Thread: Hey from Australia, here's my 1989 Accord JDM ESL-X.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord ESL-X, JDM 5 Speed.

Hey from Australia, here's my 1989 Accord JDM EXL-S

Hey guys, bought my accord two years ago. Thought I'd post to say hi and show you my progress. I stumbled upon the car on Facebook, guy wanted 2,000AUD I offered 1K and took it off him. Was sitting away in his shed rusting and dusty. Used a trailer to bring it home and it sat there in that spot for a good 8 months. I started the B18A every third day and hoped for the day I would finally drive it. Then eventually I gathered enough money to pay for parts and repairs. All brakes were replaced, it needed a new power steering hose, fresh windscreen, a few oil leaks. Now it's running better than ever and I drive it almost every 3 days as it's my project car and not my daily. It's a 5 speed manual and has 105,000 miles, not bad for a 33 year old car. It has power folding mirrors, the map lights, some cool Japanese interior quirks, I love it. I had to replace the muffler as it rusted out and have a nice stainless steel barrel muffler with twin tip exit, twin tips just suit these cars. I just got my fresh windscreen installed today and they managed to save all the chrome trim so I'm very happy with that. There's almost no 3rd generation accords in Australia and I have not seen one in or off the road since I've had mine. There are a lot of preludes and people mistake mine for that, but with 4 doors the people who know about cars have trouble figuring it out. I'm gonna put the badges back on soon when I'm satisfied with my restoration. I have bought GSR integra blade wheels to put on it next week keeping within the OEM Honda brand. Also I stumbled upon a Sei parts car so I snapped that up since I haven't seen any accords, and my parts car has all blue interior mint, which will match my main accord and I'll swap the seats out. I like keeping it stock and won't lower it just yet as Australia is just strict with modifying cars. I'm 20 and it's cool to own a car like this, it's classy and unique, and to be honest I do believe I have the only EXL-S edition accord in the entire country. I tried to attach a photo and if anyone wants to keep up to date with my progress I sometimes post on my cars instagram page which is @slow89accxord !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0224.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	11191  
    Last edited by Eth4n89; 03-10-2023 at 01:06 AM.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

Re: Hey from Australia, here's my 1989 Accord JDM ESL-X.

That's definitely a repaint, and being a JPN import/trim level, it probably is the only one in Aus. I wouldn't do much of anything to it, as long as it's mechanically sorted.

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by RI86DX View Post
    That's definitely a repaint, and being a JPN import/trim level, it probably is the only one in Aus. I wouldn't do much of anything to it, as long as it's mechanically sorted.
    Hey yeah it was badly repainted hahah, original colour was a nice gunmetal grey which can be seen when opening the doors. Still I don't mind the colour and will look at a respray in the future.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

Using the SE-I as a parts car might not be the best of ideas, since it's FI and Aus spec I would assume (on top of being a rare and desirable one year only trim) and your other Accord is JDM and carbed. Might just want to fix the SE-I up if possible and have 2 Accords.
    You sure your JDM Accord's trim isn't "EXL-S"?
    Because I can find literally nothing regarding an EXL-X trim level.
    Last edited by RI86DX; 03-09-2023 at 10:55 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

Hey mate JDM one is EXL-S yeah had a typo haven't put the badges on it yet. The SE-I I have is auto and the engine has 374,000km on it so I cant be bothered fixing it up. It has a glued sunroof that works but looks terrible also it can't drive the brakes are gone and fluid leaks apparently. I only bought it for the windscreens, the interior and body panels so if I get into an accident in my EXL-S I can patch it up. My main accord is finished it doesn't need any work now just a bit of rust to patch up.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Man, exeryone can find an SEi but me. I'm looking for the steering wheel stereo controls. Tried making my own but the wiring inside the steering column isnt enough, with there being more buttons.

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    Man, exeryone can find an SEi but me. I'm looking for the steering wheel stereo controls. Tried making my own but the wiring inside the steering column isnt enough, with there being more buttons.
    Hey soon I'll be stripping the Se-I and dumping what I won't use as we just don't have enough room for 5+ cars we have at our home. Chuck me any offer for what you'd pay for the stereo control wiring and I could ship it to you If I can find it. I'm from Australia so you'd have to cover shipping sorry, but It's only a small package so shouldn't be too bad. I can update you as I won't strip the car for another few weeks, I'm not entirely sure what you're after anyway and how to get it for you.