Thread: pls advice

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda accord DX 2 Door 4spd AT

pls advice

currently have an 87' accord DX that is carb'd and was wondering if there was anyone who knows someone who knows something about it... lol
    Here are the current problems
    (have gotten it to idle better, but it jumps up and down and doesn't like to idle below 1000 rpm.)
    (will die after about 5 minutes of driving, rpms will float down and lose power, try to jump back up but just cant regain power, needle will show rpm of like 3000 but the car is not receiving any power whatsoever)
    (got cylinder three back to about 160 psi, other cylinders read fine PSI)
    (loses rpms when brakes are applied)
    i would like to switch it to fuel injection but how would i start on that??? need help

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

Re: pls advice

Not a good idea to make multiple threads with the same content...anyways, there's been probably 10 guys in the history of CA Accords who have successfully done carb to EFI conversions on them, it's a lengthy and complex job. Better off with a Weber carb swap.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

To do a FI swap you really need a working FI donor car. Its not a quick fix, its a major project.

Are you saying
    -the car dies after 5 minutes
    -you try to give it gas but you cant increase the engine speed
    -the tachometer does not correspond to the engine RPM speed?

Does it start back up when it dies?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle

it can start after dying, but dies again quickly.
    the Tachometer seems correct

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

IF you loose RPM when you press the brake, i would check for a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses and you can spray carb cleaner round the hoses and carb to find a leak, the RPM will change when it sucks in the carb cleaner.

When it dies i would also confirm you are getting fuel and spark, no loose wires, etc.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by RI86DX View Post
    Not a good idea to make multiple threads with the same content...anyways, there's been probably 10 guys in the history of CA Accords who have successfully done carb to EFI conversions on them, it's a lengthy and complex job. Better off with a Weber carb swap.
    The one that gets me is start 4 posts then dont log back in for 3 days or respond.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle

sorry. i have 2 jobs and trying my best to make ends meet. i didnt know i came off as rude.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Brandopatt View Post
    sorry. i have 2 jobs and trying my best to make ends meet. i didnt know i came off as rude.
    Its not a problem. I closed those other threads so all your answers will be in one place instead of spread out. It makes it less confusing for everyone.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Kind of sounds like one of the hot idle circuits is opening up and leaking vacuum. If you're really trying to make ends meet the easiest thing would be to follow the vacuum delete thread, but the best thing to do is probably a Weber swap

DX User
    Vehicle

im in a much better situation now and am making money again. What im going to start with is rebuilding the carburetor with the help of an old mechanic willing to lend me a hand. there is a junkyard near me with a fuel injected LXI with only 135k on it? should i take that fuel injection system? how much do you think they would cost me

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I think what needs rebuilt is that mess around the carb, the carb itself may need nothing more than a clean and a base gasket.
    Imo the fuel injection is just a headache. A Weber is simple and there's a bunch of threads on here.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandopatt View Post
    im in a much better situation now and am making money again. What im going to start with is rebuilding the carburetor with the help of an old mechanic willing to lend me a hand. there is a junkyard near me with a fuel injected LXI with only 135k on it? should i take that fuel injection system? how much do you think they would cost me
    Like ShiRen said...Weber swap is your best bet.
    Unless that LXI was hit by a train or a speeding semi or is a severe biohazard car it sure as hell doesn't belong in a yard with only 135k on it - what a waste. Car donation/I buy junk cars outfits are fucking scumbags....can't forget insurance companies too.
    Last edited by RI86DX; 04-04-2023 at 09:10 AM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Eh, there's lots of reasons these cars get thrown out. Depending on the state, they may even be thrown out due to rust. But things like dead trans, carb trouble, head gasket, even a tw sensor or ignitor, they can be hard to diagnose or fix. It's a sad truth and it's very wasteful, but the majority were already taken off the road by cash for clunkers, heck, count every vehicle you see made pre 2005, the number hurts

Vehicle

I'm not sure these cars qualified for C4C - MPG might have been too good...I'm sure a few got snuck in though with how corrupt that program was.