Thread: B18C swap?

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan

B18C swap?

Greets,

I've read over a lot of the materials and I know a GSR swap is possible. My only questions is since my car is OBD-0, what would be needed to make my car compliant with the b18c? I will be looking for an OBD-1 b18c engine to swap in.

Also, will it be necessary to change the ECU to a b18c ECU? I would like to so I can make the most of my new engine (including VTEC if possible), but I am unsure if this is necessary or if a wiring harness is all that is required for the ECU.

Does anyone know the effect on the diagnostics system and sensors in my car utilizing a b18c ECU? I've never done a swap before so I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I attempt it on my '88 LX.

Thanks in advance for the help. My a20a is getting on in the years and for the money it's going to take to fix the engine, I'd really like to just invest that into a better non-broken engine.
    1988 Accord LX Sedan 5-spd (A20A1)
    1995 Del Sol VTEC (B16A3)

Vehicle
    1988 / Honda / Accord / LX-R

Re: B18C swap?

Originally posted by Plastic_Fork
    Greets,

I've read over a lot of the materials and I know a GSR swap is possible. My only questions is since my car is OBD-0, what would be needed to make my car compliant with the b18c? I will be looking for an OBD-1 b18c engine to swap in.

Also, will it be necessary to change the ECU to a b18c ECU? I would like to so I can make the most of my new engine (including VTEC if possible), but I am unsure if this is necessary or if a wiring harness is all that is required for the ECU.

Does anyone know the effect on the diagnostics system and sensors in my car utilizing a b18c ECU? I've never done a swap before so I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I attempt it on my '88 LX.

Thanks in advance for the help. My a20a is getting on in the years and for the money it's going to take to fix the engine, I'd really like to just invest that into a better non-broken engine.
    Dude? are u sure u read up on this? You have an Lx.. Carb man!!! read up some more!
    -=PROJECT-=-

NOTE: Project-R Swap parts provided by Racing Impulse. Swap was Performed by RacingImpulse & Next Wave Auto Performance.

B-Series Wants You

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    What's wrong with putting a EFI engine into a car that was made for a carb? I didn't see anything mention not to do it or that it was an impossibility.

Vehicle
    What's wrong with putting a EFI engine into a car that was made for a carb? I didn't see anything mention not to do it or that it was an impossibility.
    YOU HAVE TO CONVERT YOUR CAR TO EFI FIRST!
    -=PROJECT-=-

NOTE: Project-R Swap parts provided by Racing Impulse. Swap was Performed by RacingImpulse & Next Wave Auto Performance.

B-Series Wants You

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    Hey man, no cause to yell. Questions and information -- these boards are here to help people among other things. If I need to convert it to EFI, care to enlighten me on what is necessary to do so? Or point me to a post that explains how to do so?
    Last edited by Plastic_Fork; 07-10-2003 at 05:54 PM.

Vehicle
    Hey man, no cause to yell. Questions and information -- these boards are here to help people among other things. If I need to convert it to EFI, care to enlighten me on what is necessary to do so? Or point me to a post that explains how to do so?
    Not YeLLing.. read this first and then decide what you want to do.. You swap a JDM B20a and run a carb with it.. That engine comes out of the JDM 86-89 Accords.
    -=PROJECT-=-

B-Series Wants You

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    And why would I want to swap in a JDM b20a? I had read enough on this engine to decide that was not what I wanted to run. I would prefer to swap in a b18c, but I need more information on this swap. This is why I posted. So far you have not answered my questions.

If I should run a JDM b20a, explain why this is a preferred swap to the b18c. Or even better, why should I not swap in a b18c? If you're going to make decisions for me, at least provide some information on your reasoning.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    damn!

get a B20 cuz its a bolt in and you can run a weber carb

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    And why would I want to swap in a JDM b20a? I had read enough on this engine to decide that was not what I wanted to run. I would prefer to swap in a b18c, but I need more information on this swap. This is why I posted. So far you have not answered my questions.

If I should run a JDM b20a, explain why this is a preferred swap to the b18c. Or even better, why should I not swap in a b18c? If you're going to make decisions for me, at least provide some information on your reasoning.
    Not trying to be an ass.. a B18c1 swap is expensive and time consuming..Only one person on this board has done it.. and he is running an OBD-0 setup... Finding a complete OBD-1 engine is going to be a pain in the ass and not really worth it.. Most likely you are going to end up with an OBD-2 engine... Then you have to replace all the OBD-2 parts with either OBD-0 or OBD-1 depending on ur setup..buy a new tranny , axles, shift linkage, mounts, wire harness, ECU and whole bunch of other stuff.. some other dude is doing a c1 swap.. I wonder who?
    -=PROJECT-=-

B-Series Wants You

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    No sweat, dude. The GSR motors were OBD1 up to a certain year (I believe 1994) before they went to OBD2. I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding all the parts I need, but I'm not sure what's involved with fitting an OBD1 b18c into my car since it's OBD0 and built for a carbeurated engine.

