Thread: Oil Level

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi

Oil Level

What should be level of oil be? I'm talking about on the stick. I think the mechanic overfilled it.

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    There are two dots on your stick. The oil should not be above the upper dot.
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    My mechanic overfilled my oil by almost one liter. (As I found once I drained the excess). Instead of just opening the drain bolt (didn't have a way of lifting the car) I chose to syphon the oil out. Seeing how high the level was I decided against starting the engine again and just proceeded to lower a rubber hose of appropriate diameter through the dipstick guide into the oil pan. After I got the end of the hose in the oil I simply used the old gravity trick and syphoned the excess out. Beware though that this method takes a lot of time because the internal tube diameter is small and the oil is relatively thick. If the oil level is slightly above the full mark it may not cause damage, but if it is excessive, the excess pressure may press out or otherwise damage the oil seals. The amount of oil it takes to raise the level from the bottom hole to the top hole is 1 qt. You can guesstimate the amount of excess oil based on this volume and decide how you want to remove it from the engine.

Hope you find this helpful.
    Last edited by '89AccordLX(Rus); 05-07-2003 at 01:38 PM.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    our cars are supposed to take 3.2 quarts or something right? i always put in 4 and never have problems.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

The "official" amount in quarts is 3.7. I put in three quarts and then about 20 ounces of the fourth quart. I doubt that four quarts is overdoing it enough to make any difference. In my case, before I got the oil pan gaskte replaced, I would need the excess along with more to keep the thing full of oil.

1988starter
    For me 4 quarts raises it exacly to the top level

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    4 quarts exactly puts it about 1mm above the top dot, which is just fine. That's after I start it and let the filter fill up
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
    4 quarts exactly puts it about 1mm above the top dot, which is just fine. That's after I start it and let the filter fill up
    when i change my oil i pour some oil into the filter before it's even on the car. fill it just a little and roll it around so that everything you pour in gets absorbed into the paper and at the same time lubricate the rubber ring on the filter. it's just a little thing i do each time, maybe more for piece of mind. but when i put the filter in it's not dry so that's kind of nice.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Originally posted by Grant2k
    when i change my oil i pour some oil into the filter before it's even on the car. fill it just a little and roll it around so that everything you pour in gets absorbed into the paper and at the same time lubricate the rubber ring on the filter. it's just a little thing i do each time, maybe more for piece of mind. but when i put the filter in it's not dry so that's kind of nice.
    Thats how it should be done, lube the ring seal and fill up most you can, but its sideways nature makes filling it up impossible. Just a little is fine, the lack of oil pressure is min. If you want a even piece of mind, just let the engine crank, but not start, for 10 sec., to build oil pressure by filling up the filter. But i think thats over kill.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    here we go again !
    READ CAREFULLY >

OVERFILLING THE OIL WON'T RESULT IN IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS , but it will result in damaging your oil pump , engine oil seals !

hope this clears things up !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    Originally posted by ACCORD EX
    here we go again !
    READ CAREFULLY >

OVERFILLING THE OIL WON'T RESULT IN IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS , but it will result in damaging your oil pump , engine oil seals !

hope this clears things up !

MIKE
    drastically overfilling, yes, but putting in 4 quarts rather than 3.7, no.

i heard this story that happened one day when i was not working. a guy with some little car like a Geo or something came in and bought some oil because he thought his car was low. he bought like 3 quarts and put them all in and then he came back and bought more and continued to fill his car until he could see the oil from THE TOP OF THE VALVE COVER rather than looking at the dipstick. so he started his car right in front of the store, smoke came out everywhere, there was oil all over the parking lot and he didn't drive home that day.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    :lol :lol :lol what a dumbass :lol :lol :lol
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    ok i was wondering about that too. they have told me 4 quarts before, but i knew it was a tad bit under that. im gonna need to change my oil soon. as well as the tranny fluid, and i might as well put in some new radiator fluid. i love valvoline oil, but i may use some royal purple. this guys shop i know sells it. he uses it in his racing turbo 5.0 mustang, so that stuff must be pretty good.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    2006 Honda Civic LX
    A kid that I used to work with had an older Jetta that leaked oil. Well, he though that it was low, so he put like 2 quarts in it. Started driving and smoke and oil started commin out everywhere. Next day I check the oil and im like holy crap. Drained 2 quarts out, start it up, and it runs fine again lol.

tim