Thread: Heat Shield!

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i

Heat Shield!

Hey guys, I was wondering what type of material i should make a heat shield out of for my intake? I've had intake for a while now and now it's summer and my engine is running at higher temps now b/c i think hot air is getting in the intake from the hot outside air and mainly the engine temperature. Should i use sheet metal or aluminum or what? What's a good material that won't get very hot under the hood that can sit next to the cone filter?

Thanks guys,

Chris
    *1986 Honda Accord Lx-i* 5-spd.
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi hatchback
    Get the exhaust wrap stuff that's used for headers and turbo piping. If it keeps heat in, it'll also keep heat out.

1988starter
    A while I made one that blocked hot air out of alluminum 22 gauge sheet metal but it was ugly so I removed it altho it did di a nice job.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    Thanks alot. I'll try that 22 gauge aluminum sheet metal idea. Hopefully it works.

Chris
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

or you can use PVC pipe
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I've seen a foam/reflective heat screen material... easy to bend and shape it the way you want it... it's also easy to cut.

Don't know what it's called but I've seen some in a package at checkers
    - llia

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    i am just curious if it took any effort to get your intake on the car? or did it fit like it was meant to go there??? i can get one for free, so if its not too much trouble i will put one on my car!

1988starter
    I had to cut about four incehs off the filter end for my AEM 92 Civic intake but I wanted the real huge ass K&N filter

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    The intake was actually incredibly easy to put on. I thought it was gonna be hard to do, but turned out a piece of cake. I also had to cut off about 3 inches of the tube on the filter end. Just go out and get civic intake and it will work.

Chris

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    thanks for the advice.... i will go see if he's home to i can snag it!

when you cut it did you just use a hacksaw??
    also, it looks very confusing with the air box and the tube that comes off of the throttle body etc... .which hoses do i need to remove entirely? and which do i need to hook up the the new intake somehow? (it has 1 place for a hose to slide on...)

if i just start disconnecting hoses will i mess it up too bad??? lol//

and if i need any other parts, let me know, so i can get them before the stores close!!!!

1988starter
    for your 86 you have 3 hoses one from the valve cover and 2 should be connected to your stock intake tubing after the U bent they are much smaller if I remember correctly. Also you should connect all three. When I got my intake it came with grommets and covers for all three holes.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    yes, you will use a hacksaw. Also, if you have a 86-86 then you will need to get a couple of T-fittings to connect some of the hoses you will be using. Talk to sabz about intake. He told me how to do it and it worked perfectly.

Chris