Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What "good" struts can we get now?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    I like my tokico struts/shocks, but i'm only lowered 1.5- 2 inches, just thought i'd share. They should still be available.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord
    BITESIZE: Is that where your car is currently sitting at right now, 1.75 inches lower? If so, first your car looks great, and second how do you like the ride compared to any "lower" cars you may have ridden in.

Jims 86LXI HB: Is the Eibach/Tokico setup a recommended setup seeing there is no alternative?
    -=MIKE=-

Updated progress on my car weekly here-> http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=383034

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by BITESIZE
    I like my tokico struts/shocks, but i'm only lowered 1.5- 2 inches, just thought i'd share. They should still be available.

All lowering springs are stiffer, no matter the drop. Tokico H.P.s are only 10% stiffer at best. Yet carrotman tells us below (with his springs that are the softest lowering springs you can get at 26% stiffer than stock) that the tokico's stink. Eibach sportlines are 62%stiffer than stock. Going stiffer on weak struts isn't a good thing and what your experciencing now seams great, you'll be stunned how much night and day better struts that can control stiffer springs right, will make you car ride and drive. We all know it's a awesome car, but it deserves better than weak struts. So I'm not really understanding the logic or recommending something that is so universally known to be inferior. I don't doubt your feelings, but I'm worried you've gotten used to things that you shouldn't tollerate, things that would never pass on a new car.

Originally posted by carotman
    I have tokico in the front,,, they actually are the same as the koni......NOT They SUCK, they're pure crap on a lowered car. they would be ok on stock springs but that's all....

Do not get Tokicos in the front...

Originally posted by 88LXi68
    I had tokicos with Ground Controls and it was the WORST! I upgraded to front Konis like 2 months later. The ride became MUCH MORE CONTROLLED and SAFER. The rear tokicos held up ok, but now I have upgraded to rear konis. Although, I havent driven the car yet
    Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
    I know from expierence!!! I tied to go the cheap route and i seriously regreted it the ride was bouncy to the point your scared to drive very fast unless it was in a straight line. Took the Tokicos off and put Koni reds on and it's beautiful Save the money and do it right the first time!!
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    My ride feels as good as stock......just remember tokicos are only made for about 1 to 2 inch drops. I recommend the tokicos, i Paid $60 a piece locally for the tokicos and $200 locally for the sporline springs. I'm currently running 17 inch ADR rims with 215 /45 Federal Tires. The bigger tires help out with potholes here in idaho.

All of my friends say my car rides the best out of any lowered car they've ridden in, and they all have brand new Civics.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by BITESIZE
    My ride feels as good as stock......just remember tokicos are only made for about 1 to 2 inch drops. I recommend the tokicos, i Paid $60 a piece locally for the tokicos and $200 locally for the sporline springs. I'm currently running 17 inch ADR rims with 215 /45 Federal Tires. The bigger tires help out with potholes here in idaho.

All of my friends say my car rides the best out of any lowered car they've ridden in, and they all have brand new Civics.
    Actually your getting the "just like stock" sensation cause the tokico's are letting the springs do things their not supposed to do. It's a lack of control issue. Your overlooking things that would not make it past a factory suspension engineer, things that person would not except and send the car back for more R&D work. Know it's one thing if you don't know any better, it's another if you don't care and you've learned to settle. Problem is we shouldn't do that, the 3g is better than than that and deserves more. And Tokico themselves to no recommend the H.P. strut for use with lowering springs. Their techs no that the H.P. is not valved for that, they'll tell you to use thier Illumina strut, that is a strut ment for lowering spring not the H.P. Sadly of course we can't use the Illumina struts.