Thread: removing ball joint -- can I use gear puller?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 accord lx

removing ball joint -- can I use gear puller?

I have to re-boot an axle on my 86 LXI hatch.

I used to separate ball joints with a pickle fork, but I think it's a bad idea (unless you're changing the bj) cuz it can tear the boot (even if you're careful) & eventually kill the bj.

I've been thinking about buying a puller. I know that a lot of tie-rod/pittman arm pullers work for the tie-rod & our ball joints, but can I use a gear puller?

I've been thinking about buying the craftsman 2-3 arm convertible gear puller because I also want to be able to use it to pull the crank pulley off my friend's neon to do a t-belt (you NEED a puller for that job!). I don't want to buy 2 tools if I can get away with using 1 for both jobs.

Has anyone ever used one of these gear pullers with 2 arms to separate a bj on our accords? Will it also fit a tie rod?

Or do you think the arms will not grip right and slip when I try to separate the joint?

thanks a lot for any help.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    well, here is my experience with puller.
    some ball joins will pop out very easy, but some other ones will need some work.
    the problem with pullers is that you can bend the shaft and you will never get the bolt on it again. in this case use fork.
    i like fork better.
    Alex.

DX User
    Compair your gear puller to your ball joint. Which is more expensive? In my opinion you should just take your time, make sure you have the pickle fork were you want it and hit it strait! If this is done correctly you shouldn't rip the boot. If you do, inspect it, you may find out it needed to be replaced anyway. I don't think there that expensive though. I've taken mine off and on four times so far and i've had no problems so far. Knock on wood! Just make sure you use the tool correctly and you should have no problem. Good luck man! :smokin: