Thread: Best way to access the clutch interlock switch

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXI

Best way to access the clutch interlock switch

Anyone have to do one of these lately? It looks like there is no "easy" way to access the switch because of its location way at the top of the clutch/brake pedal assembly. Am I looking at removing the pedal assembly or I think I read somewhere on the forum where I could un-mount and swing the under dash fuse block out of the way for a little more room? I'm pretty sure only the rubber stopper is trashed but I might as well replace the switch too while I'm in there. Thanks to all that respond!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Best way to access the clutch interlock switch

What year/trim is your car? Later models iirc have a clutch interlock, so if you short it (clutch pedal up) the car won't start. However leaving it open (clutch pedal down) will cause the cruise control not to work.
    Solution? Put a bolt and nut through the hole in the pedal and adjust the height with the switch. Or if you have an 86/87 and don't use the cruise, leave it alone, it doesn't do anything.
    And access is pretty easy... Remove the panel under the steering wheel (2 Phillips screws), unplug the harness, loosen the nut, then you can loosen/tighten. Yes, you have to be on your back, it's under the dash, no way around that.
    I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the switch, just fix the rubber.