Thread: Weight reduction with a little bit of style

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Lightbulb Weight reduction with a little bit of style

I just Got my 86 Honda Accord LX, and I want to get started right
    Away but Money Is An big issue for me. I want to go all out race startin wit da interior first. What I wana do is get some interior spray paint and do the dash Red, then I wana strip the whole interior Carpet celling, Everything I want the bare metal to be showing then, I will take out the seats,shift console,ext....
    and do all the metal Chrome or Silver Spray Paint so it will have
    A pretty custom look on the inside,I wana get as close to Chrome as I can get. And on the dash I will Mount An Autometer Sport Comp tach (Silver Version) with a carbon Fiber Mount cup, Red and Silver Sparco Pedal set,E-brake Handle, I also want a tripple a-pillar mount for gauges but I cant find one for the 86 Accord or the 80-shit Accord should I say (lol)!!!!!, If you Have Any Suggestions on this topic Please Let me know, I wana Cut as many corners as i can to save money while doing my weight reduction. Oh I also forgot I also want to install some Red Tenzo-R DTM Race seats too!!!!!!! SOmebody help me!!!
    Last edited by BigDReaMER; 05-26-2003 at 07:33 PM.
    Kenneth Edward Wilson

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    sounds like rice to me.

if youre gonna gut it just leave it alone

i always convince myself to gut my car, but i never do, because i know it will want the "custom" look, which will just bring all that weight back. plus i have a really nice interior, so it would be a waste to trash it.

yeah silver, red, big tach, guages on stock car, sounds rice...

btw pedal covers and ebrake handles are a waste of money if you are building a race car.

what u need is a priority change lol... heheh

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    your name (bigdreamer) suits you well. but anyway, good luck with whatever you go after.
    -Harvey

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

Talking Light weight reduction wont work for me now!!!!

Thanx Bobafett for the advice I 'le probably end up leavin the interior the like it is right now and just mask off all my windows and do the interior spray paints for now,guttin it would take too much time,and besides what if i dont like it later, I'le be cryin about havin some interior and wont be able to get it bak!!!!!

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I'f you're serious about racing the interior appearance shouldn't be your focus, so when/if you gut it... gut it all the way.

As for cutting corners... i don't see how you can do that... basicly you're just removing everything you don't need.

Right not I'm down to 2 front seats... a Tach, oil Psi, vacuum, and air/fuel guage.

the dash is a flimsy shell with carpet layed over it... and the rest of the guages like the speedometer and fuel guage are gone.

I still have the rear and front door pannels... cause for some reason my locks don't work right without it... plus I like the side pockets... but I'll toss that soon too.

as for racing seats you only need the drivers side... unless you are doing some type of rally where you'd need a co-driver.

if you're serious about saving money then don't buy all those type r pedals and shift knobs and e-brake handles...

if you can get a wider cover for the brake pedal that would be a good investment... other then that you really don't need covers.
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord
    I just stored my interior so if I want to put it back I can. I can also do some work on it while its out.
    racer x

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i coupe, Auto

Re: Weight reduction with a little bit of style

Originally posted by BigDReaMER
    I want to go all out race startin wit da interior first.
    lol. "Rice" seems appropriate for this project. Usually when someone wants to modify there car for racing, they start w/ the engine or suspension. How much faster do u think a red and chrome interior will make u go? Maybe a stripped interior would help in weight reduction, but no need for the paint. Every mod u listed isn't going to make u go faster at all. I hate rice. Sometimes I wonder what things would be like w/o "The Fast and the Furious." I'm sure of one thing, this guy wouldn't have gotten the idea to rice out the interior of his race car. Oh yeah, heres some real advice BIGDREAMER, give up on that interior shit for now and focus on something that will make the car go faster. (no stickers, please)
    "Turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white." - Barack Obama

