Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of Oil?

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i

Types of Oil?

I was wondering what type of oil i should use for my car? What do you guys think is the best oil for our cars if you run them hard more often than not? Something not to high in price either. Not that 5 bucks a quart shit.
    Thanks,

Chris
    *1986 Honda Accord Lx-i* 5-spd.
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord
    stick with genuine Honda Oil. 5w30 if your motor is lower miles is recommended. Some say that if you have a higher mileage motor to run 10w30 since it is slightly thicker and won't burn as easily from what I understand.

Personally I run pennzoil since when I get it done at walmart they include 4mnths roadside assistance which has been paying off for me since I've had it.
    CoAsTeR

88' Honda Accord LX
    www.coastersride.cjb.net
    Visit my website for pics and how-to's

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    My rev hard motor oil is:
    Mobile 1 / 20w-50
    or
    Valvoline VR1 Racing oil / 20w-50

B&M trick shift fluid for the auto comin soon.
    - llia

Mobile Driveclean or Castrol drive hard (real cheap at Costco!) 10W30 on a 219k mile motor
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

1988starter
    I am a penzoil kind of guy 10w 30 with 1 bottle of stp 4 cyl engine treatment.

LX User
    Vehicle
    86'Honda Accord Lx-i
    I've been using Penzoil 5w30 but i think i'm gonna change to Castrol GTX 10w30. I want to step it up a notch, plus i'm at like 145,000 miles, which ain't real high, but i noticed that my oil burns quicker with the 5w30 shit. This change from Penzoil 5w30 to Castrol GTX 10w30 won't hurt my car will it? I'm also gonna add some engine cooling shit to it from advance auto so it runs cooler b/c right now it runs a little hot.

Thanks,

Chris
    *1986 Honda Accord Lx-i* 5-spd.
    17" Konig Maxxum Cam 178's wrapped in 205/40/ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras, Eibach Sportlines, Tokico struts, 92-95 civic custom short ram air intake, Magnaflow streetseries exhaust, 20% tint all around, Red/Black taillights, painted calipers and drums, hyperwhite corner bulbs, blue interior lights, Racing pedals, Carbon fiber shift knob

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    My brand of oil-Synthetic pennzoil 10w30
    Carl

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    wow it must be cold if you use 5w 30

I was told that the 5 is the actual weight of the oil.... the 30 is the range that the oil imitates.

5w acts and or protects like a 30w

but I could be wrong.
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    thats why you'll never see 30w-30... instead it just says 30

I found a 20w-60 the other day... hmm maybe I should mix some in with the oil that has been burning off lately.
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i use castrol. they are really good. no thermal breakdown and $1.67 in walmart. reall cheap and real quality.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    i used to use regular oil now i use synthetic and wow ! what a difference , any way i use mobil 1 with a genuine Honda oil filter ! !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    I use Moblie1 Fully synthetic oil. (not cheap) sorry! But if you care about your engine, only the best will do.
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Laguna Gold DX Coupe
    quaker state synthetic 10w30 high performance blend (about $2.50 a quart) and a cheap fram filter. I have 149,000 on mine.
    '88 DX Coupe, Laguna Gold, auto, carbed, pedal covers, 5.25" Pilot Motorsports Resonator Tip, flipped lid, cut A/C belt, 15" Saturn aluminum Wheels with Firehawk GTA's, Aiwa CD deck, Jensen 6x9's and Boss 5.25 speakers, red honda emblems, red wiper arms, Sunroof, blue neon in back window.
    Soon to add underbody red neon and possibly EFI???????

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    I use Mobil 1 full synthetic with a genuine Honda filter. Not cheap, but I like to treat her well, and she treats me well in return. 293k miles on my motor and burns no oil
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
    I use Mobil 1 full synthetic with a genuine Honda filter. Not cheap, but I like to treat her well, and she treats me well in return. 293k miles on my motor and burns no oil
    Wow! Synthetic goes a long way don't it?
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    Speaking of filters, just what type of oil filters do all of you use? I like to use a mobil 1 filter.
    Carl

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i use fram Xtra guard. Damn u sythetic guys, got lotsa money. heheh, i wanna try that next time i change oil. a bit expensive, but i wanna see how it performs.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
    Castrol GTX 10w30 is what I have always used. I pretty much was under the impression that synthetic oil was for HIGH performance cars? In detail how does your car benefit from synthetic and what are the draw backs?? 200,000miles on my ride.
    86 accord dx wrecked

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    Actually I'm running castrol Gtx 10w30 now, I put it in after doing my motor swap. The motor I had before had 200K+ miles on it and I was using pennzoil synthetic 5w30.

With the synthetic, the engine to me ran a little smoother and it cut down on oil consumption. I rather pay for the extra protection that comes with synthetic motor oil.
    Carl

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi
    AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 and AMSOIL SDF-36 oil filter. Change the filter at 6 months and the oil & filter annually.

I drive about 15,000 miles per year which would be 5 oil changes if I did them at 3000 mile intervals. It comes out cheaper in the long run. For 5 quarts of oil and 2 oil filters, I pay about $60 and it takes about 30 minutes each time I crawl under the car. Plus, I'm only putting 5 quarts of oil and 2 filters into recycling vesus 20 quarts and 5 filters if I were using dino oil. Saving time, money and the environment plus I'm reducing the amount of foreign oil that has to come into the USA.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    and you have a foreign car

are you saying you change your oil once a year?
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord LXi
    Yes, I change oil and filter once a year. AMSOIL guarantees the oil to perform for one year or 35,000 miles, whichever comes first. They had the first API approved motor oil in 1972, which was 4 years before Mobil 1 was introduced. I also do oil analysis to monitor the oil from time to time. I was able to diagnose an EGR problem that had not thrown any codes or caused any performance problems from the report.

I may have a Japanese-made car but, that has nothing to do with imported oil. Most of the gasoline and other petroleum products used in the US are produced from imported oil. It seems to me that most of the oil producing countries have been producing terrorsists as easily as oil. Just trying to take a little money out of their hands and keep it in the US.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx

CASTROL SYNTEC 5W30!

I change my oil twice a year . I put 25,000 miles on my car a year.
    I use Castrol Syntec 5w30 Year round and it works great. In my mind synthetic oil is the way to go because i can spend 50 bucks on fliters and oil a year compared to about 80 bucks on castrol gtx and fliters.
    1986 honda accord lx sedan
    new 2.25'' from headers back with magnaflow street series muffler
    aiwa cd player ,POlk ex 6.5 componet system, pioneer 6.5 rear speakers, 2 pioneer 10'' impp subs, pioneer 200 watt 2 channel amp. carb intake in progress, get my 88 coupe in september and am planning on efi swap and a b16a with maybe a supercharger and 17'' wheels and a few other things. talk to me on aol :carbed86lx.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback
    I change mine every 3000 miles or every 3 months whatever comes first. YOU CAN NEVER EVER EVER EVER CHANGE YOUR OIL TOO OFTEN. If you had the ability to change your oil everyday your car would last until the end of time or at least until the day you die. (granted you treat it with proper care and do hit trees in cemetaries!)
    86 accord dx wrecked