Thread: Accord idling issue

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord 1992 2.0 CB3 MT

Accord idling issue

I have an idling issue with my 1992 Accord
    16v manual transmission 2.0l carburettor engine 110hp w/manual choke

Idling
    The engine dies quickly at idle when both engine and weather is cold, at sub-zero temperatures the idle will chase approx. from 0 to 1100rpm back and forth. There will be a lot of smoke at freezing temperatures.

Normal idle a couple of years ago:
    6800rpm when warm, and up to 2300rpm when cold, where it gradually regulates itself down

After 3-5 minutes of driving in the cold (as the car is starting to warm up) the idle speed up to typically 3-3.500 rpm and after another 5 mins when fully warm) it calms down to normal idle speed of approx. 6800 with only a bit poor idle. Right after the revs have calmed down and the car has warmed up, there is a risk that it may die at idle, this does not happen while driving. It has a rough start afterwards as it doesn't seem to get enough fuel, it usually starts while I hold the throttle/choke all the way down for a few seconds

While driving
    The engine hesitates at low throttle while driving when it's cold outside, especially with a cold engine, noticeably better with a warm engine

Starting
    The car is easy to start, but after this problem accured it requires more choke/throttle to do so

What has already been replaced without any improvement:

Replaced air filter
    New spark plugs
    Cleaned distributor cap
    New fuel filter
    Carburetor spray + cleaned most of the carburettor with compressed air + fuel system cleaner mixed in the tank
    Replaced battery
    Verified that the primary slow cutoff solenoid valve works, cleaned transition so that grounding works + blew inside the hole here
    Functionally tested the air intake valve
    Cleaned the PVC valve (the one on top of the engine block) + changed the hose to this one that were leaking
    Replaced thermostat
    Changed several vacuum hoses that were leaking
    Replaced Fuel Cutoff relay (controls the fuel pump)

Any thoughts are appreciated

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Accord idling issue

Um... Is the secondary stuck open? Is the accel pump leaking into the engine?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

I can't believe Honda used PGM-CARB until 1996 outside of the US/Canada. The thought of a carbureted CB gen Accord is nuts. OP is going to have to find probably the one person wherever he lives that understands that system or swap an aftermarket carb in odds are.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Tbh, if a mechanic can't figure out a carb system they have no right to work on cars. It's not hard even with the black box, 80% of what that thing does is just make it idle smooth. If I was looking at a car that was completely pinned at an idle it's probably going to be pretty obvious why, that doesn't just happen without a bunch of air and fuel.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Tbh, if a mechanic can't figure out a carb system they have no right to work on cars. It's not hard even with the black box, 80% of what that thing does is just make it idle smooth. If I was looking at a car that was completely pinned at an idle it's probably going to be pretty obvious why, that doesn't just happen without a bunch of air and fuel.
    I cannot agree with you enough. If they can't work on anything made prior to OBD II EFI they aren't a mechanic, period. Nowadays it seems the average "mechanic" just wants to clear codes and do brake jobs on Karen's BHPH Chevy Traverse, and they'll say every lie in the book to get someone to junk anything pre 1996.
    The problem with carbs is, most of the guys who are familiar with them are older guys who are on the cusp of retiring or retired...and many of them are petrified of feedback carb systems with emissions blackboxes/vacuum hose mazes. I remember talking to an older Irish guy a few years ago who worked on pre PGM-CARB CVCC Hondas and the more he went on, the more he looked like a shell-shocked war veteran. It seems like for the most part they're only familiar with regular plain old mechanical Holley/Edelbrock/Weber .etc carbs. Takes a certain of kind of cunning and patience to understand feedback carb systems that not many people possess it seems.
    Last edited by RI86DX; 03-07-2023 at 03:27 PM.