Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so 90-97 accord coilovers fit perfect?

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Personally I dont like coilovers. I'd rather have springs and if i have to cut them i dont really care.

Do you know how the dropzones hold up? Ive heard about a lot of different coilovers breaking after a while. Esp the sleeve and adjuster 'nuts'. The only ones i've heard that havent broken are the Skunk2's and i dont think they make them for our cars.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    Jims 86LXI HB - Just to clarify things.......i dont understand why the 4th gen springs wont fit. Are they too long? If they are just too long, will they fit on the strut? I dont care if they're too long cause i can just cut them. I'm just concerned if they will or will not fit on the strut. I might just try it with a stock spring and see what happens. But if you know that will save me some time.....
    2 reason's

1. yes their to long, cutting them will make them stiffer and harder for a given strut to control. Remember that as a lowering spring, it's already stiffer, cutting them will make them even stiffer.

2. after the 3rd gen accord, honda switched to a narrower spring for the rear. so your wider rear spring seats won't let the narrower springs sit on them.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    I have a buddy who has a CNC machine who'll make me just about anything. I wonder if i could have him make seats for me for the back.......but now its kinda sounding like too much trouble to be worth it. Maybe i'll break down and just buy me some coilovers instead.......

heh heh or i could go really ghetto and heat up the bottom coil(s) and spread it out to fit my existing seat......... :super:

I think i'll first take a set of stock 4g springs and see exactly what all i need to do.

*edit* i've just had a revelation!!!
    take a set of stock 4G springs, and have my friend machine me some adjusters and bingo......i have coilovers!!! heh heh now we're talking!! :lol
    Last edited by NXRacer; 07-03-2003 at 02:51 PM.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by NXRacer
    I have a buddy who has a CNC machine who'll make me just about anything. I wonder if i could have him make seats for me for the back.......but now its kinda sounding like too much trouble to be worth it. Maybe i'll break down and just buy me some coilovers instead.......

heh heh or i could go really ghetto and heat up the bottom coil(s) and spread it out to fit my existing seat......... :super:

I think i'll first take a set of stock 4g springs and see exactly what all i need to do.

*edit* i've just had a revelation!!!
    take a set of stock 4G springs, and have my friend machine me some adjusters and bingo......i have coilovers!!! heh heh now we're talking!! :lol
    Why not just buy 3rd gen lowering spirngs?

Why do you need coilovers? Can't you meet your lowering needs with lowering springs? Lowering springs with their progressive spring design would be easier to live with vs coilovers, especially someone bend on running them with stock struts.

opmMotorsports make coilover conversion kits that you run out and buy 2.5" springs to use with. But you'd pretty much spend about the same buying Ground controls in the first place.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    I wanna keep my car as low as it is (at least a 3" drop) and i havent found 3g lowering springs that go that low. Do you know of any that go that low?
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Oh kay, yeah coilovers is the only way to get that, no 3" drop springs exist. Man 3" is awfull low to not be running shortened strut bodies in the front, you'll bottom out the struts inside allot, that kills struts, not to mention the stress of the stiffer springs doing that to.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Yeah, you say that but i havent really noticed any damage happening. I drive over all kinds of roads all the time and it doesnt seem to me that its that bad. I guess i've never been able to compare stock struts with shortened ones so i dont have real experience either. I used to drive pretty fast out on curvy country roads and i didnt have a problem with handling. Bumps are pretty hard, but i just thought that was cause i was dumped and riding on 40 series tires.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord
    So unless u spend $500 on Konis, no matter what u put in is gonna b bouncy. If u put in 4th gen drop coils, its gonna be bouncy, cuz there to tall?

DX User

Re: so 90-97 accord coilovers fit perfect?

cant you use a full bodied coilover from 88-90 civic for the fronts and the 90-93 accord for the rears and just replace the tophats with the stock top hats for a 3g????

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

^^ yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX 4 door

So can i just buy some 90-97 accord coilover sleeves and slap em on my 86 accord dx ? Or naw ?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Yes, but be prepared for a shitty ride. You will probably hate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g