Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Flipping Carb Lid

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    yeah, it'll scrape up the underside of ur hood a little...

...don't believe me...

go look!
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual

Talking how to : what is a Flipped Lid (Air box) ?

any comments before i put this in the FAQ !
    and i wanted to know whose engine with the flipped lid so i can make a notice for him in the FAQ one of them is ERIC's ( POS CARB ) but who is the other !

what is a Flipped Lid (Air box) ?

A flipped lid means to flip your air box cover in you carbed accord !

Why flip a lid ?

It is believed that it will increase performance ( very small amount ) because it lets more air to get in . it will also give you a nice sound at high rpms

What are the disadvantages of doing that ?

Carb freezes if you are living in a freezing area (engine hesitating)
    You'll need to Change your Air Filter more often if you live in a dusty area

How to flip a lid ?

Unscrew the 2 screws holding the air box cover ( lid ) and unclip the 5 clips holding the lid from the side ( shown in the pic below )

After you remove the cover flips it upside down and screw it back in !(shown in the pic below)

if the you can't screw it back in (the bolts are short) you can use a hammer and a piece of cloth and gently tap with a hammer on the raised areas around the bolt (shown in the pic below) until the lid fits right !

enjoy this free mod guys !

MIKE
    Last edited by ACCORD EX; 10-23-2002 at 05:49 AM.
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    Honda CR-V
    I didnt need to hit my lid with a hammer just took out the rubber grommets and put them in from the other side.
    Put the air box lid on (flipped) and pressed on the midddle of the lid (between the bolts) and was JUST able to screw on the wing nuts.
    Since it has started getting cold here I have had to flip it back due to the engine hesitating due to cold.
    Honda CR-V Mk2
    Quantum Sport Saloon

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    lol!! way too much effort on that one
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    thanks paul ! about the hammer thing i said if only it won't fit the way it is ! some people had problems with that !
    and i fixed the hesitating thing ! thanx ! :super:

MIKE

Vehicle
    BTW didn't anyone reply whose pic is that ! ? teh 3 rd one with the marked airbox with red ! ???

MIKE

Vehicle
    '93 Integra

intake on carbd

is it worth getting an intake on my LX... im carbd.. will it still sound the same as if it was an EFI and would it perform and sound the same?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi Coupe w/Sunroof
    r u talking bout makeing one. cuz thats the closest youll come to a intake on a carbed engine.
    ACT Stage 1, Short Ram Intake & 2.25 Dynomax custom catback w/4inch carbon fiber tip. Thats it for now.

Putting the paint back on after

SOMEONE STOLE MY PAINT!!!!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 accord dx
    Thats the only thing you can do for carb is make on and i did. And trust you won't regrest it
    1986 Accord DX
    Exterior- Custom Tail lights, No grill(yet), 5%tint, Fog lights

Performance- Cold air intake, 2.25inch pipping back from headers into a highfolw cat. Cherry bomb exhaust w/ 3a racing tip.

Interior- Nothing yet

Sound-Kenwood CDplayer, A pretty good amp, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate punches.

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    just flip the lid and get a K&N, its gives noticable sounds and gives better thottle response, porbably gives a few more horese too, some will say BS.
    it made my car more fun to drive when i did it. that was my first mod

Vehicle
    1995 Ford SHO
    Back in the day I took out my air filter, bought some flex hose and hooked a huge ass APC upgrade cone filter on the end of it, hooked it to where the old stock air hose plugged in. I did notice a sound difference, and now that it is off I wonder if there was a performance increase...
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    Sold to someone who won't take care of it ... may she rest in peace.
    And to think, she was only 80,000 miles young!

- PaceSetter Monza Exhaust
    - Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs
    - Custom Front Grill
    Quote of the Month
    "It's a shame that you spent all that money on that muffler, it doesn't muffle anything... It must be the wrong kind of muffler for your car."
    ~Mom, 2002

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    Originally posted by Mantis88LX
    just flip the lid and get a K&N, its gives noticable sounds and gives better thottle response, porbably gives a few more horese too, some will say BS.
    it made my car more fun to drive when i did it. that was my first mod
    i just did that a few days ago, i havent got my K&N in but i got somethin else in. Im going to get the K&N in sometime this week hopefully. But i noticed some hp change and the car runs alot smoother
    dont waiste your time on that custom stuff. just do this

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    making your own intake is well worth it. everyones doing it now, its cool to see everyones ingenuity put to work.
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

if you get the weber conversion can't you get an intake for that, i thought they sold one?

