Thread: Clean Fuel Injectors on 1987 Honda Accord LXi

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi

Clean Fuel Injectors on 1987 Honda Accord LXi

Greetings, I made the mistake of adding Marvel Mystery Oil MMO to my 1987 Accord. Ever since, it has been running horribly. Backfiring, stuttering, and misfiring. My fear is that I clogged some of the fuel injectors. I have a Run Rite kit that allows you to run pure fuel injector cleaner to clean out the fuel line. In order to use it, you need to hook it up to the fuel line. My questions are;
    1. Does this sound like it might be the problem?
    2. Where is the fuel line in the engine bay? It is a A20o3 engine.

Cheers and Thanks, Steve

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Clean Fuel Injectors on 1987 Honda Accord LXi

I can not see the Marvel Mystery oil being all your problems. I guess you put it in there because the car was running poorly to start with?

The fuel line starts at the fuel filter on the fire wall passenger side. Remember the pressure is about 40 psi so be careful.

Backfiring and stuttering I would look at the spark side. Distributor cap, rotor wiring...and you may have to verify the timing has not jumped. You will have to look at the timing belt by removing the top cover.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yeah it doesn't sound like that's your problem... Fuel filter might be a more likely culprit. Btw backfiring means fire out the intake, not pops and crackles out of the exhaust or hesitation, it would have to be out of time.

Change the filter if you never have. Check fuel pressure, you can find the fuel line easily by following it from the fuel rail. If you still suspect a clogged injector, hold a flat head screwdriver to each of the injectors then put your ear on the handle, they should all make a clicking sound and they should sound the same, if one is louder or muffled then there might be a problem. Another thing you can do is remove the fuel rail, leaving the injectors attached, being careful with the o rings and don't lose any spacers. Unplug all but one injector, put the plugged in one in a cup, crank the engine, and see how much sprays out, repeat for each injector, they should be similar.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi

Thank you all for the guidance. I will investigate these suggestions this week.