I wasn't sure the effect the b18 ECU would have on my guages or console lights, nor if any additional wiring would be needed to take advantage of VTEC from the engine. This is why I am asking -- if it turns out to be too much of a pain in the ass, then I may opt for a different engine. But for now I've my sights on a b18c1 swap. I can mate a mechanical clutch transmission from another b18 to avoid trying to do a hydo clutch conversion. Certain OBD1 b18 engines had a mechanical clutch trasmission which should work with the b18c1.

sorry.. i dont normally butt in but. yes u can do a gsr swap over ur carb set up. ur only set back is that ur going to have to redo ur fuel pump fuel tank and use the FI a20a3 wiring harness.

that is ur only disadvantage to completing ur swap. do correct me if im wrong about the fuel pump and fuel tank being the only things he has to change.. but otherwise, that is y it'd be harder for carb guys to do it. as for ur gauges. that's where REWIRING comes in play. im sure a lot of guys here know already. that ur tach is controlled by ur blaster coil. and ur speedo is hooked to ur speedo cable that goes into ur tranny. wellll... rewire ur blaster coil wires into a b16 distributor harness and rewire ur ecu pins to the proper b16 diagram. and ur set! rpm works. as for speedo.. well if ur using a b16 cable tranny or ls cable tranny.. then jus stick the original speedo cable into the tranny. and that's it! as for fuel and temp.. it reads off ur ecu. and i believe the fuel and water temp r the same pins on the a20 as the b16. so that's no problem. vtec wires jus has to be wired up to ur ecu using seperate wires. nothing biggy though

if u havent already read my thread about this swap. well here's a link if u need more answers to ur question.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&t...st+of+GSR+swap

jon
    Last edited by wickedaccord; 07-10-2003 at 07:17 PM.
    benson\'s 2.0 resleeved GSR block, PnP b16 head/multi angle valve job, ctr cams, hondata i/m gasket, str 68mm t/b, skunk springs/retainers, hondata s200b p30 ecu, LSD cable tranny, full race stage3 GT turbo kit (GT35R) custom 3 inch exhaust
    www.full-race.com

Vehicle
    Originally posted by wickedaccord
    sorry.. i dont normally butt in but. yes u can do a gsr swap over ur carb set up. ur only set back is that ur going to have to redo ur fuel pump fuel tank and use the FI a20a3 wiring harness.

that is ur only disadvantage to completing ur swap. do correct me if im wrong about the fuel pump and fuel tank being the only things he has to change.. but otherwise, that is y it'd be harder for carb guys to do it. as for ur gauges. that's where REWIRING comes in play. im sure a lot of guys here know already. that ur tach is controlled by ur blaster coil. and ur speedo is hooked to ur speedo cable that goes into ur tranny. wellll... rewire ur blaster coil wires into a b16 distributor harness and rewire ur ecu pins to the proper b16 diagram. and ur set! rpm works. as for speedo.. well if ur using a b16 cable tranny or ls cable tranny.. then jus stick the original speedo cable into the tranny. and that's it! as for fuel and temp.. it reads off ur ecu. and i believe the fuel and water temp r the same pins on the a20 as the b16. so that's no problem. vtec wires jus has to be wired up to ur ecu using seperate wires. nothing biggy though

if u havent already read my thread about this swap. well here's a link if u need more answers to ur question.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&t...st+of+GSR+swap

jon
    Hey jon.. what kinda power numbers are we talking about with a carb? Dual Carbs would be nice? Hmm anyhow.. I am gonna need ur assitance with some stuff.. it starts this weekend!
    -=PROJECT-=-

B-Series Wants You

well i dont know exactly. but "supposively" throwing carbs onto say.. my motor.. would help my air flow more effectively and a smoother flow.

that's wat some of my friends around says. but they wouldnt do it. ask urself.. Y WOULD I USE A CARB SET UP WHEN I CAN USE TODA'S INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODY'S?? or the TWM?

sometimes it's ok to run carbs.. and sometimes it isnt. u cant tune a carb like u would be able to an EFI.

jon
    benson\'s 2.0 resleeved GSR block, PnP b16 head/multi angle valve job, ctr cams, hondata i/m gasket, str 68mm t/b, skunk springs/retainers, hondata s200b p30 ecu, LSD cable tranny, full race stage3 GT turbo kit (GT35R) custom 3 inch exhaust
    www.full-race.com

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    Thanks, guys. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Jon,
    I don't suppose you've got a complete "how to" posted anywhere such as all the necessary parts and wiring?

Thanks!

Vehicle
    Originally posted by wickedaccord
    well i dont know exactly. but "supposively" throwing carbs onto say.. my motor.. would help my air flow more effectively and a smoother flow.

that's wat some of my friends around says. but they wouldnt do it. ask urself.. Y WOULD I USE A CARB SET UP WHEN I CAN USE TODA'S INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODY'S?? or the TWM?

sometimes it's ok to run carbs.. and sometimes it isnt. u cant tune a carb like u would be able to an EFI.

jon
    TODA.. I am selling my pistons!! Toda's TWM is $2200 bucks!! But it is sweet
    -=PROJECT-=-

B-Series Wants You

Thanks, guys. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Jon,
    I don't suppose you've got a complete "how to" posted anywhere such as all the necessary parts and wiring?

Thanks!
    haha!! sorry i dont. unfortunatly im not a moderator. i dont think i qualify for that.. not meaning im not true to the 3geez board. but! simply im not very good with the computer language yet. putting computers together is a cinch.. but programming is different for me.

but i did do that thread on the actual cost of a GSR swap. i dont think a lot of ppl that want my kind of swap have read it yet. otherwise, we'd probably have less questions about it. not that questions r bad... thanks anyhow

jon
    www.full-race.com

Vehicle
    '88 LX Sedan
    Well, the information is appreciated nonetheless. I may bother you sometime when I am ready to do the swap, but for now I am just collecting information to prepare what I need to do for the swap. Thanks, bro.