Thread: Oil Pump

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi and 2001 Civic Ex

Oil Pump

Okay my oil light is still on. I changed the oil pressure switch, water pump, checked my oil. everything is fine but. The light is still on. And im sorta geting a grinding noise only when i accelerate very quickly. I checked all the other accessories "ac, ps, alt, wp" so my last option is an oil pump. Does anybody know if theyve experienced something simaliar to this. Please respond if you have. And please give you input on what you think it could be.
    thanks
    kurt

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Well if you are getting an oil light and you have enough oil in your car that seems like it would be a sensor to me. May also be worth resetting the ECU.
    -Aaron-
    "I play russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

DX User
    Vehicle
    yah but im getting a clattering sound like somthing is flying around inside my engine bay... know what i mean?

kurt

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Well that is probably something else entirely....From my experiences the check engine light/oil light doesn't pick up on mechanical problems that well. It will only light up if the sensor is sending a trouble signal to the ECU, which his usually a faulty sensor. Hopefully a more technically saavy member will elaborate on this, a second opinion is always a must
    -Aaron-
    "I play russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    or may be that grinding noise is your engine destorying its self because its starving for oil. if you replaced the sender and the light is still coming, your problem is even more serious than you thought. if you are worried that the oil pump is not pumping oil, take off your oil filter. if oil comes out at a real high pressure, than it's working. quit driving your car if you plan on driving it later.
    I’ll kill you with experience

DX User
    Vehicle
    Oh i know its pumping oil but i dont know if its creating enough pressure during stoped or declerating.

kurt

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUY

Stop driving your vehicle imediatly i had the same problem during spring break in Daytona. I was on the strip for 3 hours and my oil light came on so i pulled over and checked it the oil level it was full but i added a little just in case so i was on the strip for a few more hours then i had to start heading home to go to work the next morning like four in the morning. well that when EVERYTHING STARTED TO GO WRONG when i accelerated around 3,000rpm a litte knocking well i said screw it and kept on driving well it got WORSE AND WORSE it knocked like hell i was in the middle of no where so i stuck it in nuetural and was coasting then the engine SIEZED UP i was F**Ked. well i change the oil and filter and tried to crank it it did then i threw a piston. BYE BYE ENGINE R.I.P. If i just pulled over had it towed and change the oil pump i would not have to spend $1600 on a new engine.

Well this is my 2cents and horror story

out

.:mike:.
    STOCK - 1989 Accord LXi

don't drive your car if it's making grinding sounds and the oil light is coming on jeez. open the oil filler cap, you should see oil shooting all over the place in the valve cover, if it isn't then either your pump is bad or the oil control jet is clogged up
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord
    Two peices of advice....

1. If the Oil light keeps coming on after you did all that work, I'd just remove the bulb. Problem solved.

2. Don't listen to me...... Its probably just the oil pump, not like its serious or anything.....

Sarcasm... the spice of life...
    CoAsTeR

88' Honda Accord LX
    www.coastersride.cjb.net
    Visit my website for pics and how-to's

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    man.......... coaster. what would this board do without your conry ass jokes . you are funny as hell in a serious situation bro. Always love your humor and god bless you are here

DX User
    Vehicle
    Well im Fucked. I just replaced the pump and the Knocking nosie just got even louder and worse now i can feel it when my foot is on the pedal. I guess its time to get a new car. Before i go and get a new car got any last ideas. Please greatly appricated...

thanks
    kurt

Ps thanks for all the help
    1988 Accord Lxi
    Clarion HU
    4 Massive Comp 61/2
    Planet Audio Amp
    5 LCD TV with Dreamcast
    I/E
    Custom Gauges
    Future Mods:
    Rims, Springs
    Header and anything else i cant think of right now

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i guess driving around with the light on messed up your car, and seems obvious when you changed the pump. Why do u wanna sell your car or to say get a new one? If its a just the engine that is gone bad. Get another one. Think of it, ur lucky Getting another car would be putting in atleast around $4000 for a decent car, even our 3g run upto 2.5K. IF u dont wanna mess with your engine, find whats wrong and payfor it and get it fixed and crap. Get an engine swap. I am pretty sure u can get a decent B series for under $3K. and get the mounts for it for couple of hundred bucks. Yeah, it takes a lot of time to do the swap and money will be spent, but if u really like and love the 3g its just another pride to do an engine swap and moderatly easy cause u have an Lx-i. Think about which is advantageous for you and go along with it. Its always easy to throw away something that to us does not seem to be working right, but the joy in fixing it and seeing it run is priceless. Have fun, good luck and god bless.

pull off the valve cover and see if there's frsh oil up there and make sure there's nothing floating around in your valvetrain. Also when was the last time you changed your oil filter?
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User
    Vehicle
    I pulled the valve cover last night. And it was spraying oil everywhere. I adjusted the valves thinking it was that. I changed my oil and filter on easter. I can hear its coming from the bottom of the engine. Any Ideas? The reason why its not worth put a new engine is the body is falling apart. So i dont know if i can get my moms boyfriends grand am for 2500 then i can slowly work on fix my honda... Dont know what to do. Please help..

kurt
    1988 Accord Lxi
    Clarion HU
    4 Massive Comp 61/2
    Planet Audio Amp
    5 LCD TV with Dreamcast
    I/E
    Custom Gauges
    Future Mods:
    Rims, Springs
    Header and anything else i cant think of right now

DX User
    Vehicle
    89' accord LXi
    i hab the same problem with mine i thought i killed the engine so i bought a parts car with a blown tranny when i finaly got my motor out i realized i broke my flywheel

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX
    Sounds like rod bearings. Oil starvation can do that.

If you really want to find out, pull the oil pan.
    Check your bearings and hope to hell you didn't spin one
    and totally screw over your crank.
    If you did "spin" it, means you need to get your crank
    machined, and replace all your rod and main bearings, minimum.
    If you didn't spin one, plastiguage all your clearances.
    Probably a good idea to replace the bearings anyway.

Good Luck, mano.
    Last edited by JohnnyFonz; 02-17-2004 at 09:48 PM.
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    1992 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo (hibernating)
    No time for either....

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Damn dis is an old thread.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    anybody has pics of the bottom part when you to take off the oil pan. I just wanted a clear view what all that sttuf look like. flywheel, bearings, etc.

My 1989 LX Carb. A.K.A. "Hoop Ride" (R.I.P.)

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    It's the oil pump as you probably know by now but if you get a new car and you have the problem again never never never, are you seeing a trend here? never never continue to drive the car or run the engine unless you plan on changing your engine. If your oil is ok then you have to suspect the oil pump until you find out otherwise. Hope you can find a good deal on another 3g if not maybe another Honda.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89' accord LXi

i have another

Quote Originally Posted by Blkblurr
    It's the oil pump as you probably know by now but if you get a new car and you have the problem again never never never, are you seeing a trend here? never never continue to drive the car or run the engine unless you plan on changing your engine. If your oil is ok then you have to suspect the oil pump until you find out otherwise. Hope you can find a good deal on another 3g if not maybe another Honda.
    yeah its the oil pump i have another 2.0 iam swaping in this weekend

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    ....you could also stick in an oil pressure gauge too as those damn oil lights only come on at about 5psi,(at a guess), which could be to late for the engine