Thread: Hello!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda accord DX 2 Door 4spd AT

Red face Hello!

Hi guys, i just bought a 1987 honda accord DX hatchback 2 door (carbed engine), it's an auto 4 spd. Small problem i'm hoping for help with. Cyl 1, 2, and 4 have like new compression, with cyl 3 having 70 psi in the engine. Any idea with what's best to do in this situation? i was thinking valve/piston ring check.. but im new to working on cars and that might be a big project for me. It only has 124,000 on it... hoping for help!! thanks..

EDIT WITH TIPS...
    this is a US built domestic market base trim... has the A20A1 i believe and can sometimes idle but sounds awfully choppy and dies after 5 min driving...

EDIT 2...
    sorry i forgot this information, this car has sat for a year before someone picked it up and cleaned the gas tank and put a new fuel pump in it... thanks!
    Last edited by Brandopatt; 03-10-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Hello!

If you want, the best thing to to would be to pull the head off, check the condition of the cylinder wall, check the valve seats, and put it back together with a new head gasket. Low compression could easily be from tight valve lash or a blown head gasket (likely, they're weak), it might not be a valve seat or rings, but by taking it apart you might be able to tell if it's one of those things

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Hello and welcome to the forums.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda accord DX 2 Door 4spd AT

are there any good videos of someone taking the top off of this engine? or should i just go by the repair book... i have all repair manuals for the car im just a tad nervous without visual example

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Brandopatt View Post
    are there any good videos of someone taking the top off of this engine? or should i just go by the repair book... i have all repair manuals for the car im just a tad nervous without visual example
    1,2,3 videos from the best!

1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!