Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Project, 4g Distributor / Ecu ( Obd-1 )

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)

OBD 1 conversion "?"

Well, pretty soon I'm about ready to do a b-series engine swap. But first off I wanna stay one step ahead and do the 5spd swap, aftermarket b-series intake manifold, and OBD1 conversion first. Besides, I'm curious to see what these 3 mods do to the a20a3 first before I go all-out b-series on this thing.

But I really want to know more about how do to an OBD-1 conversion. I barely seen anyone running on OBD-1 on this board and I want to know from those who've successfully done it on what exactly I need to do. Would I need the OBD1 conversion harness? I know I need an OBD1 conversion jumper harness to turn my 3 pre-OBD plugs into 2 OBD1 plugs...OR spend time with a wiring diagram - cut off the 3 pre-OBD plugs and wire up the 2 OBD1 plugs so you can use an OBD1 ECU. Much like installing a stereo without a wiring harness. An OBD1 ECU and OBD1 distributor is needed too of course.
    I wonder if you could somehow use the 3gee distributor housing for that perfect stock-look fit, but inside would be an OBD1 distributor. My friend told me you could gut out the 90-93 teg distributor and put it in the 3gee distributor housing with a little machine work like boring out the shaft hole a bit.

Would be nice to run without that big vaccum box anymore. Cus vaccum sucks! Ironically and literally

Here's the thread I found. But all that reading and still no final verdict on what to do to run an OBD1 A20A3.
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37494

I guess I'll just hold off till I have a b-series engine in the car? That sux cus I was curious as to what this mod could do for the A20 as well as get the conversion wiring taken cared off so I can later just swap the b-series engine in and not have to worry about the wiring anymore.

Sentimentally, I wanna make the A20 "go out with a bang"- give it all I can, of sorts in a way that I can make a smooth transition to the b-swap before I say goodbye and say hello to the B-series world. If the OBD1 mod works, I might consider going turbo over the b-swap simply cus of the level of ease.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 06-06-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    First, OBD 1 has 3 plugs too. They just put the last 2 together in conversion harnesses. A conversion harness will make life much simpler. However, you still will need to re-pin your Accord plugs to match OBD 0 Civic/Integra plugs. Then put the conversion harness in. You can also do like you said and just wire the OBD 1 plugs right in. It might get confusing because there are some different things going between the 2 OBD systems. You don't necessarily have to cut the plugs off either. All the wires come out. You can stick a paper clip in the end of the plug to release the wire from it. I've seen that an F22 dizzy will fit. I think from the 90-93 Accords. They're all OBD 1 so you can try those out.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Hmm I'll try and get a 4gee dizzy next time i visit the salvage yard to get a 4gee MAP sensor to replace the 3gee one. So a 4gee dizzy with an external igniter right? is that 90-91 or 92-93 4gees? Oh well, I'll go and see. Thanks guys.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    ECU tuning for the A20 is absolutely a waste of time. Wait until the B-swap.

Peace.

The Watcher sees all and knows all. I like to watch!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    90-91 accord has internal coil, 92-93 has external coil. Im looking at the possibility of putting obd-1 guts in the accord dizzy... im not sure its worth it yet though
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    im positative there is a bolt in option for the OBD1 conversion, its just all a matter of finding it. kinda hard to go out and have 10 diff dizzys pulled just so you could try to fit it up.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    How much sensors will I need to have in order to run a 4th gen dis with carb. Will I need the ECU? If I do I don't want the ecu to throw codes and go into some default timing mode. Or can I just run a Crane or MSD igniton box and use that to adjust timing curves.

I was thinking Map sensor could be installed no problem and same with a TPS. Although the throttle plates on carbs tend to be more at and angle when at idle, something I'll have to adjust for. EGR will need to be converted to the EFI one or bypassed. will I need 2 O2 sensors? Could I get away with resistors in the place of the injectors?
    What else would throw a code and cause problems?

Will I need the efi vacuum box? that shouldn't be hard at all since it's a quarter of the vacuum lines found on carbed models.

