Thread: Cheddas outer tie rods

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

Cheddas outer tie rods

My car has bump steer. It's lowered on ground control coilovers and it's noticable. Cheddas says the bump steer outer tie rods are for track use. Is there a problem with running them on the street?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Cheddas outer tie rods

I wouldn't. There are a lot of issues with that type of tie rod, like how they bolt on and geometry. How low specifically? I had the same issues with my car before I even lowered it, its probably a factor of worn components and alignment. If you are lower than like 2.5" you are asking for it though, there are probably a lot of other drivability issues that you are ignoring.
    If you have disabled the power steering that is probably exasperating what you are feeling. I actually don't think my car has bump steer (though I haven't made bump steer gauges to check it) it is actually high jacking forces due to a large amount of caster. The difference is jacking forces pull the wheel, bump steer doesn't. I don't have power steering, so sudden forces in the suspension can easily overpower my inputs to the wheel.
    If you wheel is indeed moving, measure and take some caster out, if you aren't going for a track alignment.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Gabezermeno View Post
    My car has bump steer. It's lowered on ground control coilovers and it's noticable. Cheddas says the bump steer outer tie rods are for track use. Is there a problem with running them on the street?
    Most likely they will wear out pretty quick. The way the are sealed it is hard to keep dirt out of them. Heim joints are used in industrial applications and they require alot of maintenance.

You might see if you can move the steering rack around and get the geometry you want. I have seen it done on other cars but not these.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Would be hard since the rack sits inside the cross member

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

The track use / road use thing is really for legality. Doesn't mean the parts are good or bad.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I