Thread: OBD1 LXI help

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord 1986 LX-i Hatchback

OBD1 LXI help

Hey guys. Ive got a 1986 LXi and recently installed a b18 nonvtec ecu with a chip slot. I got it chipped with an HA motorsports chip, have a obd1 dizzy which points towards plug 1 when motor is TDC. Got my obd1 ecu jumper and dizzy wiring too and Im running a 1990 accord obd1 map sensor with the vacuum line, and did a vacuum delete along with the charcoal canister. Stock intake manifold all vacuum lines besides map sensor and dash pot.

IMPORTANT I had it idling before the vacuum delete, then did the delete and got the metal spaghetti out of there, now it will not run even though i plugged everything needed. Timing is correct, it cranks and backfires but wont start now. Anybody been here?

DX User
    Vehicle

Re: OBD1 LXI help

Also plugged off egr pipe.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

make sure you didnt knock a wire loose or forget a ground wire in your vacuum line ripping session.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

If it's actually backfiring while cranking, make double sure the distributor isn't 180 out or the plug wires in the wrong order. Ik you said timing is correct, but it can be harder to notice if it's just flipped. Usually a vacuum leak wouldn't even cause it to do that, at least mine wouldn't, but it's carved.

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    If it's actually backfiring while cranking, make double sure the distributor isn't 180 out or the plug wires in the wrong order. Ik you said timing is correct, but it can be harder to notice if it's just flipped. Usually a vacuum leak wouldn't even cause it to do that, at least mine wouldn't, but it's carved.
    Good deal, definitely will keep testing and checking. Thanks for the input

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    make sure you didnt knock a wire loose or forget a ground wire in your vacuum line ripping session.
    Hahaha it was stressful I definitely broke my coolant temp sensor ill have to double check everything in there. Thanks

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Could that coolant temp sensor actually be the tw sensor (idk if your ecu even needs that input though)

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Could that coolant temp sensor actually be the tw sensor (idk if your ecu even needs that input though)
    Okay. Turns out, I tried starting the motor with a ratchet in the crank pulley. It threw of timing by a couple teeth. I believe it also broke my starter somehow… now it will not engage it only spins. I put a new coolant sensor (which was a TW) And set timing on the cam, and the flywheel to tdc while cylinder 1 is fully compressed to the top. I no longer have any ecu codes, now chasing a starter issue (couple month old starter full warranty so ill get a new one within a couple days and update the thread. I believe when the starter was engaged even barely, when the ratchet hit and snapped my extension i think it may have damaged the starter.

DX User
    Vehicle

Alrighty new starter is in, got her to start for acouple seconds yesterday but died off. Checked for solid spark and fuel, kept messing with the dizzy, then battery died on me. Gunna figure this out!