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    they dont sell oe yet. but hopefully they will

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    if im no mistaken you can get one out of a civic. (im not sure wat year) but read this thread, its important if you want to know...

weber cost/civic intake

late-

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

Lightbulb getting air

For some background, my 3g was an 86 5spd LX with 200k miles on it. I got the engine honed out ($100) replaced the seals with high performance ($100), ran a custom 1.75" straight pipe exhaust to a Supertrapp muffler, advanced timing 7/8 degrees, 8mm wires, lowering springs (so long ago I can't remember) hardened suspension, Colt Cams "mild street" cam (really really good power boost), and my own intake style...
    to start with, I took off the lid... and flipped it upside down. I put some cool racing stickers (Summit, mag I bought stuff from) and something else I used, anyway, not important. I had to bang the two screw holes down a little with a tack hammer to make the nuts snag on what the needed to, but I wound up with an upside down air intake lid. Now I took this honda to the drag races every friday night, costs $10 to race, $5 to watch, and there's a whole lot of rednecks with big-block chevys and mustangs and whatnot, and then there's a 4-6 cylinder class (no turbo or NOS allowed, otherwise anything goes)... and I'd race every time. For this 1/8 mile drag, I drove with my hood OFF... now for one, it's a hint less aerodynamic, but not nearly as much as you'd expect (I hardly noticed at any speed, to be honest).. I'm guessing an easy 10hp boost in power in this department... I liked it so much, I drove around town with the hood off (on non-precipitative days), I went through seatbelt checkpoints with it (the cops never said a thing), and I raced a whole lot of drag races with it. You notice more power increase at higher speed (obviously, it almost creates a forced induction effect by pushing air through the filter)... much better throttle response, and a way better top end (above 6-7k rpms).. my rev could now effectively go far past 9000 (though I never got a tach beyond the one that came with it, so I'm just guessing, as it ends at 8)... the reason I couldn't before, (I think anyway) was due to the retarded timing (carb'd 3g's have retarded timing compared to efi's, but between my exhaust and cam, I tuned it to what I perceived as being the most effective, based on tests of speed of revving, and 0-40 - first gear)... and the fact that the carb'd beast was SUFFOCATING... with a mild cam (or just a stock one) a certain amount of breathing is necessary. THe higher your rev, the faster your carbeurator has to "suck" air in (with a vacuum, a pretty primitive, but potentially effective method) and the more easily you'll want air to flow into your carb. these are simple claims, everyone knows them, I'm not being a theorist here.

In conclusion: flipped lid = must (or custom intake I'm sure would be wonderful, I wouldn't hesitate to say that one is just as good or better than a flipped lid)... I met a friend of mine who actually dismantled the air filter housing, and took off the sides, so it was a naked air filter, and it worked PHENOMINAL (just an idea to throw out there)... and I had AMAZING results with the hood OFF (btw: plug wires can fly off over 100mph... just a warning)...

Drive safe! Don't be stupid like me and bury the needles (especially the spedo)!

Vehicle
    1995 Civic Ex
    sounds good, thx for that story, what happened to your friends car? when he made the air filter naked did he notice any problem later on?

Vehicle
    '93 Integra

K&N air filter

i have a completel stock 89 LX, next weekend im probably going to get a 2.25" catback w/ dynomax. if i get a K&N air filter right now, will i be able to notice a difference in speed? and it will it collaborate good with the exhaust and stuff?

Vehicle
    '93 Integra
    man, why isnt anyone responding, is it that shitty? cuz if its worth it i will walk my ass down to mikes auto parts and buy it right now.

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    get the civic intake w/ a k&n filter, then you'll notice something(i'm doing in a week when i get paid)
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    '93 Integra
    well i dont think its worth it when i have a carb.

Vehicle
    88lx,5speed
    winston-salem, North Carolina student at Oklahoma State
    i have the k&n i couldn't say there was a big diff. but the main reason that i got it is that it will probably outlast my car.
    Ryan

Vehicle
    '98 civic ex
    If you don't want to make a custom intake that attaches to the top of the carb, I'd say go ahead and get the k&n. It might give you a little more power, and with a better exhaust it's always better to have a better intake. Also, considering it's reusable, you will also save a lot of money because you won't have to keep buying new filters. As to whether you'll notice a differance in power, I doubt it, but I really have no clue.
    -Ryan

Pure White 1988 DX Sedan

"It takes a big man to cry. And, an even bigger man to laugh at the big man crying"

SEi User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi Coupe w/Sunroof
    well if your filter is dirty then you will notice the difference with a k&N filter or any filter for that matter. with the catback you will get a lil more horseys.
    ACT Stage 1, Short Ram Intake & 2.25 Dynomax custom catback w/4inch carbon fiber tip. Thats it for now.

Putting the paint back on after

SOMEONE STOLE MY PAINT!!!!!