Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: engine swaps are a waste of time and $

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Originally posted by YK86
    Wasn't the cam the cause of the idling problem? Maybe if it was toned down a tiny bit, it would have been a better daily driver?? Just curious because I remember Geoff at Colt Cams saying people ask for the wildest cam, then complain it idles funny and doesn't pass emissions testing.

I never comlained... It idles great once you get the fuel mixture right... and advance the timing because the low vaccum can't pull the advancing diaphragm open enough.

haha about the emissions testing though... I mean if they are going all out racer and excpect to pass emissions too... sheesh.
    You can still pass if you have a carb cause you just lean the mixture out and get new plugs and away you go... I would warm the car up first but no heavy driving with a lean mixture...
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Oh and OLD SCHOOL... how come you don't like the idle...
    Maybe it was just the EFI computer not able to handle the low vaccum signal???

I purposely drop it to 500rpm or so just to get that low rumble the domestic race cars get when you hear them idle at the line.
    - llia

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    ok to close this topic.this topic was not to incite a riot but to make you think of less exspnsive way to mod yr cars. engine swaps are always popular ask any bodys whos swapped a v6 for a v8 or a small block v8 for a big block v8. its always about power.but for those of you who don;t have the expertise time or money for a swap you need to stop thinking about it and get on with modding yr exsiting engine. good luck.

happy to see you thinking.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord Exi
    if there were more aftermarket stuff for our cars we would never have to have this conversation at all. Everyone underestimates the power of these cars. Where I live its all Civics and newer Accords. When I pull up beside someone, and then blow their ass off, they get so insulted(of course my car is UGLY). They think that a car like that shouldnt go that quick(but it does). I have yet to see any car mags or car shows actually show off one of our cars and not say anything bad about it. Thats what I truly love about my car, its quick enough to upset some people.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    hey formerly89exi

ya I am with ya there..I wish our cars had more aftermarket support. But ya know, some people say our cars are ugly.. and others don't mind.. when I look at my car.. i think it looks sweet.. like looking at it from the side from a distance away.. it has that long sleek look to it..esp cuz I lowered mine and put my wing on.. and now that I just recently had my exhaust done.. it looks sweet..

but ya.. I can blow away many cars.. and it leaves the drivers thinkin ??

kinda funny I think... I love blowin people away..
    but my next step is gettin efi swap done..

then my ultimate plan.. to get a Gs-R or Integra Type-R engine put in..
    R.I.P Spoon Se-i 01/17/04

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Lx auto
    Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
    I have to object on your "theory"!
    Now do you think a 3rd gen accord motor will take 80 shot stock? The answer is NO!
    if someone is willing to come help me and fund the project i am willing to sacrafice my car to test this

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Originally posted by tyne89

if someone is willing to come help me and fund the project i am willing to sacrafice my car to test this
    :lol
    Good luck! Make sure you get a nice strong hood or your pistons might fly through your windshield as well

Oh and by the way, I don't remember if I talked about gear ratios, Honda did admit the lack of low end torque on the B16's thats why they fine tuned the tranny, to give it the perfect spice to the equation. In my experience it revs throughout the rpm's power band like there's no tomorrow! Fast shifting and nice pull.
    I'll never go back to the A20a1

Don't get me wrong, the A20 is a verry good start compared to SOHC Civics and those crapy engines.

Funstick is right, if you are in the low budget area and looking for performance, our engines can deliver a good rush to your veins! Like I said, it all depends what your goals are and how fast do you really want to go in the future.
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

Vehicle
    1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Edition
    Originally posted by 3rd GEN
    hey formerly89exi

ya I am with ya there..I wish our cars had more aftermarket support. But ya know, some people say our cars are ugly.. and others don't mind.. when I look at my car.. i think it looks sweet.. like looking at it from the side from a distance away.. it has that long sleek look to it..esp cuz I lowered mine and put my wing on.. and now that I just recently had my exhaust done.. it looks sweet..

but ya.. I can blow away many cars.. and it leaves the drivers thinkin ??

kinda funny I think... I love blowin people away..
    but my next step is gettin efi swap done..

then my ultimate plan.. to get a Gs-R or Integra Type-R engine put in..
    I get complimented on my car quite often actually. A few people ask me if it's a prelude Lol!

and people around here seem to love 3rd gen Preludes, there are heaps around.
    ANd hell they are the only nice ones!
    Cocaine's A Helluva Drug! - Rick James
    I really fracked things up for you Bill - Colonel Tigh
    Girl we couldn't get much Higher! - Light My Fire

Vehicle
    1988 / Honda / Accord / LX-R

SWAP

Last edited by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›; 09-05-2003 at 05:41 PM.

Personally I think some of you aren't seeing the real point of doing major mods like engine swaps.

Of course you could buy a newer "faster" car with the $ it takes to do a good swap. But Id do it just to say that I have one of the fastest 3Gs out there... I mean...like oldschool said earlier

possible 13's in the 1/4!! unbelievable...and thats probably the main reason (I think) why these guys do these swaps. Its a pride thing...something you built thats very rare...you cant get that feeling by going out and buying a newer "faster" stock car...youd just be another stock prelude, civic, camaro, (or whatever) driver.

