Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so 90-97 accord coilovers fit perfect?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Question so 90-97 accord coilovers fit perfect?

I planing put some coilovers soon like in month or 2 on my 86 Lx-i 4 door. and i see alot ppls saying on the here saying that the 90 and 97 coilovers fit perfect on are cars. has anyone put them on if so tell me and if there good. cuz i want some bad. WHen i bought the car the guy cut the springs and heated them. so i like MR.BONCE down there street.

help me out on info

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    The bouncing is from insufficent damping. Different (similarly stiff) coilover will still leave you bouncing unless you also get stiffer shocks.
    Mike

Vehicle
    but the 90-97 aacord coilovers will fit right.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    also somebody on here said that 88-89 and 88-85 civic coilovers will fit

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by Rendon LX-i
    but the 90-97 aacord coilovers will fit right.
    Yes.

But you'll still have the bounce, likely worse. Would you want more bounce than now?

You went out of your way to mention it, so I'd think it matters to you.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    damn i didnt know it would make it worse. i tought it was gonna make it better. will shit i need something. cut springs is not cool. and when its heated to it even makes it worse. that shit could brake

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    Jim, I thought that there was a catch to doing this. Don't you need a shorter spring if you use the coil-over system from a 4G? See, now I'm really interested, b/c if this is the case, i'll start looking into a true, full-bodied, coil-over system to install on the hatch.

Do tell, I'm muy interested.
    -Mark D.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
    Jim, I thought that there was a catch to doing this. Don't you need a shorter spring if you use the coil-over system from a 4G? See, now I'm really interested, b/c if this is the case, i'll start looking into a true, full-bodied, coil-over system to install on the hatch.

Do tell, I'm muy interested.
    No were definately not talking about full bodied, good old sleave type. No you can't run 4th gen sturts or 4th gen full bodied coilovers, struts are way to tall, even the "sport" versions that have shorter bodies are still to tall. Only thing I've seen on the 4th gen sleave type coilovers is when one member tried to drop drop is car to a rediculious drop, he couldn't get "dumped" as low as someone running GC's. Yet other guys running 4th gen coilovers don't have any issues, it was only one person and special circumstances that most members won't copy. If they do, I'd think they'd find a way around not being able to scrap the pavement if ya know what I mean.

Best hope for something different is for someone to pull a 1st gen teg or 88-91 civic struts and take all the many important measurements. I pulled a single front and single rear off a 94 civic last summer and ruled that car out, but the one's mentioned above still need to be checked out.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Coilovers will always bounce, thats just the nature of the beast.

Do 4th gen springs work? My g/f bought Sprint Springs and dumped her car 3" in the front and 3.5" in the back with springs using OEM struts and there is almost NO bounce. I'm gonna replace my springs with those if 4th gen springs work.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    Coilovers will always bounce, thats just the nature of the beast.

Do 4th gen springs work? My g/f bought Sprint Springs and dumped her car 3" in the front and 3.5" in the back with springs using OEM struts and there is almost NO bounce. I'm gonna replace my springs with those if 4th gen springs work.
    WRONG, coilovers on weak struts will always bounce. It has nothing to do with the fact that someone has coilovers that they'll always bounce. Bounce is ALWAYS the fault of weak struts.
    My car has the same spring system that coilovers use, linear, I have no bounce,........ever. If I did I'd remove the struts and through them down the street as far as I could and make the factory replace them under warranty, don't settle for the inferior, get it right the first time.

NO YOU CANNOT USE 4th gen springs, only the 4th gen coilovers.

Adding stiffer lowering springs to stock struts is a known receipe for having bounce and control issue's. Anyone claiming that they are riding and driving great with almost no bounce really isn't looking to hard for it's faults. Fact is, if the suspension designer for that car let a suspension like that make it into production, I guarantee he would be fired for incompetance. I've driven on car's with stiffer springs on stock struts, the test drive was on really nice city main roads, yes it did ride with little bounce. But the moment I encountered bumps, it's true nature was revealed, lot's of nasty bounce. Any time a suspension ever has bounce, you also have less control and lower handling capabilities. Cure the bounce and you'll not only transform the ride quality, you'll also transform the cars ability to handle well. You may think if fine now, I guarantee if that car get's the proper sturts it will be night and day better. Do not settle for the way it is now, it's one thing if you don't care though, something different if you just don't know any better.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
    WRONG, coilovers on weak struts will always bounce.

NO YOU CANNOT USE 4th gen springs, only the 4th gen coilovers.

