Thread: Spring recommendation for wifes 89 Accord

DX User

Spring recommendation for wifes 89 Accord

My wifes 89 Accord has 128k on the odometer and the springs need replacing. I'd like to replace them with something better than stock springs but I don't want to sacrifice the ride and comfort. I also don't want the car lowered. Can someone recommend a good aftermarket spring and tell me where I can get them? Thx!

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    Koni's...bwhahahahahah

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Re: Spring recommendation for wifes 89 Accord

Originally posted by Topnikko
    My wifes 89 Accord has 128k on the odometer and the springs need replacing. I'd like to replace them with something better than stock springs but I don't want to sacrifice the ride and comfort. I also don't want the car lowered. Can someone recommend a good aftermarket spring and tell me where I can get them? Thx!
    Well even the softest lowering springs you can get have a 26% increase in stiffness. I had them and the car was fine for me, but I would not recommend them to someone saying they don't want to sacrifice the ride and comfort of the car. Your best bet would be to grab some springs out of a junk yard car and install new struts. You can go with tokico H.P.s or Kyb GR-2's, both of which are fine for stock springs, but not up to stiffer lowering springs.

Best place to get the tokico's is www.shox.com, the kyb's www.tirerack.com

And before you ask about the springs that only drop 1", those are much stiffer than the softest springs I was talking about above. You definately don't want them.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

DX User
    Thank you, Jim! So I'm gonna go with the KYB's from Tirerack. I had good luck with Tirerack recently when I purchased four Kumho tires for the Accord. What a sweet tire for only $36.00 each.

You say to get springs from a junkyard car.....hmmm. The mechanic who usually works on the car said the springs that are on the car now don't look too bad. But he said all front springs eventually need replacing so I figured I might as well replace the springs at the same time the struts are being changed. So if I get the springs from a boneyard how do I know they're any better than what the car has now? Should I just buy brand new OEM springs?

The other question I have is, if I attempt to install this stuff myself, are there any other suspension parts that I should replace at the same time I'm putting in the new struts and springs?

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    if the upper spring mounts are a bit raged looking, i would start there... and if it needs any balljoints or tierod ends, that will make it alot better to drive.
    i would get four brand new OEM springs from HONDA....

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    I ordered new aftermarket stock springs all around from www.partsamerica.com. They are made by TRW and seem to be much stiffer than the original springs. It could just be they were replacing worn 15 year old springs & struts. I paid about $107 for the 4 and about $38 more for shipping from NJ to WA.

The rears were about 1.5" shorter than stock, which made them very easy to install. The fronts were a bitch to get on with my cheap-o spring compressor powered by an 1/2" impact gun.
    Nothin' extra