Thread: Factory Suspension

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch

Question Factory Suspension

I have replaced nothing on my suspension for my '86 Hatch. What do I need to get it back to showroom condition? I pretty much know what i REALLY need (ie struts, ball joints) but what in the line of say, bushings, control arms, whatever. Do I need new cambers or can the bushings be replaced if they're not bent?

Also, I'm not looking to drop my car or put 17's on it, so would something like KYB struts be satisfactory for what I'm looking for, or would the run of the mill Monroes do the same thing? I've read the posts on suspension and I'm kind of confused, would getting new springs(if i'm NOT lowering) be a good upgrade for the car considering what I"m looking for?

Any help would be nice...
    Last edited by Dibbs; 07-14-2003 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp

Re: Factory Suspension

Originally posted by Dibbie
    I have replaced nothing on my suspension for my '86 Hatch. What do I need to get it back to showroom condition? I pretty much know what i REALLY need (ie struts, ball joints) but what in the line of say, bushings, control arms, whatever. Do I need new cambers or can the bushings be replaced if they're not bent?

Also, I'm not looking to drop my car or put 17's on it, so would something like KYB struts be satisfactory for what I'm looking for, or would the run of the mill Monroes do the same thing? I've read the posts on suspension and I'm kind of confused, would getting new springs(if i'm NOT lowering) be a good upgrade for the car considering what I"m looking for?

Any help would be nice...
    Their's simply no way to say what parts on your ride are warn out and need to be replaced. The springs can wear out on these cars, but it's rare. You can replace them with oem springs, but unless you've got something telling you the one's you have now are not up to specs, I can't tell you spending the money is a good idea. Given how cheap you can get KYB GR-2's, in your case since you don't want to lower, you'd do just fine with them. I'd go for the KYB's over the monroe's by a big margin, beside's good luck beating the GR-2's price from www.tirerack.com. (to anyone else reading what I just said, GR-2's are oem replacements, not to be used on a lowered car, their way to weak for that). On the camber issue, it's always the right thing to do to have the car aligned at a shop after that kind of suspension work, what might be out of spec, you'll have to see at that point. Honestly, I did not want to spend the money on a alignment and I didn't after I did my suspension. They say it's a good thing to do, but since I didn't have any issue when I drove the car afterwards, I couldn't see paying for it.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    '86 LX-i Hatch
    That's the way I am about alignments too. One of my high school buds inherited his dads tire shop. He hassles me about getting an alignment but he's just jerking my chain. If I really need work done, he'll let me know. I see him way too often though. I go through tires at an incredibile rate hence, why I'm redoing the suspension. I probably could have bought my suspension for what I've paid for tires in the past 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987/honda/accord
    YOU are in luck. i just got done almost completely rebuilding my suspension in my 87 hatch.....wow it was a bitch. project started out with cv joints and a clutch. when i took my wheel off my left front spring was cracked in 2 places and my struts were shit. i would STRONGLY suggest new sway bar links mine were TERRIBLY corroded to almost half the factory diameter. we had to cut the forkson the struts from the lower control arms and get new lower control arms. then the bolt that held the lower control arm to the frame broke and its a Blind self locking nut so we had to cut a hole in the frame to get to it and repair it then re-brace that part of the frame. i also had to heat up the forks to get them from the struts. i would also suggest all new rubber and hardware. just be ready to go back to the dealership for more parts once you start. GOOD LUCK. :super:
    yeah....98 horsepower of death!