Thread: Muffler Help

LX User
    Vehicle
    Black '89 Lx-i coupe

Muffler Help

I'm interested in getting a new muffler for my car. I like the bullet or cylindrical style muffler with the large openings (like the 3A racing bullet straight), but i know there are many styles and cuts for the openings. I don't want anything extremely high pitched. I want one that will sound deepish but also loud when i crack it goin' down the road. Make any sense? I don't wanna sound like a critch rocket. I'm just not sure which opening style to get...i mean i know i want the cylindrical mufler body style, but i don't know how wide to get it and what cut. Anybody have any suggestions? By the way, i'm not trying to spend over $140 on the actually muffler either Specific models would help me alot. Thanx

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    http://members.cardomain.com/ntlyku

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    hmm the bigger the pipe the louder the sound... I guess the deeper note comes from the internals of the muffler... they have something like a resonator in the muffler to tune the exhaust... my muffler has that and it's pretty deep... but it doesn't get too loud... first because of the stock header... and second because the baffled design... straight thru muffler get a louder sound but they tend to have the raspy sound...

what controlls the sound might be the diameter of the holes drilled in the metal that seperates the muffler packing from exhaust gasses.

After all a muffler is just what the name says it is.... if you wan't it to be real loud just stick a tip to the exhaust pipe and forget the muffler.
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yeah, get a tunable one, u would be soo much happier. Research the muffler u want and decide and chase it down on ebay, u get good deals on there.