Thread: automatics

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Question automatics

i have a automatic, and a friend of mine told me that when im racing, that i should pull the shifter back into 2nd. first of all is this safe to do, and second, is it worth it? is it really gonna help me win a race or not?
    -Harvey

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord Lx-i
    No, use drive 3. Drive 2 has no power until it gets to about 4000 rpm. Drive 3 is better for racing. He probably just said that becuase if you put it in drive 2 and floor it, you won't have any power, but if you do drive 3 and hit ti, then you'll be able to do alot better.
    - 01 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Flip down LCD screen and DVD player, 8000k HID's, Westin light bar w/ PIAA 520's, Custom Flowmaster cat-back.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    ok, thanks. one more thing, this WON'T fuck up my transmission will it?
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    and if im already moving, and i pull it back into drive 3 and floor it, it won't fuck anything up will it??

thanks
    -Harvey

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '88 Accord Lx-i
    No, it won't I do it all the time, and my transmission is fine, just don't race goin up hill, cuz no matter what a 5 speed will beat you up the hill.

Just keep it in 3 until you have to get into 4th gear, and no you won't hurt the motor, since you can't over rev, the trans. shifts right at red line if you do it right, so it won't cause any harm.
    - 01 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Flip down LCD screen and DVD player, 8000k HID's, Westin light bar w/ PIAA 520's, Custom Flowmaster cat-back.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    2 is second gear.

D3 uses 1st 2nd and 3rd gear

D4 uses 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear

DOWNSHIFTING to 2nd from D3 after you have used up 1st gear will allow you to hold 2nd gear for as long as you want RPM wise.
    6,000 rpm 7,000 rpm 8,000 rpm Kaboom! :lol

same goes for D3 once in 3rd gear it will hold the gear untill you upshift to D4 then you will swith to 4th gear.

The wierd shifting that happens now and then when you turn corners is the fluid moving in/out of the torque convertor from the G forces.

Other things like releasing the accelerator and the flooing the gas pedal quickly right after, adjusts the TV cable from low rpm shift to high rpm shift and you get a little kick...

Since you're moving and released the gas the TV lowers and so does the shift point... the lower shift point puts your car in the next gear up. you slam the gas the The TV raises... the Shift point raises and since you're not reving enough to reach the raised shift point, the trans downshifts. thats the little kick you feel in that situation.
    - llia

Vehicle
    '95 del Sol VTEC
    D3 kicks ass. i use it in the morning when i need to floor it on the highway.
    -T.C.

Originally posted by HostileJava
    are you making fun of me because I think coroncho80 is hot?

Vehicle
    91 GSX - 89 Si - 87 DX
    Ahhhh, the infamous "racing with an auto." It's nice and easy to do, just remember, you dont need to hit the brake while you're shifting gear to gear, otherwise you'd be slow as shit lol. Just pay attention to the pull of the motor, and move gears when there's less pull.

Vehicle
    '95 del Sol VTEC
    lol hit the brake. that would be funny to see someone doing that. i will demonstrate with this:

"Vrrmmmmmmm, screeeech, vrmmmmmmmm, screech, vrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm, screech"
    -T.C.

Originally posted by HostileJava
    are you making fun of me because I think coroncho80 is hot?

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Coupe
    when i race i use d3 for 1st gear..2 for 2nd...and d3 and d4..but i dont think mine is shifting into 4th...cause my d4 is fucked up...thats why my top speed is 95 i think...

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 dx accord
    i think it will mess up ur transmission because i did that and now my trans is messed up, the 2nd gear went out. when i put it in second it just keeps rev. and it will barely move.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Coupe
    My Reverse is kinda messed up too...but it sound kinda cool...it revs pretty loud just to move a little...but i dont really care if it screws up my car....im selling it in 3 months anyways when i go army

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Exi
    my favourite thing is to get going about 40-50kph, whats that like 25mph. put it into N, and rev it up a bit then slam it back into D3. the trick is to put it into D3 when your RPM's are falling so it's not "as" rough on the tranny; then as soon as you hit it into D3 hit the gas.......I've even mastered this technique to launch quite well. ""This is not for people who have a bad tranny to begin with""!!!