Thread: Faded bumper trim

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 5-spd

Question Faded bumper trim

Has anyone had the same problem of faded bumper trim (that black strip that runs around each bumper toward the top edge)? I bought some dye for them and have applied it with some success. The dye is called Forever Black (www.foreverblack.net). The only problem I have with the dye is that it seems to have come off in some places (looks like water drop shapes).

I was really wondering if someone has used this product or something similar and found a way to get it to stick permanantly to the trim? I recently tried light sanding, but haven't quite finished that project yet. I was really hoping for some kind of primer or something. Anyway, thanks for the help.

BTW, I really don't want to attempt spray paint, I worry about the overspray, but let me know. Thanks again.
    1989 Accord LX-i Coupe
    K&N Air Filter, fog lights, NGK plugs, Bosch wires, Pioneer 5500MP, Pioneer 5.25's and 6x9's

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord
    Painting your bumpers wont cause too much overspray. Make sure its not humid or windy. This is what hostile java did to his bumper.

-=MIKE=-

Updated progress on my car weekly here-> http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=383034

I sprayed mine too, but I had to sand the crap out of the strips and use acetone to clean them because I had tried too many products like silicone, armor all, and back-to-black.

Finally on the third spraying of the bumpers the paint stayed on!

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Re: Faded bumper trim

Originally posted by 89LxiAg
    Has anyone had the same problem of faded bumper trim (that black strip that runs around each bumper toward the top edge)? I bought some dye for them and have applied it with some success. The dye is called Forever Black (www.foreverblack.net). The only problem I have with the dye is that it seems to have come off in some places (looks like water drop shapes).
    That stuff your using isn't really meant to be permanent. I needs to be applied every couple of weeks. The best way to go about getting black again is using either bumper paint that you can buy at the auto parts store or do what I did. I sanded lightly, cleaned and sprayed all the bumpers with Krylon Fusion.

Vehicle
    1989/Accord/LXi
    Great idea, I have the same problem and wondered how to get the bumper and the strips around the car back to the black color. So the Krylon paint will stay on with one coat?
    "Mods to come," Pacesetter header, hi flo cat conver, strut bars, lowering springs.

http://members.cardomain.com/jimoblivion
    Offical SpeedCamp Member: Rick James B!tch!

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    It works best if applied with 2-3 coats. I think it gives a better finish that way.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

since this is a technical thread,wanted to add an update,I used the duplicolor bumper coating with really good sucess on both my back bumper and recently on the front bumper, in order to really clean it good,i used the dupont plastic prep you get from an auto paint store,it takes a lot of junk off that even scrubbing won't remove. sometimes some of the silicone based stuff is resistant to even soap and water. this is alcohol based and takes everything off. just make sure to use it in a well ventilated place because it's really strong. I primed my bumpers with the tech-niques flex primer from nappa,this is a pro grade flexible parts primer,and will make sure your paint has a good subsurface to stick too. since these bumpers are a hard plastic,with the flex primer underneath i'm pretty sure you can paint them with any color you want.

Vehicle
    ^My other asian body^ 1989 4dr lxi

I just wipe mine down with black magic tire shine, but it still doesn't help
    the back bumper because it has already turned gray. Has anyone
    sanded it down, painted with bumper coating and followed with a clear coat?
    OR sand it down, paint with body matching color and followed with clear coat ?

Vehicle

thats exactly what i did,but with the bumper coating you don't use a clear coat,it's supposed to be matt black,like the rest of the trim. the back bumper was done the same the front, cleaned first!!with dupont plastic prep,then sanded. the order in which you do this is important,if you don't clean the bumper first,you'll sand all that mess into the plastic and never get it all out. I used the nappa techniques flex primer first followed by duplicolor bumper coating. I did my back bumper years ago and it's just a small bit faded which isn't bad for brutal georgia summers. it doesn't take much every few years to wet sand it down and reapply a light coat to renew it. when i did my rear bumper it had like 6 coats of peeling blue paint on it,so it was a nightmare to fix. it came from a junkyard and he entire car was peeling like a bad sunburn. ok heres the link to the front bumper thread,theres a lot of info on doing this on there. https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=47771
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 01-20-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Actually i use motor oil my self. Found out by mistake that it keeps em black for quite a while.

wp

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lxi

i did mine a couple of weeks ago with regular black spraypaint and some primer no sanding or anything....just newspapered it off and did some taping and i was done!

[IMG][/IMG]

Vehicle

what kind of spray paint did you use? bumpers expand and contract a lot and you'll start getting craze marks and chips after a while unless it's flexible type paint. thats why i had so much trouble getting the paint off of my rear bumper i found,someone kept repainting it with spray paint and the paint kept cracking and splitting so they just sprayed over it again,and again,and again-etc.

LX User

i prefer painting myself.
    if you want a different way, try this:

later.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Quote Originally Posted by TypeG
    i prefer painting myself.
    if you want a different way, try this:

later.