Thread: cant get the driveaxles off!! for the swap

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 lxi sedan

cant get the driveaxles off!! for the swap

hello everyone, i have removed everything off the engine except for the driveaxles. I cant get these things off and i have tried and tried, i read the haynes manual for it, and tried it. Right now both cv joint boots are disconnected, but the inside of too stuck for me to get it out. I have an 89 lxi sedan that i need to get my new engine in or my parents are going to kick me out for not getting a job!!! Please help me, i have the hoist and tools needed from next door.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Integra LS-ZC
    there should like a C ring holding down you axles, try using a pry bar it should just pop right out.
    JDM CONCEPTwww.jdmconcept.com
    1989 Honda Integra LS 134whp/108lbs tq
    1991 Honda Legend 163whp/163lbs tq
    1991 Honda Integra LS-Special

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    a prybar for sure ! between teh tranny and joint or a big screw driver !
    watch out for oil it will spill !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Integra LS-ZC
    drain your tranny first, hehe...
    JDM CONCEPTwww.jdmconcept.com
    1989 Honda Integra LS 134whp/108lbs tq
    1991 Honda Legend 163whp/163lbs tq
    1991 Honda Integra LS-Special

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.
    when i had to get mine out i used literally a 2 and half foot or 3 foot pry bar and it still took alot of effort. try that..and good luck

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 lxi sedan
    ok in the haynes manual it tells me to remove the damper fork from the strut /shock absorber assembly and the suspension lower arm. It also says to remove the lower arm-to-sterring knuckle balljoin stud nut or pinch bolt and serparate the lower arm from the steering knuckle. It says to pull out the stering knuckle and hub until the end of the axle is out of the way. Support the end of the axle with a piece of wire to avoid unnecessary straint on the inner cv joint.

Do I ReALLY HAVE TO DO ALL OF THAT OR JUST PRY IT OUT WITH A CROWBAR?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    The Service Manual like Haynes also describes removing the damper fork and separating the lower arm from the knuckle. It then goes on to say pry the driveshaft assembly with a screw driver to force the set ring at the driveshaft end past the groove. It goes on to warn not to pull on the driveshaft as the CV joint may come apart. Pry out the assembly straight to avoid damaging the differential oil seal.
    I am very interested in your method. I have tried unsuccesfully to remove the fork bolt on both sides. I got so frustrated I had Honda do it. My Dad watched the mechanic. The mechanic never removed the damper fork! He removed the cv joint and slipped the shaft thru the fork. On my Subaru I removed the bolt holding the lower arm on the frame of the car instead of struggling with the knuckle-to-lower arm. I was then able to pry the shaft out of the driveshaft end first. Good luck!
    Bill

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1994 accord coupe RIP/ 88 accord lx sedan, 99 Honda Prelude
    i just disconnected various suspention components and pried the end off.
    one of my 88 lx's is up for parts. good engine and transmission. pretty much everything is there. the fenders and hood are bad but other than that it's pretty good.

RIP my beutiful 5g coupe. May the villans rot in hell!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 lxi sedan
    i have tried for 3 hours and it wont come off. It kinda did, but now the tranny is being pushed away, because its hitting on something else. I have tried taking stuff of the whell that it says in manual and even with the correct tools, they wont budge. We are giving up now andtaking it to a engine install shop.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    You need to at least take off the lower joint and damper fork nut. You'll need 2 jaw puller, 14/17 sockets, breaker bar will be good and a pry bar.

LX User
    the end of axle must be free to move out ,nothing obstucting its movement at hub side. Then a prybar postioned in a good location will pop out halfshafts.