Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B20A: is a VTEC head swap possible?

Vehicle
    2010 Genesis Coupe; 1996 240SX

B20A: is a VTEC head swap possible?

Or is it too old?

Pics of the '89 Accord Coupe: link

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    Didn't some one say that all the B-series heads are interchangeable?
    Carl

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    With a little bit of work, maybe. But why? If you are going N/A, then I can see it, but is it worth the expense? There is a guy with an 89 sedan and a B20 in Puerto Rico that put ITR pistons in it, bumped the compression to 11:1 as the result, and it goes like a mutha. I'd rather do that than a VTEC conversion.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    What exactly is involved in doing a VTEC conversion? I have a basic idea of how VTEC works and how it increases power, but I don't really fully understand the mechanics of it. And are you talking about a head swap or adding VTEC to the B20A head? Oh and while I'm on n00b questions... wtf does ITR stand for? WHAT ENGINES WILL FIT IN MY CAR HELP MY RIMS HAVE TOO MANY LUG-HOLES
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Accord of the Year - 2006

If I remember correctly someone was trying that but it required machining of passeges and some other stuff.

I think it was that place that imported engines. Mike lee used to have a link for them on his site.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx 4dr
    ITR= integra type r
    CTR= civic type r

the itr pistons arent the right size to work in a b20b/z i dont know about the b20a

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    Originally posted by MoonScryer1
    With a little bit of work, maybe. But why? If you are going N/A, then I can see it, but is it worth the expense? There is a guy with an 89 sedan and a B20 in Puerto Rico that put ITR pistons in it, bumped the compression to 11:1 as the result, and it goes like a mutha. I'd rather do that than a VTEC conversion.
    I didn't know ITR pistons could fit into a B20a, ain't that something. Learn something new everyday.
    Carl

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Originally posted by CARBurn

I didn't know ITR pistons could fit into a B20a, ain't that something. Learn something new everyday.
    That is the advantage of any B series motor, pretty much everything is interchangeable. Heads, pistons, cams, JDM, USDM, don't matter lol....we are certainly deprived in that aspect.
    -Aaron-
    "I play russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

Vehicle
    a 93 z34 that's getting parted out, an 86 accord lx that now lives in a j/y, and a 90 camry le that the state no longer allows me to drive. soon to be replaced with an aprilia rs50 or a derbi gpr.
    I knew that the famous Mike Lee B20A pistons were 82mm, and I just looked up that B18C5 and B16B pistons are 81.5, so I'd say yeah that's pretty damn close. TeKKnoTeKK: yeah pretty much anything is interchangeable, but the B20B has 84mm bore. The goddamn CR-V seems to be the exception to a lot of the B-series rules. The 0.5-mm difference is probably negligible or adjustable, but 3mm is probably giving too much play. Kind of like me on weekends.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX ... 2001 Accord LX
    VTEC is the way Honda maximises power and fuel to make a large powerband in the motor. Check out howthingswork.com and look up VTEC.

Basically (in a nutshell) the cam profile is changed at a certain point to make the engine flow more air, thus making more hp.

Its like 2 cams in 1.
    Good bye to the 1989 DX Type R. Hello 2001 LX.

DX:

"Four wheels, four doors, and no frills."

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Originally posted by toastyghost
    The goddamn CR-V seems to be the exception to a lot of the B-series rules.
    Which is why if I ever did a swap, that is the engine I would put in.......CR-V B20Z, forged pistons, VTEC head, Integra type-R cam. Hellz yeah, then I would turbo that baby......can we say, small fortune under the hood? lol
    -Aaron-

Vehicle
    Can we also say "small fortune from NIRA nationals?" If I had mad funds, I would definitely do exactly what you're talking about... B20Z block, B18C5 head, forged everything, intercooled turbo. It would be expensive but you would be an idiot not to figure out a way to make it pay itself off.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    I wonder what a B20Z would cost....I have looked for some on the internet but havn't really had any luck finding one. Since it is a newer engine I doubt you could pick one up at a junk yard unless you were really lucky. Plus I doubt that engine has any bolt on mods, everything would be custom. But with the swapabilty you should be able to get things done.
    -Aaron-

Vehicle
    http://www.hondamotorsonline.com/sho...20Long%20Block <--- B20B longblock, $799 + S/H.

