Thread: Lower resistance = more power?

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3

Lower resistance = more power?

hey there

k, i rewired my speaker box and the resistance measured went from 1.9ohms to .49ohms. (measuring the actual resistance of the wires, not the coil)

How do i equate that into power handling?

P=I*V? or is that for DC currents only?

help!
    Last edited by pimp86LX; 04-02-2003 at 12:11 AM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    so you went from 2ohm to 1ohm.
    what subs do you have? make and model?
    now that you have lower impendence subs, you need to get new amplifier that can handle lower impendence.
    By lowering impendence you allow subs to handle more power, but at the same time you lower (it may not be much) you SQ level
    what kind amp do you have? make and model
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    91 Jetta

Wrong, lower impedance doesnt give a sub more power handling, subs come in different ohms for wiring flexability, nothing more, but if you have an amp that does 500watts at 2ohm and 1000watts at 1ohm, your obviously gonna get more power out of your amp running a lower ohm sub setup.

VW German Engineering

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    less resistance = lots of power... you should make a cooling box thing for the amp, with an intake and an exhaust fan... it will get hot.. you must also have an amp with an unregulated powersupply that will run a .5 ohm load. there are a few out there, but they are very high power... let us know what your running.. i wanna hear about this

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    speakers are 4ohms, amp is 300w @ 2ohm stable.

its much clearer but not much louder, i figure the lower resistance wires in the box just puts less of a drain on the system.

no!!! don't do that. Lower resistance = more current = more strain
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

here's how it goes
    power=voltage/resist.
    if resistance is less then power increases.
    technically your amp does produce more power at lower resistance however many amps aren't stable enough to handle a 0.5 ohm load and would overheat (if the protection circuitry lets you).

How many coils does each sub have, how many ohms each coil, how many subsm and how many channels is your amp.
    Eric
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    ok you guys misunderstood. even though i stated in the first post

i didn't touch the coils or the subs. the wires going from the subs to the terminal in the side of the box were shitty and old. I replaced them. i measured the resistance of a straight piece of wire, not the coil. the amp is still running at 4ohm.

OH my bad. well there's not really an exact way to arrive at that but you could start by adding the resistances, cross multiplying and dividing. 300/4 = x1/5.9 and 300/4 = x2/4.5

x1 is your previous power, x2 is your new power. x2-x1 = your power gains
    Eric

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    yah, its not really an issue anymore, its noticable to my ear, so im happy

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    with that i want to say how its all in the setup!!! i have a $700can setup, that can hit 145db wich is way more than enough for everyday listening. All in the setup!

Vehicle
    ohhhhh, i see now.
    if you change the wire between amp and sub, i don't think you will get much increase.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    heh heh if you saw what used to be in there you would disagree :P it was so shotty, spliced 2 or 3 times, and it wasn't much thicker than headphone wires. I was thinking my no name subs were really really shitty, but something told me to check it out. and wow its much clearer sounding

ohya, got another question...

my amp is 150x2 @ 4ohms, wiring my subs in paralell will allow for 2ohms ? my amp can be bridged and is stable for 2ohms. I just need reassurance before i try

it needs to be stable to 1 ohm / channel in stereo for that to work
    Eric

Vehicle
    Originally posted by POS carb
    it needs to be stable to 1 ohm / channel in stereo for that to work
    what are you talking about?
    he has subs that are 4ohm. he can wire them into 2ohm and run on his amp at 2ohm stable.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    ah the utter chaos!

who is right! :-P

yea but a bridged amp sees 1/2 the resistance so a 1 ohm stereo amp is only stable to 2 ohms in bridged mode
    Eric

look if your amp is 150x 2 @ 4 ohms then it's probably 300x2 @ 2 ohms and 600x1 into 4 ohms. if you notice the 4 ohm mono power is the sum of the 2 ohm stereo channels.
    SOOOO... run 150 per sub per channel if it's 2 ohm stable in stereo or get some DVC subs

trust me I went on a mission to pics some subs that will match my amp setup and I'm going to be getting some dual 4 ohm subs with 2 bridged channels per coil. I've studied this crap a long time
    Eric

further clarification: if the 2 4-ohm subs are wired parallel you get a single 2 ohm load. The bridged amp will then "see" a 1 ohm load" and whatever happens after that is up to you to find out.
    Eric

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    if its 2 then why would the amp "see" 1?

Vehicle

Re: Lower resistance = more power?

Originally posted by pimp86LX
    i rewired my speaker box and the resistance measured went from 1.9ohms to .49ohms. (measuring the actual resistance of the wires, not the coil)
    again, i would like to point out that he measured the resistance of the WIRE that goes from the sub to the end of the box. he didn't measure the coil.
    if he would measure resistnace of the coil it would be about 3.5ohm or somewhere between 3.2 and 4ohm.
    there is no way you can wire 2 4ohm subs to make it .5 ohm. even if you wire them in 2ohm load you won't get .5ohm on the coil.
    he can run his system just fine.
    Alex.

yea but now were back to what we started on which is him trying to wire 2 4-ohm subs to a single channel which can only be done with an amp that is 2-ohm stable in mono or 1 ohm stable in stereo.
    Eric

Vehicle
    he said that his amp is stable at 300W@2ohm load.
    Alex.

yea but bridged channels see half so it would see a 1 ohm load
    Eric

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    think of it this way, when you have a 2 channel amp, each side has its own set of outputs, so if you were going to wire it up to run 2 ohm on each channel for 200w per side, then when bridged you can only go down to 4ohm because then youre using both sides of the amp to get the 400w
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*