Thread: wheel sizes

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

wheel sizes

How wide of a wheel can we safely go on our 3g's. I have been thinking about trying to get some 7.5" or 8" wide rims. I have seen a Supra run 19"x8" in front and 19"x12.5" in the rear and they look real nice. Also that Supra in pushing 1,200hp! :badass: Right now I have 17"x7" rims and I think that some wider rims would look sweet. So what size rims can I use?
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    I wouldn't run anything wider than 7.5" and you cannot run wider than 215mm tread widths anyways. I hear stories about running 19's on a 3rd gen, but no pics and no proof. When looing at 18" rims make sure they have 45mm offset, it's not worth the risk of having to roll the rear fenders (which might not be enough to stop the rubbing).

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Hey Jim, i've got a question: I just purchased a set of TSW rims (look in sig for pic :pimp: ) and the tires are 205/40 16. The tires did rub on the lips with 2 passengers and a trunk load of stuff, so I rolled the rear lips, which fixed that problem. I'm not entirely sure what the offset is on the rims, but I'm almost positive that it's less than 40mm. There is no problem now, but if I switch to the correct size tire (205/45 16), do you think that the rubbing problem will come back?

Alex

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
    Hey Jim, i've got a question: I just purchased a set of TSW rims (look in sig for pic :pimp: ) and the tires are 205/40 16. The tires did rub on the lips with 2 passengers and a trunk load of stuff, so I rolled the rear lips, which fixed that problem. I'm not entirely sure what the offset is on the rims, but I'm almost positive that it's less than 40mm. There is no problem now, but if I switch to the correct size tire (205/45 16), do you think that the rubbing problem will come back?

Alex
    You must have gotten 38 or 35 mm offset. What car was it on before?
    sorry guys v8's rule

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    A CRX, which should have the correct offset, shouldn't it?

Alex

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    I have 17" rims right now and I was told they were 38mm offset, and I have a 2" drop with no problems of rubbing. I have hit some good size bumps and have cranked the steering wheel completely and no rubbing, so go figure.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.