I've seen them occasionally on eBay for about the same.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    that is a hydro tranny I assume? Kinda sucks that price is not with the tranny, the ECU would be another obstacle.
    -Aaron-

Vehicle
    At least it's late-model, you could salvage it if you looked hard enough.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    88 Accord LX-i 5 spd.
    Just the thought of pulling 200 or more HP at the wheels and around 150 torque relitively stock (with the VTEC head of course, and a few other mods) is music to my ears. I would imagine you could do it for 1500$-2000$.....WELL worth the price I think the B20Z-B20B engines are still fairly cheap because not a lot of people realize the potential of them.
    -Aaron-

Vehicle
    I know what you mean... If the mounts weren't so goddamn expensive, I'd be saving for the new B20, not the old one.
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord (B20A engine swap)
    I was doing alot of research into the B20A frankenstein last year. With the sole intentions of a 1.8 v-tec head on my B20A. To my dissapointment i've found the B20A is no good but the B20B is perfect. The only bad point I found was due to a longer piston rod (can't remember proper name off the top of my head but you now what i mean)which gives it good torque, with the stress from v-tec overdue pressure is forced on the piston and walls. Im not to sure how strong you need to get your piston and piston housing to cope but due to my plans of a Turbo at a later stage im guessing, pretty damn strong. Anyway frankenstein motors are a damn good idea, but if all else fails im gonna have to find a way to fit the H22A in, after all where there's a will, there's a way. (When the bank account agrees anyway!!)

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Damn another old thread brought back from the dead. How embarassing :lol

Vehicle
    Maybe I'm missing something but why are you commenting on this when you appear to be the one that resurrected it? I'm confused...
    ~<+045+ygH05+>~

Vehicle
    1991 toyota corrola dx-coming soon: 86 Accord Sedan
    he's got a point...decent reading material though.

Quick question: The B20b/z doesn't normally rev as high as the VTEC plants, and you would retain the B20b ECU with a swap(at least I would think so), so, how would you activate the VTEC? Maybe you would need a controller?
    I know that with the LS/VTEC, you can use a chipped P28(which is still vtec), or some other vtec ecu, but what would you do in the case of the CR/Vtec? Or is VTEC programmed into the CRV ECU, and just waiting for you to pin into it?
    is the B20z a vtec motor?

like I said, just a quick question...hehe
    Last edited by section-8; 11-22-2003 at 10:26 PM.
    pardon me for being the voice of reason

Banned
    Vehicle
    86 DX
    Originally posted by section-8
    he's got a point...decent reading material though.

Quick question: The B20b doesn't normally rev as high as the VTEC plants, and you would retain the B20b ECU with a swap(at least I would think so), so, how would you activate the VTEC? Maybe you would need a controller?
    I know that with the LS/VTEC, you can use a chipped P28(which is still vtec), or some other vtec ecu, but what would you do in the case of the CR/Vtec? Or is VTEC programmed into the CRV ECU, and just waiting for you to pin into it?

like I said, just a quick question...hehe
    The Block has nothing to do with the ECU used. You can use P28, P30, P72 ( with the c1 GS-R Head ) or P73. You don't want to use a JDM Ecu, because they have governors.

Vehicle
    1991 toyota corrola dx-coming soon: 86 Accord Sedan
    speed governors, or otherwise?
    All the ECUs you listed are already vtec...forgive my ignorance here...can you run those ecus in the crvtec? I assume there are tables in the computer that account for the difference?
    or, can you just chip the CRV ecu to work for this?
    pardon me for being the voice of reason

Banned
    Vehicle
    86 DX
    Originally posted by section-8
    speed governors, or otherwise?
    All the ECUs you listed are already vtec...forgive my ignorance here...can you run those ecus in the crvtec? I assume there are tables in the computer that account for the difference?
    or, can you just chip the CRV ecu to work for this?
    Forget about the Block. The Ecu depends on your harness set up & Head. for example: there are about 4 vtec swapped 3rd Gen Accords. 2 B16's, 1 Ls/vtec & 1 B18c1. They are using Pr3 Ecu's which are "PRE-OBD or NON-OBD. The guy with the GS-R is using a P28, because he has an OBD-1 setup.