Thread: How to fit an intake on?

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB

How to fit an intake on?

Ok I have an '87 Lx-i hatchback. I have looked around and it appears that nobody makes an intake for my car. I am looking for anything, just a short ram with a K&N type filter on it would be fine. Does anybody know where I can get one? Perhaps one for a different type of car would fit?
    I like to think of my car as a sleeper. Sometimes it seems like it is sleeping.

DX User
    you could take out the stock intake pipe and just leave the pipe piece thats in back of the engine buy a piece of intake tube real small bent like a u shape and put intake . thats what the dude in my performance shop did . but remember to also take the filter thats connected to the throttle body out . ps i seen some body with a iceman integra cold air in our hondas

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    i like it when newbies help out other newbies, cuz if they didn't, then they'd have to listen to us rant and rave about how it's in the FAQ....
    -Harvey

DX User
    Vehicle
    LXi 1987 Fuel Injected Sedan
    DUDE, it is real simple. Buy a 92 civic intake. It is a 6-8 inches too long after the bend, just cut the excess off and you are fine. It is what i did and it works perfectly

Bruce
    Engine Mods:
    Milled the head
    Advanced Timing
    Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    New Injectors
    Cool Air and Ram Air kit
    Dismantled EGR Valve
    Pace Setter Header 4-2-1
    No Cat into a Pace Setters muffler

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i (done for) 88 crx si 91 bmw, 93 lexus es300 project88dx accord
    heh i bough a short ram intake from ebay from a 96-00 Civic it fit Perfectly didnt have to cut shit, heres what it looks like

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17334
    Last edited by blazin3gen; 05-01-2003 at 05:52 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Ok I checked out all the intakes on ebay... how do I know which ones will work with the vaccuum hoses? How many do I have to connect?

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    Just get a 92-95 Civic intake. That's what most of us have. Then saw off like 4-6 inches (where the filter goes) then you're set. Don't get a cheap filter, one that will rub against your brake lines. I don't know how K&N filters are cuz I've never tried them before, but if you want a good filter, get a Weapon-R filter. It'll be right against your brake lines, but won't rub against them. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Ok evidentally you didn't look b/c you would have found out that Weopon R makes an intake for the Lx-i's and Se-i's. But you can but pretty much any intake and modify it to fit. I just had to modify my weber intake to fit under my hoodscoop and it worked fine.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by Blue Impact
    Don't get a cheap filter, one that will rub against your brake lines. I don't know how K&N filters are cuz I've never tried them before, but if you want a good filter, get a Weapon-R filter. It'll be right against your brake lines, but won't rub against them. Good luck.
    sorry but the quality of the filter does not determine wether or not it rubs on teh brake lines.

the SIZE of the filter makes a difference, as well as the length of the intake tubing. i dont see how quality makes a difference.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Ok my question again... I haven't looked but how many hoses do I have to connect to the intake? 1 or 2? any sensors? Cuz we had to install a sensor in my friend's '00 civic intake.

Vehicle
    1992 Infinity Q45 - 1996 Nissan 240SX
    1 Hose ...No sensors

Vehicle
    if you have an 88-89 LX-i it is different. i am not sure about those

but for an 86 LX-i u have 4 total hoses that need to be addressed.

two that come from the mystery vaccum box, on the left side of the engine bay. and 2 for idle up and idle control valve on the other side of the engine bay.

for the hoses on the left, u can just drill holes in the intake tube, and use grommets, or at least electrical tape around the hoses, so the sharp metal doesnt affect it, and the hoses will stay in place.

for the other hoses. they should have been plugged into a small box that drew filtered air from the old air box. i simply took the small box off, and attached a breather filter to it. (9mm fitting) then those two hoses get all the filtered air they need. also i would reccomend a breather filter on the crankcase vent (i think thats what that is called) on the valve cover. i used the hose. and i have a little bit of oil in my intake because of it.

good luck. damn i should write an 86-87 how to.. hehe

Vehicle
    1992 Infinity Q45 - 1996 Nissan 240SX
    Originally posted by 88LX-iSedan
    1 Hose ...No sensors
    Yeah, Sorry quote applies to 88 LX-i

1988starter
    86 and 87 LXi 3 hoses and 88 and 89 lxi 1 hose when I got my 92 civic aem intake it came with 3 holes 2 grommots and 2 plugs so it was perfect for all years.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Ok so I have an '87 lx-i, which is 3 hoses. The intake I ordered looks like it has 2 holes. Where are these hoses located? I am only aware of one that comes from a metal tube, which I will attach to the intake with the included silicone hose. Where are the other 2 hoses I have to take care of and can they just be plugged or do they need to be hooked up to the intake?

1988starter
    There are 2 hoses i think about 1/4 inch accros on the C shaped intake tube and one from the valve cover.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    Ok so the one from the valve cover I am hooking up to the intake... Should I drill holes and connect the other 2 as well?

1988starter
    yup

Vehicle
    your car will have 2 more hoses to worry about. on the drivers side of the engine bay as well!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988, Honda Accord LXI, 1986, Honda Accord LX, 1986, Honda Prelude
    I have a 1990 integra short ram intake with a K&N air filter, big power diference, from my GP filter, stock filter was nothing comepared to this.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    For these 2 hoses can I just hook up a breather, or separate filter to them? Or do they absolutely need to be in the air intake?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 honda accord lxi
    cai
    88lxi under construction
    01 integra wheels

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i HB
    cai? that doesn't tell me shit man

1988starter
    Put them in the intake forget the breather.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i (done for) 88 crx si 91 bmw, 93 lexus es300 project88dx accord
    CAI=Cold Air Intake...but what did u mean by that???