By the way...noone seems to be talking much about the B18C5...it seems to always be H22's or B16's...hmm....just wondering.
    Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup???

Vehicle
    1988 / Honda / Accord / LX-R
    Last edited by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›; 09-05-2003 at 05:40 PM.

DX User
    I believe this subject is very VERY incorrect.....
    with just 4000 $ you can swap a type R (b18c) engine with nitrous dipped transmission, and everything else, and clock 13'z
    (high) when i boosted my engine with the garret t-71 monster turbo kit .it improved my time to low 11'z (which some peeps say that it supposed to be at 10'z) no stock accord with just know how can clock 13'z , regardless of porting out the head /intake manifold, etc.....if u do ...... then I made a WASTED investment
    White faded paint job lil body damage....dent in bumper.... With a type R motor ,crower rods, JE pistons, t-71 boosted w/t hidden spearco intercooler,blitz turbo timer/boost controller,Blitz BOV supersound, JET ECU, (sold alpine 6.4 inch moniter) groundcontrol coilovers,ADR spyder rims=11.6 @109MPH

DX User
    Open intersate? a 3g with mods? can u catch me at 195 MPH?
    a soon as i get my pr3 JDM ecu ...I'll reach 205 MPH =)
    White faded paint job lil body damage....dent in bumper.... With a type R motor ,crower rods, JE pistons, t-71 boosted w/t hidden spearco intercooler,blitz turbo timer/boost controller,Blitz BOV supersound, JET ECU, (sold alpine 6.4 inch moniter) groundcontrol coilovers,ADR spyder rims=11.6 @109MPH

Vehicle
    2013 Tricycle
    The fact that anyone is arguing over these things only means that the underdog hasn't yet been able to prove themselves. By that, I mean that if it makes SO MUCH SENSE to just build the A20 to stronger, better, faster, then why hasn't it been done yet and why would EVERYONE be misled to believe that engine swaps are good. They are. I'm gonna side with funstick and crew on this only because I believe it can be done. The fact that it HASNT been so far doesn't inspire much confidence... but I plan to begin working on the same things they're talking about in about a month. Guess I'll see myself.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    2003 Dodge Ram 2500 hemi. 1990 Nissan 240sx.
    Originally posted by 89LXiR-acer
    a soon as i get my pr3 JDM ecu ...I'll reach 205 MPH =)
    That soundlike bs. 195 mph on a 3geez? please....
    1995 Lexus SC300
    1990 Nissan 240sx.

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    I notice you didn't quote his mod list. If he's got what he says he's got, I wouldn't call it impossible for him to get to 195. How the hell he KNOWS he's going 195 when the speedo tops at 130 is up for debate... But yeah I'm sure it's feasible for a T71-boosted type R to do shit like that.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

DX User
    Vehicle
    88/Honda/Accord
    well i am still mixed on the situation...the main thing that is holding me back from a engine swap is my car only has 90k original miles on it but the thing that makes me want to have a new engine is because it is carbed...so i am still thinking.

Joe

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    He could do it....but thing is, would he want to in a 17 yr old car? Unless you have got that thing on a completely brand new suspension/body mount kit - I mean EVERYTHING replaced - then I say you are suicidal. The car has absolutely no control at that speed.

Oh, nice engine by the way. How in the hell did you fit that in there, and we still haven't seen pics of it.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 4dr lx, 91 CRX Si, 92/civic/hb si, 94 mustang GT conv.
    I would have to agree with Inabj2.

That soundlike bs. 195 mph on a 3geez? please....
    With the type R trany in 5th gear at redline forgetting drag resistance and depending on the tire hieght you will only be able to go 180mph.
    87 4dr LX "It was FREE"
    91 CRX Si it was only $500 hehe

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    Oh, and to ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› thinking about the supercharger. Unless you are thinking on a Vortech side mount unit, forget it.

The Eaton/Jackson Racing ones won't fit as they come from Jackson Racing, as all the motors they are fit for lean back, not forward.

I went to the NOPI warehouse down here, and borrowed their JRSC unit in the case, took it out to my car, and plopped it on the top of the engine. It won't clear with the lean the engine has forward. You need to come up with a custom intake manifold setup to make it work, or modify the mount plate for the intake manifold portion on the JRSC unit. THAT I am still working on....
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 4dr lx, 91 CRX Si, 92/civic/hb si, 94 mustang GT conv.

MoonScryer1

JRSC makes them for the D16Z, ZC D16A, B18C, B16A all of these motors lean forward. Maybe I'm misinturpeting your post. well just thought you might want to know.
    87 4dr LX "It was FREE"
    91 CRX Si it was only $500 hehe

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Just like the G2 Integras the master cylinder is in the way of the JRSC. I wanted to go that route as well but it wont work w/o a lot of custom fabrication. The money you spend on the fabrication you might as well go turbo.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty