Thread: that dang PGM-FI light...

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i hatch

that dang PGM-FI light...

hey everyone! i've been readin these forums ever since i bought my 87 Accord LX-i hatch a little over a year ago and i finally got around to registering. anyway, about the problem... the PGM-FI light has been on since i got the car. it comes on every time i drive the car, about 5 or so minutes after i first take off. the car always ran ok except the idle was on the high side, about 1500. a few weeks ago the car started doing somethin different. when i would start it after it sitting up for a while it would idle up to about 2000, then down to 1000, then it would go up and down between 750 and 2000 until i put it in gear. also when i let off the gas to slow down, once it would downshift to first, i could feel the car jerk and the engine would rev between 1500 and 2000, and the car had apsolutely no acceleration when speeding up from a rolling stop. I checked the ecu, code 12. I was about to change the egr valve because of this, but the guy at auto zone who used to work for a honda dealership told me to unplug the coolant temperature sensor. that got my power back, somewhat, but i still had the idle problem. went back to auto zone, he said change the fast idle air control valve. did that and the idle is fine now, right at 750, and smooth as silk. and it's a little faster. but the dang PGM-FI light is still on, and the ecu still flashes the code 12. what could it possibly be? and is it worth worrying about? help!

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    obviously, still a problem with your EGR system

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Yeah, it's not good to ignore warnings. Have you taken it anywhere to get it checked?

Vehicle
    no, haven't had it checked yet. there's a place that can put it on their computer for $40. i'm going to bring it to them soon. just wanted to see what you guys thought.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by charlesb2003
    no, haven't had it checked yet. there's a place that can put it on their computer for $40. i'm going to bring it to them soon. just wanted to see what you guys thought.
    Don't waste $40 bucks. You already know which sensor is bad. Anyway, these are pre obd cars, you can't plug in the computer to receive codes.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    If you can't plug in the computer to receive codes, then what does the computer do when you plug it in? My PGM-FI light is on too but there are no noticable problems but I would still like to know why.
    I like to think of my car as a sleeper. Sometimes it seems like it is sleeping.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    look under the drivers shit from behind. You'll see a little flap. Open it up. Put your keys to ON, and count the number of blinks. Then refer to the FAQ for what the code stands for.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    you are full of crap
    I like to think of my car as a sleeper. Sometimes it seems like it is sleeping.

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    Originally posted by jagojon3
    If you can't plug in the computer to receive codes, then what does the computer do when you plug it in? My PGM-FI light is on too but there are no noticable problems but I would still like to know why.

there's nowhere to plug in a computer to retreive codes,the cars own computer stores all codes if there's a fault, i'd suggest you do some research before you go calling someone "crap", so pull your head in and open your fukn eye's

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by jagojon3
    you are full of crap
    now now..where did that came from?
    please justify your statement eh

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    While I can not justify the statement, I laughed when I saw your instruction: "look under the drivers shit from behind". I believe you meant seat.
    Bill

Vehicle
    97 Prelude Base
    Originally posted by anchovies
    now now..where did that came from?
    please justify your statement eh
    I think he looked!!!!:lol

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    my light in mine still comes on every once in a while not sure what it is either but it dosent run any different but it eventualy turns off so i dont worry about it.

Vehicle
    89 accord lx (under construction)
    I dont know if it would be the same but my friends eclipse was doing the same thng and it was a vaccuum leak at the throttle body. All he did was changed the gasket and it fixed it.
    Its like washing your hands before you wipe your ass, its pointless...

DX User
    Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord lxi
    Hey my car has the light on still, the pgmfi thing. I got it checked out. and they said that the vacum system was malfunctioning. the reving thing still happens to my car. does it still happen to yours and did the idles valve thing work.
    tiga
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    bump ... bs happends to me too .. ..
    - J u n i o r -
    Quote Originally Posted by 89ACCORDVTECH
    - One of my carS is an SEI A20 my LXI has AN H22

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    Originally posted by TigaMan10
    Hey my car has the light on still, the pgmfi thing. I got it checked out. and they said that the vacum system was malfunctioning. the reving thing still happens to my car. does it still happen to yours and did the idles valve thing work.
    tiga

So what code did they say came up?........3/5, 10, 12, 13, 14?

Vehicle
    the revving thing is caused by a bad air idle valve... at least it was on mine. i had 2 87 LX-i's with the same problem and changing the air idle valve fixed them both. i'm sure other things could cause the idle to surge tho...

the light was staying on because the egr valve lift sensor was bad. it runs fine like that so i'm not too worried about fixing it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86/Honda/Accord lxi
    Hey, i ain't even sure what code it was. I think it was 12 or 14 but i can't be positive. don't take my word for it. that crap cost me 50 bucks. that pisses me off.
    tiga
    and how much did it cost to change the air valve.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

Vehicle
    $66.99 from auto zone.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Man I fuckin hate Auto Zone. Those people that work there are a bunch of idiots. I know more about cars and common sense then they do.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.