it's actually a wonder it didn't seize