Thread: PGM-FI light!!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi

PGM-FI light!!

Hey, after about 5 minutes of my 87 Lxi running my PGM-FI light comes on and stays on... What is the problem?

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    check the ECU for a code

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988, Honda Accord HB
    oxygen sensors or mav or map sensors, check computer codes

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LXi

Were is is ECU???

I can't find the ECU in my 87 Accord LXI where is it and what does it look like /?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    Put your driver's side front seat all the way forward and look in from behind it on the floor. Pull the little plastic tab off that you can see and it will flash a led when the engine is on if there is something wrong.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LXi

It blinked 12 times

It blinked 12 times which is the EGR according to the other post on here. Any ideas how to fix this?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    your EGR valve is stuck...replace it!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LXi

Ouch

Ouch....$160 thats alot would it be ok to replace w/ a used one?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord LXi

Cleaned EGR

Hey I took of the EGR valve and cleaned it it seemed to be in working order but i am still getting the check engine light. On my EGR there is a black box on top does thast have any thing to do with the EGR or is that something totaly different. Its an 87 Accord LXi 4cyl 5spd FI

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 prelude si A20a3
    I think the black box you are talking about is part of the egr valve. Maybe the lift sensor? I'm not really sure what you mean.
    87 prelude si
    87 non-turbo supra

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    mine is doing the same thing...i wonder if that is why the car wont go over 45mph
    Last edited by Dustin Imports; 10-14-2003 at 06:12 AM.
    3rd Gen Accord Shirts and Stuff
    Some of my Drawings
    85 IROC Z28,TPI 355ci,700r4, 9.4:1 Aluminum pistons, COMP CAMS street/strip hyd roller cam, HYE TECH ported/polished heads, HOOKER Longtubes, Full 3 inch exaust NO Cat, TPIS alum fuel pressure reg, ACCEL distributor, custom programed chip from Performance Resource, Competition Engineering shocks. 10/90 front 50/50 back. Eibach drag springs up front. Auburn posi. SLP cold air induction and airfoil.batt relocated w/ kill switch.Still on street tires (Kuhmos all around)SOLD
    87 IROC Z28, TPI 350ci, 700R4, 3.42 Posi, 4 wheel disk, Completely Stock (Wrecked)

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    mine blinked 12 times as well...damn...

where is this egr valve...*looks*

im still flipping out about getting to the altenator fromt the bottom.
    Some of my Drawings
    85 IROC Z28,TPI 355ci,700r4, 9.4:1 Aluminum pistons, COMP CAMS street/strip hyd roller cam, HYE TECH ported/polished heads, HOOKER Longtubes, Full 3 inch exaust NO Cat, TPIS alum fuel pressure reg, ACCEL distributor, custom programed chip from Performance Resource, Competition Engineering shocks. 10/90 front 50/50 back. Eibach drag springs up front. Auburn posi. SLP cold air induction and airfoil.batt relocated w/ kill switch.Still on street tires (Kuhmos all around)SOLD
    87 IROC Z28, TPI 350ci, 700R4, 3.42 Posi, 4 wheel disk, Completely Stock (Wrecked)

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    1987 LXi
    nevermind...found some info
    Last edited by Dustin Imports; 10-15-2003 at 10:15 AM.
    Some of my Drawings

1987 LXi 2.0 auto

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord SE-i FI 5speed Coupe
    Yeah my efi Light is coming on as well... as far as what the problem is... I have no clue haven't checked the stupid codes yet... hopefully nothing too serious... I'll let u guys know asap, n maybe u guyz can help... thanks.
    I will alwayz drive my 3rd gen Accord, ya'll will neva c me driving a 4 door Ford.. lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord LX-i auto & manual 88' Honda Accord LX auto
    Heheheh miones goes on and off ...wierd. I need to check the ecu also, but I just bought the car 4 days ago the guy told me it comes on and off and the honda dealer told him not to worry about it... I hope its not anything big. The car runs great!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord LX-i auto & manual 88' Honda Accord LX auto
    DOH!! It blinked 12 times ...soo what the hell does an EGR valve do????? Like i said in the previous post. The car runs great!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LXI, 1988 Accord LXI
    I still had a question on ECU code 8. No idea where to start.
    but here this might help.
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26342

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    TDC sensor is in the distributor....check the connector and wiring, if you got a multimeter ,check it's resistance at the connector....I think it should be something like 700 ohms, but dont quote me on that,check the manual on Pauls site or maybe someone else might post it

DX User
    Mine does that but some of my friends work at Darell Waltrip honda in franklin TN and they said that there is a sensor in the air reserve box (I think where the vac. lines go) But they said to pull it out spray it down w/ brake clean and take a little piece of wire and poke through all the little holes in the sensor and that should stop it for a while, but I'm just too lazy to do it. They told me this 8 months ago!

DX User
    mine on the lude does 12 times as well and my book says thats egr, so stuck once in a while, whats the cheapest easiest way to solve it?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    remove the valve and clean it with carb cleaner is the cheapest way.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 5-spd
    Yeah, clean it with carb cleaner and put it back in, and be sure to pull the ECU fuse (#11 in the 89 LX-i) to reset the ECU. Then start your car and drive around and see if the code comes back. If so you might need to replace the valve.
    1989 Accord LX-i Coupe
    K&N Air Filter, fog lights, NGK plugs, Bosch wires, Pioneer 5500MP, Pioneer 5.25's and 6x9's

DX User
    what if it is the lift sensor because that is what code 12 signifies.....is there anyway to replace the lift sensor without the egr being relaced

DX User
    Cool, will pick up some carb cleaner when I get paid monday, finalyl get a payday off to use my lil remaining cash before the bills come.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lxi
    i went to the junk yard and robbed a egr vavle from a car installed worked fine for like 30 minutes and now im still getting a cade 12. and the car runs like ass below 3 grand at low speed. feel it sputtering. above 3 grand you better move out of my way cause im hauling ass. does anyone know how to make my lovely computer happy again. i dont want to by a brand new egr thats over 100 bucks. im gonna run to the junk yard here soon to robb another one. hopefully i just a bad one. what would cause a egr valve to go bad besides getting dirty. thats obvious. i some technical info on this do-icky. thanks.
    :alc: 1989 honda accord lx-i, msd ss coil, iridium plugs, true cai, ported polished 3 angle valve job, dynomax muffler, hollow cat, dc sports header, eibach lowering springs