Thread: Tach Screwed Up

DX User

Question Tach Screwed Up

My tach has been reading ~500 rpms hgher than it should lately. It used to happen sporadically, like once a month or less but lately its been all the time. I don't know if the problem is electric or if the needle is kinda hanging up. I don't really know how the tach works, so any ideas would be very helpful.

Thank You

what about when it's shut off? It is probably a problem in the tach or in the ignition coil
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    yeah ! my friend 's car had this problem ! the tach shows 300 rpm when the car is off ! :lol ! really !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

DX User
    When the cars shut off it goes down to 0 where it should be. Also a couple times I have banged on the side of the dash and that has made it act normally, but that doesn't seem to work lately.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    our car tachometer is driven electroniclaly, try pulling apart the guage cluster and remove the plastic cover and see whats messing your tach up. if its sticky then the coil inside is bad, if not some of the electornic componenets are messed up. IF nothing works, get a guage cluster from the junk for around 40 bucks. it should fix it. cause as u know, only one cable attaches to our guage cluster

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

Petey's believe it or not...

when I bought my 88lx, the tach needle stopped well below zero, the reading was always about 1k short. I pulled the cluster to replace the tach..I said..nothing to lose..I expected to see a broken stop or some other unrepairable bit...I didn't...I gently pushed the tach needle to the red zone and I was able to push it against the stop, then the needle slipped on the shaft and when I released it, it was at zero!, sold the cluster I bought, made $10 on that and bought a six pack and a bag of chips.

Believe it or not