Thread: why is energy still draining from my car when not in use?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi - 93 Civic HB

why is energy still draining from my car when not in use?

i bought my 3G project car 5 weeks ago and is almost ready to go on the road. here is the one problem that i havent figured out yet, and i need some help. when i turn the car off at night, i double check that all lights are off and i even wait to make sure the ignition courtesy light turns off before i walk away. if i dont start the car within 2 days, the battery is drained. the car has a newly installed remanufactured alternator and the battery is within one year old. i have fully charged the battery a few diff time and get the same results. can anyone offer me some advice?

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    mine did the same thing..the prob was a gold relay near the battery,I think its the fan or A/C relay...take off the neg batt cable and get a test light to the post and listen for any clicks and go from there.

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    I used to have that problem. It turned out to be my battery. I guess some batteries do turn bad after recharging them a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    probably the seatbelt system (if it's a coupe) (check thread in efi forum i think)
    Anyway, have a multimeter handy and check the current draw while taking off one fuse at a time to find which system is making your battery dead.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    yeah thats a big problem, i had it too... you should be about 10ma or so if its normal, the bad seatbelt things draw a few hundred ma... enough to drain the bat
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    What seatbelt thing, guys? Tell me about it. It is a curse with the coupes?
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea I have got the same problem. I have to disconnect my battery everytime and even if the engine is running the battery still gets drained.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    Well ok somtimes the retractors in the seatbelts in the coupes (and maybe HBs... Maybe) never turn off and draw some current. Fixing it the right way usually involves getting new seatbelt retractors, but you might be ok if you just unplugged them, but im not sure what else it does to the seatbelts
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 lxi
    justin86, u got serious problems if u're batt. is still draining and the engine is running. u might wanna' check the alt.
    "I'm rolling, car not stolen, probably never will cause it's much too olden',"..... Devin the Dude

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord
    Also if your lights dont flip down your battery will still send power to them telling them to go down. This can cause battery drainage.
    -=MIKE=-

Updated progress on my car weekly here-> http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=383034

Vehicle
    Originally posted by n_jay78
    justin86, u got serious problems if u're batt. is still draining and the engine is running. u might wanna' check the alt.
    Yea I'm still trying to figure it out. I have found where the power drain is going to but the how I'm lost.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    Originally posted by wprocomp
    mine did the same thing..the prob was a gold relay near the battery,I think its the fan or A/C relay...take off the neg batt cable and get a test light to the post and listen for any clicks and go from there.
    i looked for around my battery but didnt see anything that resembled a gold relay, any chance you could post a pic pointing out the relay that gave you the problem? thx! maybe for now i'll run a test to see if i can figure it out myself

Vehicle
    Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
    Well ok somtimes the retractors in the seatbelts in the coupes (and maybe HBs... Maybe) never turn off and draw some current. Fixing it the right way usually involves getting new seatbelt retractors, but you might be ok if you just unplugged them, but im not sure what else it does to the seatbelts
    how do you know they are on? can you hear any sound at all, like a feint humm?

it seems to me just about every 3G accord i see, the seat belt retractors don't seem to do the job correctly because of the door panel damage i've seen from the seat belt buckles getting shut in the door. (or maybe it's just a bad design)

i think i'll try to unplug mine and see what happens, i doubt my retractor will get any worse!

does anybody else have problems with their retractors not working??

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    sorry no pics but its right next to your black fuse box under the hood,Its on the wheelwell...its prob dirty brown color and says denso on it there are two or three wires leading to it that clip in to the post on it

Vehicle
    Originally posted by wprocomp
    sorry no pics but its right next to your black fuse box under the hood,Its on the wheelwell...its prob dirty brown color and says denso on it there are two or three wires leading to it that clip in to the post on it
    by the description you gave it sounds like this part i put an arrow on, but mine doesnt say denso on it...

http://www.geocities.com/primo28/mis...?1057988445370

it that the part youre talking about?

LX User
    Try dissconnecting battery at negative side,then put a voltmeter/test light in series. If it gets energeized... u have drain.This is with all doors closed ,everything off,u can verify this by opening up door ..test light should light.
    Now pull fuses until the one that shuts test light off comes up. Now circut at least is found

Vehicle
    Well that is the coil.