My car is sitting outsite gutted cuz I've been putting on some sound deadener and let me tell u the difference is not worth the trouble. How you going to take girls out anyways with no seats, shes not going to sit on your lap as u drive tho that would be nice. Plus it just looks shitty :shrug: I can't wait to get my car back together, I'd rather spend that time fixing up the motor but hey if you don't mind by all means go for it. The interior has its own sound deadening and Honda painted the whole car inside and out, sound deadining too. Only in the trunk is there bare metal (on the sides) but usually the carpet sticks to the sound deadening over time and it really tooks nasty
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1995 Kia Sephia LS
    weight reduction: remove stereo and speakers, replace steering wheel with a lightweight one, remove carpeting, if you can afford one get a carbon fiber hood, cut holes in interior sheet metal (be careful not to weaken the structural integrity) lightweight 15 or 16in rims (OZ, SSR, 5zigen) plexiglass replacements, and Racing seats, remove rear bench, remove the header heat sheild, A/C (after professionally evacuating) NO WINGS/SPOILERS.
    Visually: we already got the steering wheel, rims, seats, ummm am I missing something?

If you dont like the metal look (removing carpet) then carpet the backseat metal where the bench was.
    Last edited by scandalcat1; 05-27-2003 at 05:49 PM.
    "In silence, the word is sown. So that it may flower shouting, it goes quiet"

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1995 Kia Sephia LS
    Oh, and replace the exhaust with a full lightweight catback, ceramic headers, shave some weight off the flywheel, smaller battery and then relocate to the rear for better weight distribution, remove the spare tire (If you are sure about it), aluminum radiator, newer smaller electric fan (radiator), replace stock springs with lighter ones,
    Last edited by scandalcat1; 05-27-2003 at 05:51 PM.
    "In silence, the word is sown. So that it may flower shouting, it goes quiet"

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    big dreamer is this a reply to ur other thread about the weight reduction? BUt seems like u made a whole new post with a new subject line on it. Stop making multiple threads bro.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX
    it sounds like this guy is easily influenced. I want a wieght reduction, no never mind, well maybe i will, oh wait nevermind... lol! why dont you spend all the time and energy that you would ripping your car apart and put it all under that hood or exhaust or suspension. those kinda mods would benefit more than having no interior.
    Mods:
    32/36 weber dgev
    accell super stock coil
    vacuum lines removed
    pacesetter header
    carsound highflow cat.
    biohazard racing muffler
    delta 272 Cam
    Rebuilt engine

Vehicle
    2000 ACCORD LX/ bro- 02 CIVIC EX
    You can also remove your air conditioning and power steering...and it definitely sounds as if your going for show and looks........

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    Yea, I wouldn't strip out the interior unless i was going to use my car for racing only!!

Vehicle
    98 Av6 3oh
    ya. think aabout it. once you strip it down. itll be race only. noone will want to or be able to drive with you. itll look like shit. and if its still your daily driver--your puting bad extra miles on it.

spend some cash and drop a b series engine, get light STRONG rims, hell with style. no wings. no glass. use plexi glass. it doesnt have to be street legal if its a racer. no exhaust or cat back if its gonna be a racer--well depends on local rules and regs. rip out enything you dont need t ostart the car and drive it fast in a straight line or in a circle. spare tire, break cover anything.

and if you dont have the $$ to do anything to the engine while your turning your car into a can. THAN DONT BE A FUCKING MORON.

your goign to have to spend lots of money on high performance pistons, new cam, b series engine--AT LEAST or your look like an ass. TURBO it at least if its an A20.....

heres a simple equation:
    ALL SHOW + NO GO =

-Travis-

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi
    This kid sounds like he's 14. Dude, don't do the weight ****. Your car will look like ****, it won't be much faster, and if it is w/o doing anything to the engine, it'll still be running much slower than a fast car. If you want a ricer :cough: racer, mod the engine/swap. Sounds like you're bored with your car and you want to do something. Best advice is use your car to get around. If you want a 'racer' go buy something old and do what you want with that. but don't screw your car over.
    Aaron
    My spelling was never a streingth...