Thread: Stainless Steel headgasket

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 LXi coupe

Stainless Steel headgasket

this is more of a check to see if anyone is interested in me trying this out. I have stainless steel that is in almost a tinfoil form. i know it is good for more than 1500 and can take extreme amounts of pressure ( my dad works at a company that uses it to wrap turbines and replacement hips in to protect it during heat treating, very very hot at extreme pressure to push impurities out) i used two pieces sandwiched between a template to repair my stupid pacesetter gasket between the header and y pipe and it worked great. a gasket that never goes bad. i am looking into either making a sandwich with an existing headgasket or using a template to sandwhich a bunch together. if it works it would be better than a copper gasket. i have a 2 extra A20A3 engines lying around, so i have things to try it on ( and 2 late 80's celebrities i can try it on, plus that stupid sunbird) it's a risk but it'll be a long summer, and this is the only thing i could do to help possibly further our cause ( that hack ECU thing is awesome, as is the potential for the B- series heads i saw)

1988starter
    sounds like a good plan is it thinner than a stock one.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 LXi coupe
    it would be considerably thinner, i'll measure it tomorrow with the micrometer to see how thick the stuff is, it's late, and i'm headin to bed
    89 LXi coupe, rims, full exaust and tokico suspension, white paintjob with light gray white flames (and white trim)

Vehicle
    88 Accord
    if you have the extra cars, then try it out! You would have to use several layers of it, plus your head and block would have to be very flat. other than that it sounds like it might work.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    all i can say is m.l.s. gaskets already exist.i dont know if there making them for our engines but that would be nice !
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 LXi coupe
    alas i won't get a chance to try it for at least 2 more weeks, (finals are coming up and i have a heavy load) but i was talkign with a bunch of my friends and we are looking ot expand our knowledge on working on cars and we want to try it. diving into the internals is the best thing to do this.
    89 LXi coupe, rims, full exaust and tokico suspension, white paintjob with light gray white flames (and white trim)