Quote Originally Posted by PhydeauX
    Playing devil's advocate for a bit... After market caps are available that allow you to run an external coil, I'd like to think that they help the spark scatter as well.

andy
    And either run a new cap on the 90 -91 to run an external coil or just let honda fix their mistake and run with the 92-93 with the external.

BTW on my internal coil on my Corolla, I noticed that my tach I hooked up to it doesn't start to move smoothly till I get over 2000 rpm
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-07-2005 at 10:50 AM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    you wont be able to use the F22 because you'd be needing the vacuum advance. I dont think its possible to use an EFI dizzy with a carb. Seems like it would be easier just to use the stock dizzy if you're sticking with a carb.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    True but the cam I have in now doesn't pull much vacuum, it would be nice to bypass it.

Does the F22 get rid of the mehanical advance as well?
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    f22 advance is controlled by the ECU which makes it nice for tuning with the ECU.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    90-91 accord has internal coil, 92-93 has external coil. Im looking at the possibility of putting obd-1 guts in the accord dizzy... im not sure its worth it yet though
    my friend said it's possible. he's done it to his a20a3 before. now he has a 25 psi turbo'ed jdm b20a pushing about 490-500 hp. he's a 65 yr old auto shop teacher with 40 yrs experience building engines and knows his shit. here's a pic of his engine bay:

spent about $16,000 on that setup. i drool everytime i look at his setup. now he's building an 800hp h23 (non-vtec) to put into a 5th gen accord.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 06-07-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Bigger pic please.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    and why hasnt this guy joined up here?? I bet rob would be interested in talking to the guy.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    More then just rob
    - llia

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer
    and why hasnt this guy joined up here?? I bet rob would be interested in talking to the guy.
    LOL he's an old guy, not to mention also a teacher, so he barely has time nor the interest to get online. I'm sure you know he'd be bombarded with questions if he were to join up here. I'm annoying enough as it is and he still doesn't spill the beans on his secrets. He just kinda gives me hints and always tells me "do the research". He just tells me what works or doesn't, then I go and try for myself.

I'll try and ask him what his setup consists of. He's planning on selling that 3gee to fund his 800hp H23 project. I'll ask how much he wants for it. Like I said, he spent around $16000 building up that car, so I'm guessing the asking price would be around that figure. But can you imagine the feel of a 500hp 3gee?

I'll find some bigger pics and post it up soon.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    please do, my friend. please do. 500 from a b20a is infuckingcredible. i think i'd be happy(er) we 200 out of my a20. see if you can't get him to co-author a book or something. so at least he makes a bit off of spilling his secrets and can fund his project.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    please do, my friend. please do. 500 from a b20a is infuckingcredible. i think i'd be happy(er) we 200 out of my a20. see if you can't get him to co-author a book or something. so at least he makes a bit off of spilling his secrets and can fund his project.
    He could write/sell the "3G 500 HP Handbook"
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-07-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2000 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    He could write/sell the "3G 500 HP Handbook"

Vehicle
    Here are some pics that he was willing to send me:

BIGGER PIC OF THE B20A:

THE PROJECT H23A upped to 2.4L, NOW AN H24A:

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    EDIT: Oops I thought all the pics were of the B20A
    Well I guess my questions are for the H23+1 then.
    Are those extra enrichment? Cooling? or nitrous hard lines?
    From how it looks one runs fuel and the other Nitrous... but I wanna be sure.

Stock manifold runners? Ported at all? Any low profile velocity stacks / air-horns where they meet inside the plenum?
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-07-2005 at 08:00 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    I think he told me those lines are for No2. I dunno anything else about the engine though. He somehow managed to up the displacement to 2.4L. That's how he's been able to make incredible HP. These engines are boosted and bottle fed. He uses water/methanol injection for cooling rather than an intercooler to maintain boost pressure and engine space. Crazy huh?
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 06-07-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    hey, is his turbo intercooled at all?

Vehicle
    This guy is awesome. While all of us here at 3geez wonder how to make a powerful setup, this guy has it down to a science. If I had the money, I would buy that 3gee off him. Or have him build me an engine.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    the wiring doesn't bother me at all... maybe we can meet up at the 'yard and check some stuff out... heat doesn't bother me, just as going through the yard swapping dizzies between cars doesn't bother me...

btw, what yard do you go to?