Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT , SUPERCHARGER ( rubberburner )

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX

Exclamation PROJECT , SUPERCHARGER ( rubberburner )

Hey dudes, I just had this wild idea today, but let me know if u think I'm nuts. See, I always thought it'd be cool to supercharge my car. Problem is, I'm really cheap. I was thinking about vacuum cleaners today. So I took out my dad's 5.5 HP Sears vacuum, turned it on, and put my hand over the blower side. There's actually a good amount of force coming from the thing. You get my drift......... If I could hook the fan system from a vacuum up to a belt off the crank, I'd be happy with just 4 or 5 PSI. I'm gonna hook a pressure guage up to that vacuum, and see what it's really pushing. If it actually works, then I gotta figure out how to make the carb work under pressure. Let me know what you guys think.

James
    James

'86 Accord LX 5spd > Bought for a hundred bucks.....Canadian. Leaks oil, has lots of rust, and is about 5 different shades of green.

Mods: True ram intake, K&N, vacuum line removal conversion, 14" aluminum wheels, $20 cd player, $20 speakers, dual barrel air horn.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    It won't work that way... the boost you see will never be that high when the engine is running at high rpms. Cause you have to boost past the engines normal amount of air intake.

it may not even get 1 psi.

There is a neat carburetor supercharger Shepherd79 found... it's made by JUDSON
    - llia

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    well good luck with that. the $200-$400 you would spend on a vaccum would be better spent on NAWzWWZZZzz yo... then again it would be wiser to get the basic mods first, so that you actually get the most out of forced induction!
    Last edited by A20A1; 06-01-2003 at 05:02 PM.

1988starter
    bolt it on and plug it in se what happens when you rev

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX
    So ur thinking it won't push enough cfms.........hmmm. On the side of the vacuum it says "305 km/h." I'll hook it up to my intake in the garage and see what I can do.
    James

'86 Accord LX 5spd > Bought for a hundred bucks.....Canadian. Leaks oil, has lots of rust, and is about 5 different shades of green.

Mods: True ram intake, K&N, vacuum line removal conversion, 14" aluminum wheels, $20 cd player, $20 speakers, dual barrel air horn.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    you had better clean it out real good... you don't want all that dirt blowing into your intake.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Oh and you can't pressurise the stock air box... there are a tone of places that the air will seep out of.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    '86 Accord LX
    Well, I just hooked up the vacuum to my intake. It only increased the revs slightly. However, the air box was leaking like crazy, just like A20A1 said it would. So I'll seal it up, and give it a try. Wish me luck.

James
    James

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I found a CAMDEN SUPERCHARGER that will work with carbs and is sized right for our motor. Only trouble is adapting it to our manifold and getting the pullies setup. After that start setting the ignition controls and up the fuel mix where needed on the weber or holley you are using.

Maybe for engine management the J&S SAFEGAURD should be nice... it seems more intuitive then simply retarding the timing on boost pressure like the MSD and others do.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    why not try REAL forced induction... like a turbo?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    It's not as easy to turbo with a carb unless you go draw thru.
    SC if much simpler.

If he was running EFI then I'd suggest turbo.
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    it is alot easier to tune SC pull through setup than push through turbo setup.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I figure this would be an easy way for the SC to fit... plus I'd make the manifold tilt where needed so it could use the 38 weber kit like the 22r has.

First I'd need to lock the SC in place so the pullies line up and the 38 has clearance and the proper angle... then build the manifold to meet the SC.
    -------

The A20 Pully rotates counter clockwise if you are facing the outside of the pully.

From what I gather the 22R rotates clockwise.

This isn't good news.
    Last edited by A20A1; 09-15-2005 at 09:43 PM.
    - llia

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    ^^ I dont see why they would make the engine run in reverse. As its completely pointless lol. But either way, that looks like a nice setup.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    screw hood clearance. what you need is this:
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

SEi User
    Vehicle
    swifts/sprints boosted
    Photoshop? lol already have that thanks.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    yeah, i just threw that on there.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreDaug
    ^^ I dont see why they would make the engine run in reverse. As its completely pointless lol. But either way, that looks like a nice setup.

Reverse? there is no such thing, the motor will spin the direction it was designed to.

The cranks are spinning the same way it's just our pully is on a different side so the pullies don't spin the same way in relation to the way you are facing. I need the SC pully on the other side of the shaft... that will let everything else stay the same. I asked about doing this in an e-mail to camden and they wanted me to give them a call instead of giving me what seemed to me a simple answer they should know off hand.
    Last edited by A20A1; 04-28-2005 at 03:29 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1990 CRX, 1992 Honda Civic DX (sold, then stolen! :(), 1988 Honda Accord LX (sold + missed :()
    How much would doing somethign like this cost, anyway?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    3k perhaps... I'm sure if I asked camden they would sell a unit with the pully on the opposite end. They do mostly RX-7 work now though... If you had infinite funds then you could probably give them a motor and they'll custom make what is needed.

Beyond the SC kit cost itself you should think about:
    Engine management
    upgraded fuel system
    pistons that lower the compression ratio and can handle boost
    a good amount of fabrication work
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i dont think you need engine management with a carb. Think about it. All the big blocks have been running SC carbs forever and they dont have ANY engine management.

but a vacuum doesnt put out nearly enough CFM's to do anything worthwhile.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    if you go carb supercharger setup, you don't need fuel management. it is all about the tunning the carb. the only management you will need is ignition. for that you can get Crane Hi-6 ignition with boost retard setup.

a few year ago, sport compact car had a the fastest Geo Metro. it was supercharged with holley carb on the side. the motor 1.3L. so if they can do it, we can do that kind of setup too. it is expensive to go under boost.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Ignition is a part of engine management... I listed the J&S unit above as an example of what I was looking for.
    - llia

Vehicle
    Accord 88 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    if you go carb supercharger setup, you don't need fuel management. it is all about the tunning the carb. the only management you will need is ignition. for that you can get Crane Hi-6 ignition with boost retard setup.

a few year ago, sport compact car had a the fastest Geo Metro. it was supercharged with holley carb on the side. the motor 1.3L. so if they can do it, we can do that kind of setup too. it is expensive to go under boost.
    If you have the money and research tools you can do anything. The Italians were Supercharging Alfa's back in the early 1950's. A dual stage SC on a Weber carbed 1.5 Litre would be blasting out over 400 hp! Engine and forced induction technology has come along way but even back then they had engines that would knock you on your ass!

"The Future is Unwritten" -Strummer

"speed costs money, so gaffer tape and cable ties will suffice"-Peasant Tuning

Check these out, I dont know much about other honda engines, so i figured i'd post it here. The positioning looks similar to ours.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=33370
    http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=33371

~Matt