Thread: 1988 Honda Accord Engine Rebuild/Swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lx

Question 1988 Honda Accord Engine Rebuild/Swap

hi i am 15 years old and i have a 1988 Honda Accord Lx. everyone says that i shouldnt soop it up and it would be a waste of money but i know they are wrond. they think my car sucks because it is carburated. but anyways i was wondering weather to do a complete engine rebuild with forged pistons and titanium valve springs/retainers or should i swap an engine and if i do swap and engine what would i need to buy to fit a gsr engine in it.

shane

DX User
    well i have an 88 honda accord lx and i have found a whole shit load of parts for it im saying save your money and buy parts for the engine that is in it.

Vehicle
    88 accord ex-i, 88 prelude Si
    A GSR engine requires you convert the car to EFI. If you have that kind of money to blow, go right ahead. Sticking with your current engine, first thing to get is a Weber carb.
    Now:
    -1988 Honda Prelude custom
    -1988 Honda Accord (to be fixed and sold)
    Soon:
    -some big 4x4 truck
    -91 Acura NSX
    http://www.hatetofeelband.com

Vehicle
    1988 / Honda / Accord / LX-R

Re: 1988 Honda Accord Engine Rebuild/Swap

Originally posted by shane_eld
    hi i am 15 years old and i have a 1988 Honda Accord Lx. everyone says that i shouldnt soop it up and it would be a waste of money but i know they are wrond. they think my car sucks because it is carburated. but anyways i was wondering weather to do a complete engine rebuild with forged pistons and titanium valve springs/retainers or should i swap an engine and if i do swap and engine what would i need to buy to fit a gsr engine in it.

shane
    wow u really are 15.. Good Luck

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Coupe LXi
    Well with the carb your best bet is to just work with it. If you do swap go with the b16 (it is carb right?). I would say save up your money, keep your current car running then when you have a few grand buy the engine make sure all the basics on it are ok, then just tweak before you install it. Save up a little more and work on some performance parts install those then when your ready have at it. Of course this is my own opinion and nothing more. And since your only 15 I doubt you have much of a paying job and this is going to run 5k+.
    --------
    1988 Honda Accord Coupe LXi
    (Stock)

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    Slow down and learn a little bit more about the engine your with. I admit the carburetored accords are slow but with time and patience you can find ways to make it faster. If you are still not satisfied with what you have then the next step is to swap for something better.
    Carl

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord
    Yes, netfreak said something about installing a webber carb. i was wonding. how much of a dif does that make over the stock carb. and where / how do u go about gettin one. and also i was wonding about a duel carb setup.

LX User
    ummm... dont put any money in it.. its an 88 accord. drive it til it breaks, then buy something else
    1988 Accord LXI: Catco Hi-flo cat, 2.25" Stainless piping, stainless n1-style muffler, SR intake, NGK plugs and wires.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord HB
    all you peoples saying carbureted Accords are slow, are dead wrong, I raced quite a few cars, and beat them pretty badly. My car is carbureted, and all I have is headers an a 5spd tranny. So, I don't see how my car with a carburetor is slow. So, maybe your car is slow, and mine is not?, who knows?, lol. The more you drive them til the break, the less they are on the road, and the more rare they become(what a concept). I like mine, and I plan on throwing lots of dough in it. I plan on making it spicy. I had another car, a domestic, with a carbed 350 Rocket V8. Carbed cars are not slow. It was a 1976 Cutlass, and its gone now, it is still running, and its no longer in my hands, but it served its purpose(which was a 9 month period). Peace
    If you like Old School rides, just wait til you see mine when its completely finished.

Vehicle
    1990 Honda Legend LS coupe 1989 EXi 5sp. sedan 1989 LX coupe 1966 S600 coupe 1965 S600 Roadster and a few others
    In my opinion every car is a learning curve Learn how to tune it ,make it breathe give it exaust give it spark Once you are done making your stock engine perform THEN study your options do your homework and move to the next level

What vehicle do YOU own krott5333????
    THE most feared words in racing