Thread: Need a new muffler

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Need a new muffler

I need a new muffler for Oldblueaccord.

Any recommendations?

I dont want to sound like a dead broke 16 year old either.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Need a new muffler

I have a borla universal. I really like it. It is loud by itself, I'd suggest having a cat and maybe a resonator or glass pack before it. It's not so loud you can't have a conversation on the highway while it's droning.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I used a 24" truck muffler (thrush straight through cherry bomb-like thing) as a resonator.
    For the back box I used a flowmaster super 44. All behind the JDM B20A with 2.25 (i think) piping. Sounds throaty but still mellow. No shitty rasp. I like it...
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I have a pacesetter header and stock cat then a Walker muffler. I don't expect the walker to last a long time but i needed something easy and i actually like that its quiet for the most part. Really, the engine makes so much noise i like listening to it instead of the exhaust. Others have said it sounds good on the outside, not sure if they are hearing exhaust sounds or engine sounds.

So my vote is a muffler on the quieter side. Makes everyday driving nice and when you get on it the engine noise makes up for it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I blew the baffles out of the last cheap muffler I bought lol. It was a quieter one. Car definitely sounds better with the less restrictive and 2.5" exhaust, lower note, before it did have that shitty ricer rasp. My engine makes a lot of weird noises, I don't want to listen to it lol. I can hear everything, click of the valves, tight timing belt, weird turbulence in the carb, the actual induction noise sounds cool but it's like a symphony in there and everyone is out of key. Exhaust is at least consistent, just could be a few db quieter which should be achievable with a resonator or even just a cat

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I blew the baffles out of the last cheap muffler I bought lol. It was a quieter one. Car definitely sounds better with the less restrictive and 2.5" exhaust, lower note, before it did have that shitty ricer rasp. My engine makes a lot of weird noises, I don't want to listen to it lol. I can hear everything, click of the valves, tight timing belt, weird turbulence in the carb, the actual induction noise sounds cool but it's like a symphony in there and everyone is out of key. Exhaust is at least consistent, just could be a few db quieter which should be achievable with a resonator or even just a cat

Mines hanging out the bottom.

I think Im going to take it down the street and have new pipe from the cat back done. That way if I dont like the muffler I got something nice to weld too or clamp.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I have an innovate mtx-d oil pressure gauge which also doubles as a temp gauge. Oil temp is really what you need to look at because the amount of time my car gets hot enough to open the thermostat when it's not in the triple digits outside is very, very little. I noticed the other day my new water temp gauge showed the minimum value (120F) almost the entire time I drove it to Taco Bell. I've got the aluminum integra radiator though, I guess there's just enough bypass flow to dissipate that much heat out of the engine. Oil temp gets up to a pretty normal 170F or so, idk an exact number, and stays there. Hottest day of the year it was like 190F, never saw the gauge turn color before that.

I think your muffler lasted a lot longer than mine lol, mine had a death by spicy engine, it didn't like being full of fire balls.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Thanks for the oil temp info.

Thats pretty much what think it runs also, with out data. But I do run a thermostat also.
    Now running E85.