Adding stiffer lowering springs to stock struts is a known receipe for having bounce and control issue's. Anyone claiming that they are riding and driving great with almost no bounce really isn't looking to hard for it's faults.
    You're right about that. On a bouncy road or a bump, you can tell a difference with the springs. Around town and and curves they handle awesome. Besides I dont know anybody who lowers their car looks to do some rally racing! But in my experience with coilovers, even on a flat road all coilovers i've seen bounce a LOT.

That sucks that 4th gen springs wont work....i really like those sprints. What is the exact reason why they won't work? Is the spring base/top too wide to fit on the strut mounts on the 3G?
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    I'm pretty sure that from what Jim was saying, that the springs themselves would be too tall. No, cutting them would not be a viable option either.

Most coilover systems that you see, or ride in, that are installed on daily drivers do bounce. That's not just b/c they're coil-overs. As Jim said, that's b/c they are not combined with the proper dampeners (struts or shocks). One thing Jim touched on is the Linear v. Progressive springs. Most "lowering springs" or just plaim ol' oem springs are progressive, while most if not all coil-over systems are linear.

What's this mean?
    Progressive: The spring is softer on the "ends". Meaning, the spring gets harder and harder to compress as you compress it further.

Linear: (Please forgive the vulgarity.) It's balls-to-the-walls from start to finish. It's just as hard to compress this spring 1 inch as it is to compress it 5 inches.

Linear is used to help "take the slop" out of a car's handling.

Now, to this day I don't understand why this is the case, but not only are 90% of all coil-over systems out there harder then your average lowering spring.... ...but in many cases, the cheaper sets have the harder spring rates. Why is that odd? Well, b/c 90% of the dampeners are just the opposite. Confused? Me too. Why? If you get hard springs, you need heavier duty struts to work correctly with them.

The problem with all this, and where the misconception lies, is that people buy coil-overs, slap them on with stock shocks and convince themselves that they've got themselves a race car. And that all this bouncing, is just part of the feel of a racecar. NOPE. Those hard-ass springs or coil-overs will make your car feel like it's on rails, have no bounce at all, and allow you to predict and control your car much better. All that's needed, and the only fix for it, is better, heavier duty dampeners.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    ok will Dropzone 90-97 coilovers fit perfet on my car with out any trouble. cuz i want some or 90-93. let me know.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Dropzone makes 86-89 accord coilovers. Their coilovers are extreamly stiff, even koni sturts will have a hard time controlling them.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    If the only reason the 4th gen springs won't fit is because they're 'too tall' I might just get them anyway and see how the are. Sprint Springs are pretty cheap ($160 for a set) and they drop like 3.5r and 3f. If they're not short enough for me i'll just cut em cause i dont care.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    yeah. just making sure that 90-97 fit. So your saying that DROPZONE is really still. how stiff are u talking about. i mean is it worse then heated cut springs cuz thats what i have and its boncy and at night i cant see shit cuz my lights just go up and down. lol

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    Heated springs aren't stiff, they're just bouncy....dropzones are stiff!

Alex

Vehicle
    so there pretty stiff. i still gonna get them. shit i need something. i rather have stiff then boncy

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    stiff == bouncy unless you shell out 450 for konis. or 700 for revalved konis

soft == manageable by konis, and hardly managable by tokicos.

jim has said it all along and i have tried many different setups and hes pretty much right on...

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by Rendon LX-i
    so there pretty stiff. i still gonna get them. shit i need something. i rather have stiff then boncy
    better not aerospeed coilovers then. They're bouncy enough to shake your friggin teeth outa your head. At 100 bucks a set, they're not too expensive tho.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    so tein 90-93 accord coilovers would work? sweet! only $800

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    No they won't work. As I said earlier in this thread, 4th gen springs, struts and full bodied coilovers, like teins will not work. ONLY 4TH GEN SLEAVE TYPE COILOVERS WILL WORK.

Here's a pic of what a sleave type coilove looks like.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads

Now I d

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    And here's a picture of a full bodied coilover.

Now I d

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Jims 86LXI HB - Just to clarify things.......i dont understand why the 4th gen springs wont fit. Are they too long? If they are just too long, will they fit on the strut? I dont care if they're too long cause i can just cut them. I'm just concerned if they will or will not fit on the strut. I might just try it with a stock spring and see what happens. But if you know that will save me some time.....
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    Ford work Van
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    Jims 86LXI HB - Just to clarify things.......i dont understand why the 4th gen springs wont fit. Are they too long? If they are just too long, will they fit on the strut? I dont care if they're too long cause i can just cut them. I'm just concerned if they will or will not fit on the strut. I might just try it with a stock spring and see what happens. But if you know that will save me some time.....
    They fit but if you are expecting a huge drop.. nope. you'll have to cut the spring down some. I'd just get some Dropzone sleeves for the 86-89 accords. why bother with the 90-93's?
    sorry guys v8's rule